Gnome Doll

Misa

Question

UPDATED COSTUME AND A WIFE -- SEE POST #46 :hook

:sigh After four years of not being able to crochet I go back to designing and pick a real challenger. Well, I designed this crochet gnome but I'm not sure I like him. Face and body is fine...beard and hair I can live with but I'm not liking the coat and belt. He looks like the Gorton's Fisherman to me :lol

So, I thought maybe I'd have other folks take a look and tell me what they think and where better than the 'Ville :manyheart

Here's a link http://happyyellowhouse.com/share2.html could use some constructive criticism here, I think :yes Is it really as bad as I think it is? :blush

Oh, he's wonderful!! I like the "7 Dwarves" look of him - wouldn't it be fun to do 7 of them all in different colors, and then make a Snow White? Umm, not that I'm capable of making up such patterns, but if *you* did *I'd* certainly make them! :lol

I like the "7 Dwarves" look of him - wouldn't it be fun to do 7 of them all in different colors, and then make a Snow White? Umm, not that I'm capable of making up such patterns, but if *you* did *I'd* certainly make them! :lol

I agree, I'd make them, as well. What a fun set that would be!

Oh, he's wonderful!! I like the "7 Dwarves" look of him - wouldn't it be fun to do 7 of them all in different colors, and then make a Snow White? Umm, not that I'm capable of making up such patterns, but if *you* did *I'd* certainly make them! :lol

Hmmm that's not a bad idea at all :scrachin Now I just need to go find out if Disney holds the copyright to the story first :D

Well, I took Cupcake and Rosered's suggestions to heart and here is the new and improved Gnome Doll along with the pattern if anyone's interested :D

I shortened his coat which took away the "Fishstick Man" look to him and added a brass buckle to his belt :) I'm really pleased with him now. What do y'all think?

http://happyyellowhouse.com/gnome.html

I'm still going to add a shovel for him to hold. I've never crocheted a shovel before :scrachin But I think I have a good idea for it in mind...just need to send DH and DNephew to the store later on for the right color yarns :lol

Disney does not hold copyright to the story, BUT they do hold copyright to the dwarves' names and facial features. Therefore you couldn't have a dwarf with glasses named "Doc". But you could give them different features, for example, a one legged dwarf with crutches named "Gimpy". <sorry>

BTW, my son is a Little Person and likes that story and he would especially love your little guy. Maybe I'll name him Eric!

Thank you so much for sharing your gnome pattern with us. I absolutely love him. I plan to make a few for our house! We love gnomes! I can see I'm going to need to find lots of flesh coloured yarn!

I love your gnome, My oldest daughter 15 loves them. I just printed out the pattern and going to start making him tonight. I think he is sweet just the way he is and I'm sure my daughter will think so too. Thank-you very much!!

Oddly enough this thread has been revived just as I have put the finishing touches on a female companion just this very evening :hook

Country Yarns - I actually changed his coat to red before I did the final pattern. I thought I posted the pic but I don't see it now :think

Anyway, just as a refresher.....here's the male gnome:

gnome.png

And here's the newly completed female:

gnora.jpg

With the help of the gals in another CAL I'm in they are named Gnorman and Gnora :lol

Thanks tons to everyone for your helpful suggestions. They really made a big difference :manyheart

I laughed right out loud when I saw his pic. Think he is terrific just the way he is. I usually do not care for gnomes and such but he is just too much. crfty

Archived