before I post

carrie_dyer

I want to make sure it's considered original. OK I looked the picture of the carseat blanket in SNB and skimmed the pattern. I changed the Yarn type hook size, # of rows and the way you make the hole for the buckle. it is considered original after making those changes or would I post it as "adapted from....."

Changing the hook size and # of rows isn't enough to make it original. :(

I'm not an intellectual property attorney, so I can't really address the issue of the opening change as far as legalities go. You'd need to consult an intellectual property attorney for that OR talk with the SNB publishers to see if they think your adapted pattern infringes upon their rights under copyright law.

But if it was just a simple matter of changing it from horizontal to vertical, then as far as our forum guidelines go, there haven't been enough changes for us to be comfortable with an actual pattern being posted here at Crochetville (or linked to from Crochetville).

What you could do is just make a post discussing the changes you made to the original pattern in general terms.

• 2 weeks later...

We went through copyrights in a class a month or so ago and our professor told us about a song writer who was sued for using a piece of someone else's work in his own. The bit was modified and almost impossible to recognize, but he lost, since had used someone else's work without telling them or paying royalties.

Copyright things are tricky, and by no means am I an expert, but if you use someone's pattern as a base to your own, you need to consult that person before publishing the pattern anywhere. That's if you extend the logic of that trial to crocheting.

I dont think you can post a "My version" Pattern here. You would need to PM amy and ask her directly. Personally I have adapted patterns for my self but I have never posted the pattern as my own nor have I posted it as a My version. guess its me I just dont want to be sued.

I already gave the official Crochetville answer to this question above. I guess people are posting after reading the initial post for the first time, without reading all the responses, and not realizing I've already provided the answer. :) No, the pattern can not be posted here.

Just to avoid the chance of any confusion on this issue, I'm going to go ahead and close the thread since the original question has been answered.

Archived