Deaf Crocheter from So. California

tahlara

Hello, my first ever post. Yes, I am profound deaf who enjoys crochetting and other fabric arts.

I live in North Hollywood, CA - between Burbank and San Fernando Valley areas. (Los Angeles area)

I wonder if there are some deaf crocheters out there ? Recently, I started my local deaf crochet circle with few friends meeting once per month.

Hugs all over the forum, can't wait to know others!

P.S. When I am tired, I tend to think in American Sign Language, my native language. So pardon my English, if my grammar seems odd. I don't consider typos as it's another language "typoese"! :P

Hi!!! I'm not deaf, but I taught deaf and hard of hearing elementary kids for a couple years before my son was born. I've got a group of crocheters that meets in Houston, and I've often said that if they know anyone who is deaf and wants to crochet, that I'd LOVE to meet them! :) I wish we were closer, then we could crochet and sign. Hehe, I bet there is more chatting than crocheting going on though, since you can't sign and crochet at the same time without getting a big knot lol. If we could only master the art of crocheting with one hand, then sign with the other, that might work lol. :) Welcome to the 'ville!! It's a great place! Don't worry about your grammar, looks great to me!

Victoria

Vickietoria - Oh, you are right on the nose about chatting and crochetting! Hehe, I started my local deaf crochet circle few months ago. It just is a circle of few friends and myself. We enjoy watching tv, eating, crochetting (mainly me teach them how) and of course chatting. We tend to have a party out of it! We did it once per month at my place. Once a while, we go out on field trips to start up or complete a project, usually at Micheal's. Great to meet you and hope we can know each other more!

Is there a charity that sponsor deaf children or anything deaf related, you know?

I don't know of one, but I make items for my kids at school. I taught at a public school, and each year, I make 1 afghan for each 5th grader (it's an elementary school, so the 5th graders are the ones graduating) who is in the deaf/hard of hearing program. I know the teachers there very well, and I would love to start something!! :) We could make items for the kids in the deaf program, but the items themselves would not have to be deaf related, like hearing aid holder or something. I've seen this really neat jester hat that I think the kids would love, and there is always a need for hats/scarves/mittens for the kids, although, it doesn't get cold here too much in Houston, TX. That would be fun for you/us to start. We could donate items to deaf schools around the nation, or stick to one that you or a member of your group graduated from, or just whatever. That's such a great idea!! :) I don't know of a charity already started, but it's not hard to find someone who needs something and send it to them lol. Do you know how to do PMs? That way we can chat personally, and maybe brainstorm some ideas. If you don't know how, I can PM you first, and you'll see how to do it. You can just right click on my name at the top, and click on where it says to send a PM. Then it should be fairly simple. I look forward to hearing from you, and maybe starting something? :)

Victoria

Hi Diane and Welcome to C'ville from cold Michigan! :wbrr:wcold:snow Wouldn't mind being where you are!:P

Having your circle is so cool and sounds like so much fun! Good for you!

:hug:manyheart

Archived