Smart Stitch Holders

MindyJedi

stitchholders.jpgThese are stitch holders that remember what size hook you were using. They are made from coil-less safety pins. You can get these at most yarn shops, or order them from Patternworks.com; this is where these came from. Use these when you put down your project and you won't have to remember which of the hooks laying around you were using. These are perfect for people who A:Work on more that one project at a time. B:Tend to carry their hooks into the laundry room and loose them. Or C:Are slobs!

To make them, just straighten out the safety-pin only as far as you need to slide the beads past the bend. Then bend them closed again and the beads will not fall off.

The ones shown here are just the ones I have been using lately, plus the J-hook that is attached to my girlfriends baby blanket.

I will HAVE to make some of these! Usually, ok sometimes, I will write the hook size on the pattern, if I use a pattern, but there are more times than I can count that I have forgotten which size hook I was using for which project. I work on several projects at a time, and I am a slob!!

Cool. I was making them with jewelery stuff but these look much easier. I'll have to get some pins and alphabet beads and number beads since some of my wood hooks are just numbered in mm. Maybe I could add a W or P so I know if it was a nice wood hook or a plastic one, too.

Your stitch markers are soooo cute. I will definitely have to make myself some. I'm going to check Joann's and Michael's first for the coil less pins. I'm praying they'll have some. I'd hate to have to place an order to Patternworks just for safety pins (of course, I would probably order some yarn just to fill up the shipping box :blush ).

To remember whether you are using a wooden or plastic hook, just use the letter bead with wooden or plastic accent beads.:cheer

• 1 month later...

As far as numbers go, you could do 10, 20, 30 etc, or just a bunch of 10s to put up the side of a project to mark individual rows (I can never remember how many rows in I am on blankets I've put down, even overnight and never remember to write it down...)

In my current project I found it helpful to mark rows for certian things, like in sewing where things join or what have you.

www.wyndfiredesigns.com - I've been making them since 2004.

I like your designs. Especially the crystal ones. They are very pretty. But, me and ordinary safety pins don't agree. They seem to catch and snag the yarn in their little meniacal coils. Also, mine require absolutely no skill to create, making them cheaper too. But good luck with your endeavors.

Archived