The "NEW" Mainstays Pounders - reply from walmart post #44

RoseRed

Just got back from my Wal Mart...not a single skein of Mainstays! :eek

Guess it wasn't meant to be. I'll try another WM during the week when I'm over that way.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so out of luck. I went to the Walmart here in Asheboro and then in Randleman and they did not have any mainstay and I did not ask if they planned to get any in the store. My next move is to go to Greensboro which is 30 mins away to see if I can find the yarn. If not I guess I will have to get over it and move on.

The Wal-Mart in my hometown (Athens, Alabama) is getting rid of their craft section, so I was worried that all, or most of the Wal-Marts were getting rid of theirs too. This is good news, and maybe it means that Mainstays is coming back! I hope it doesn't mean that they are clearing out the yarn in the warehouses, and clear it all out to get rid of the craft items... :( Thinking positively, they're adding yarn, so they're keeping the craft section!! :)

Victoria

I saw that yarn today when I went and the price is great for the size it is at least it is to me. The only two colors they had that was of interest to me was the black and what looked like a light green camo color but I was there to buy baby yarn so I had to past it up but I did feel it and it was soft like Caron SS.

I finished Amber's flannelghan and it had a chance to 'rest' over night and the entire ghan shrunk by about 6" around.

You can't check your guage until it has a chance to spring back together. (So much for instant gratification :( )

I've been seeing the pounders at my local Walmart. I want to buy some but I'm the type to only buy things when I have a project in mind. And I worry about them just discontinuing it again so I'm left with a project with no way to get more yarn for it.

I ask the lady in the craft dept. today and she said it is something was just sent to them. They had sold really well though. She didn't know if they would get any more or not.. Her theory was that they are cleaning out the warehouse and were not going to make it anymore..... BUT I was thinking that this isn't like the old mainstays yarn so I wouldn't really think it was "leftovers".. It is much softer, as mentioned, and the colors are totally different. OH WELL guess we will just have to wait and see.. I have stocked up on about 20 skeins though:eek

Hhmmm.... checked my local Walmart today (in Federal Way) and no pounders to be seen.... bummer dude. Maybe they just haven't made it to the west coast yet?

~k

I ask the lady in the craft dept. today and she said it is something was just sent to them. They had sold really well though. She didn't know if they would get any more or not.. Her theory was that they are cleaning out the warehouse and were not going to make it anymore..... BUT I was thinking that this isn't like the old mainstays yarn so I wouldn't really think it was "leftovers".. It is much softer, as mentioned, and the colors are totally different. OH WELL guess we will just have to wait and see.. I have stocked up on about 20 skeins though:eek

I don't recall ever seeing the pounder skeins of Mainstay until just recently. You are right...the colors are definitely new.

Before Mainstay was supposedly "discontinued", the Walmarts in my area only carried the 8 oz skeins.

charkitty

I washed and dried Ambers flannelghan yesterday. I was comepletely amazed at how soft and comfy this yarn comes out.

I LOVE it in 2 strands - it's soft, thick, light and fluffy! :c9

It does a significant shrinkage in the dryer. I would suggest washing and drying a gauge square before determining the size -especially for clothing.

Barbara - It is sooooooooooooo worth buying!!!!!!!!! Just like anything new - it takes some getting used to. I'm hoping and crossing my fingers that they come out with enough colors to not have to use RH ever again!

I LOVE the new Mainstays!!!!!!!!! Please, try something with it - at least give it a chance.

I checked my local walmart and they have some mainstays pounders, but bummer not in the baby blue I need to finish my baby afghan. that will teach me to just pick up a yarn out of my stash and start something!:angry We don't have many colors to choose from at our Walmart. We only have white,black, yellow and some ugly multi color. I wish there was a way to get Walmart to bring it back. Isn't bad enough they have done away with layaways, do they have to tease us with the yarn we like too.

I just heard today (from a fellow crocheter &) Walmart craft dept. employee who asked about future Mainstays shipments because she loves it and was told -

That it was a warehouse overstock that the company found and that there will be no more after this last shipment.

Now that makes no sense to me or her since it's not the old Mainstays. I'm going email Walmart directly and ask them. cross your fingers that I get an answer.

I went to walmart today. Of course I had to visit the craft department. I searched for Mainstay brand, but didn't see any. I asked the lady in the dept. about it. She said they carried it awhile back, but no more. She didn't know if they would carry it at a later date. She also said that the craft departments across the country may be downsized.

Thank you for your message.

We apologize, but we will no longer be going forward with our brand of Mainstays yarn in our Wal-Mart stores. We strive to provide excellent customer service and quality products daily and we value every comment and suggestion we receive from our customers. One of the deciding factors in discontinuing this line of yarn was it did not meet Wal-Mart's nor the majority of our customer's quality standards.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you,

Customer Relations

it was a warehouse overstock that the company found and that there will be no more after this last shipment.

Now that makes no sense to me or her since it's not the old Mainstays. I'm going email Walmart directly and ask them. cross your fingers that I get an answer.

Thank you for your message.

We apologize, but we will no longer be going forward with our brand of Mainstays yarn in our Wal-Mart stores. We strive to provide excellent customer service and quality products daily and we value every comment and suggestion we receive from our customers. One of the deciding factors in discontinuing this line of yarn was it did not meet Wal-Mart's nor the majority of our customer's quality standards.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you,

Customer Relations

See, I think they sent you the canned "Mainstays" answer. It doesn't even address the fact that Mainstays has shown up in the stores recently...they stopped "going forward" with it about a year ago. Why are some people finding new, different skeins of Mainstays? The warehouse overstock theory doesn't make sense to me, either...because y'all have clearly indicated that this is a different type of yarn altogether.

I wish real customer no-service reps would read customer messages and write a real direct reply to the questions asked.

Thank you for trying anyhow. Dang ol' Walmart!!

It does a significant shrinkage in the dryer. I would suggest washing and drying a gauge square before determining the size -especially for clothing.

It shrinks?? I didn't think plain acrylic yarn could shrink :think I may have to re-evaluate future yarn purchases if some acrylic yarns shrink. :(

I might be "REALLY OLD" leftovers. I bought a 12" frying pan there last year, they had 5 of them on sale for $7 clearance. I could tell by the design that it was from the 70's or early '80's. Was bright blue colored with a metal lid. Wish I had bought more tha\n one. It's lasted me almost a year so far without the nonstick surface tearing up. Maybe someone knows when mainstays started and what it looked like then.

I went back and bought what our local walmart had left. Thanks to all that posted about there not being anymore. I really like this yarn for the price!

I had to hide it in the closet so my other half doesnt find it. He would have a fit!

Archived