Bright colored squares for hospital use

judianne

Hi!

I've learned of a hospital not too far from me where young patients stay for long-term care as they try to rehab from brain injuries. Brightly colored lapghans would be appreciated for when they are brought outside in their wheelchairs, weather permitting. I don't have that much in the way of these colors, but would be willing to put them together if anyone would like to send them to me. Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you with my addy.

So, light or bright colors - no black, please. And 6 inch squares would be great.

I'm also doing lapghans for a bereavement ministry, so more "adult" colors would be welcome, too, for that, if you're willing and able...:manyheart

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Judi! Which brain trauma unit are you doing these for? Hartwyck at Oak Tree? (Edison) That's where my son is, and the patients LOVED the lapghans and hats and scarves I had for them at Christmas. I'm now getting things together so that every new patient gets a lapghan when they are admitted.

Hi Judi! Which brain trauma unit are you doing these for? Hartwyck at Oak Tree? (Edison) That's where my son is, and the patients LOVED the lapghans and hats and scarves I had for them at Christmas. I'm now getting things together so that every new patient gets a lapghan when they are admitted.

that is an awesome idea...as soon as I catch up I will get some squares together.

Kathy...yup..this is to help out Hartwyck...and my other charity, as well. Do you want to join forces here?:think

Thanks, so much, Angelfire....our work for the hospital, etc, will be ongoing, so whenever you have the time to contribute will be just fine. Thanks!:manyheart

Also: as I make progress on putting the squares together I'll post pics here so you can all be more involved in the outcome!

What size squares are you collecting ladies?

I live in NJ, spent a few years in Edison but over on the other side- near Stelton Road.

As a special ed teacher I've worked with a few TBI patients in my career.

"There but not for the grace of God, go I"

Would like to help out.

Lorraine, 6 inch squares are great...whenever you can do them and send them is fine. No pressure. I'll PM my addy to you.

Thanks!:manyheart

hi,

I would like to help out,I can make some squares and scarfs.Let me know where to send them and if there is a deadline.

Thanks,

Terry :)

Thanks, Terry...:manyheart

There's no deadline, since this will likely be an ongoing thing. Scarves are always welcome, from what I was told, and 6 inch squares of bright colors for the lapghans will be easy for me to assemble...there are mostly younger people at this hospital, which is why the brighter colors.

I forgot to mention earlier, no wool, of course, for lots of reasons...

If you have other colors you'd like to send, except for black, I also have another place that needs some lapghans.

No pressure, no deadlines! Thanks!

Alysha, thank you...whenever you want to contribute, let me know and I'll PM my addy to you.

Terry and Stacy, you should have gotten that info...I sent PM's to you both.

Thanks so much:manyheart

I received the info...thank you for sending it. I've got about 15 done already, will work on more during the week, and I plan to send them out next Friday. How many do you think you need per lapghan?

Hi, Stacy,

My math is terrible, but the dimensions that seem right are roughly 36" by 42" - or so. So that's 78, 6 inch, squares if I'm right: 6 rows of squares across, 7 long.:think

Also, could you PM me with YOUR addy, also? You're going to help tremendously with the pile of squares you're doing!

:hug

Excuse my ignorance but are granny squares suitable?

Granny squares are just fine! Thanks!:clap

And my math is wrong, I believe:think : I think I "only" need 42 per ghan!

"squirrel"...what's your first name?

And this will be an ongoing project, so whenever you want to make squares, and however many you want to make is fine!:)

Thank you!:clap

We can use any size from lapghan to afghan, also short shawls or shoulder wraps, just things for the patients to have color in their lives and something to snuggle up in.

One new young adult patient was crying in her wheelchair the other day, and I stopped to talk to her..she misses mom and home. I asked if she liked pink, and the next day I left her a pink lapghan on her chair as she slept. Now she responds when I say 'hi' to her every day. I hope it helped her feel more comfortable in a strange new world.

The staff has wisely placed her with a kind older woman who can hopefully help her feel more at home while she recovers.

Kathy, that's a wonderful story!

I have many squares coming my way and it sounds like lots of them will be bright, so I'll probably have something to add to your pile soon, I hope!:hook

Archived