Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got 23 squares in the mail today!!! :clap:hook

Wonderful! I'll start on my squares on Thursday and have them in the mail by Wednesday next week.

It's been a great day with the family here. Kim's been in her element watching the kids and being in the midst of all the hubbub. She is really tired tonight, but not about to quit until everyone else does.

Dusti, I stopped in at Joann's tonight to use a coupon. Mine has the Lion Holiday Homespun and I really had trouble NOT buying it last week :lol But then I saw the snowman and mouse ornament patterns on Lions site and found a reason to buy it :cheer I figure I'm going to make a bunch of those as little gifts for people and slowly buy using the coupons. Joann's here has them for 5.99 or 5.49 each. And I peeked at the Caron pound green ombre/varigated. It'll actually work, it's got a not quite white not quite cream, so it should be fine with the cream. I'm going to use the paler green, the dark (foresty) color green, light blue and a brighter blue. So I really need to start collecting coupons.

Erin, I have your squares packaged and ready to go. I couldn't stand in line at the PO today, and the machine wouldn't let me just purchase the .61 cent stamp, it said a minimum purchase of $1 is needed, so I figured I'd stick 2 stamps on it and get it sent out to you tomorrow.

Good Evening, Ladies.:)

Yep, decided on the PS. I'm going to keep a copy of the Garden Trellis pattern though for later use. But it'll be the PS for Mom and Dad. Now I need to actually decide on shades of yarn. Dad commented that he liked this one the best. I know Caron makes a green varigated, which has white in it if I remember right. And the varigated is the portion between the light and dark green. I was planning on using cream instead of white, so I'll have to see.

Your colors will be gorgeous together! :hook Someday I really want to make that pattern.

Thanks :blush It rather feels like cheating, since I worked on the saltines for 2+ weeks, and just reported them to you all at once...but it did feel good to make and use saltines, again. I am contemplating an autumn Irish Chain -- Uh-oh :lol Does anyone remember when Kidget posted two variations on the IC using oranges, greens and gold? I am going to IM her, and see if she would mind my working up one of her ideas. I still love the pattern, even after storing it for a year.

Gorgeous colors and prints in your quilt, Linda. Oh, it looks like SO much work, but you and Kim do seem to enjoy it :yes I hope you have time to work on it during your holiday to GA. I know you had a scenic detour on your way down, but, often, it is nice to take an alternative route and see something new. Stay safe.

Cara -- sounds like a great few days with your sisters and extended family. Lots of Bingo :yay

And, what FABULOUS news it is :hug I am so happy for all of you. Please pass along wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy to your DD. How exciting for everyone. You will have to share the patterns you are working on.

I drove straight home from Des Moines, IA, yesterday with only a quick side trip to return Mum to her house. She and I stayed with her college roommate on Friday & Saturday nights(lots of late-night chattering was accomplished!), attended a wedding on Saturday, and then headed home. I was planning to stay with her and my girls last night, but knowing how much work is waiting for me at home, and knowing I am departing on Wednesday for Chicago, I decided to drive the final 5 hours last night and get an early start on my chores, here. Once I started the washing machine and mixed up dough for cookies, I turned on the computer to catch up with all of you. :hi. I will be back this afternoon to read some more. Have a good one!!

Hi Dusti! I was raised in Des Moines! My Dad was transferred to Dallas when I was in the 9th grade and that's how I ended up in Texas. Wow! You've done lots of driving in the last few days. Yes, I remember the IC patterns in the Fall colors...let us know what you decide to do. :yes Is the Chicago trip for fun? Hope so!:manyheart

My DS (a chiro) is friends with a family he treats. The 2 young men are graduates of the Naval Academy and are now in the Marines....so it's going to have the Marine colors and logo. I'll put USMC on it along witht he family name. Just 2 color changes, so it shouldn't be hard.

Gorgeous pattern!

I know it will be beautiful, Judy. Looking forward to pictures. :hook

That's wonderful news, Mary! Congratulations!

Thank you, Linda.:manyheart

That is great news! :yay

Thank you, Jessica...we're pretty excited. :yes

Got 23 squares in the mail today!!! :clap:hook

[ATTACH]7051[/ATTACH]

They are all beautiful, Erin! Mine are ready to go in the mail tomorrow.

Wonderful! I'll start on my squares on Thursday and have them in the mail by Wednesday next week.

It's been a great day with the family here. Kim's been in her element watching the kids and being in the midst of all the hubbub. She is really tired tonight, but not about to quit until everyone else does.

I'm so glad you and Kim are able to be there. Seeing her grandkids must be so special. I hope you are able to get some you time with all of the activity.:hug

I am so sorry if I've missed anyone. DH has gone to check on his Mom and the phone keeps ringing. :( See you all tomorrow. :manyheart

Great start! Mine will be there within a week....

Wow! You're off to a great start Erin :clap I finished mine today and I'll send it out by Thursday for sure :yes

Erin, I have your squares packaged and ready to go. I couldn't stand in line at the PO today, and the machine wouldn't let me just purchase the .61 cent stamp, it said a minimum purchase of $1 is needed, so I figured I'd stick 2 stamps on it and get it sent out to you tomorrow.

They are all beautiful, Erin! Mine are ready to go in the mail tomorrow.

Sounds Fab!!! Thanks all :D

Good morning everyone.

I got 12 more solids done for the PTC yesterday. I think I have to put it back on hold again though. I only have two more blocks but I'm low on two of the colors.

Wow! Only two blocks left. :clap I can't wait to see the finished project even if it has to wait awhile. :hook

Well, today has not been a good one, and its only 10am! Josh shut off his alarms(yes he has two set) and got outta bed with 10 minutes to get to work on time, I think he managed it, only because he skipped shaving and a shower, and we live 5 miles away. Alexander slept in a little, but I kept thinking I heard him so I didn't get to sleep in, and when I finally got up for him my hip gave out(its been bugging me for 4 days) and I went BAM to the floor. I dunno how but I was laughing and crying at the same time. lol. I took some meds and for now its alright, but man, what a start.

Dusti, I stopped in at Joann's tonight to use a coupon. Mine has the Lion Holiday Homespun and I really had trouble NOT buying it last week :lol But then I saw the snowman and mouse ornament patterns on Lions site and found a reason to buy it :cheer I figure I'm going to make a bunch of those as little gifts for people and slowly buy using the coupons. Joann's here has them for 5.99 or 5.49 each. And I peeked at the Caron pound green ombre/varigated. It'll actually work, it's got a not quite white not quite cream, so it should be fine with the cream. I'm going to use the paler green, the dark (foresty) color green, light blue and a brighter blue. So I really need to start collecting coupons.

Oh, those colors sound like they will be fabulous together!

Erin, please take care. What a way to start the day!

Jonathan and family are down swimming in the lake this morning, so Kim and I have the house to ourselves and can have a quiet morning. She's getting her morning nebulizer treatment at the moment and then we'll get her a shower. It's been kind of nuts here, but it's so nice that she's getting some time to spend with her family. She gets to see Jonathan and the grandkids so seldom with them living in Texas. Another friend is coming down later (today I think) to spend some time with us, too.

The shawl back is done and 2/3 of one of the sides.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Good morning everyone.

I got 12 more solids done for the PTC yesterday. I think I have to put it back on hold again though. I only have two more blocks but I'm low on two of the colors.

Would you like me to raid my stash?:devil

Donnna (sew)

Great, I'm glad to have you join ! It sounds like you are already "hooked" on these afghans . :)

My handy dandy joining method is the one I described before in the crochet-a-quilt area, I think it was .

Anyhow, here goes-- I hope I can explain it clear enough. I'm better at showing people than explaining it :

When you make a project like this, with many squares to join that make a pattern , I make them by row . I start at the top left of the design and work my way across horizontally .

THEN, I do the second row the same - I start at the left, making each square specified for that row , and continue doing this .

It may make it easier too if you print out some of the free graph paper online, then graph out your afghan so that you know which color comes next, then mark them off as you make them .

To join, you will need to have the first 2 rows ' worth of squares completed .

Lay them out in order -

Then ,start with the 1st square in row 1 ,and the first square in row 2 .

Put them together, good sides facing . Either sc or sl st across the 2 squares where they would join in the afghan . Do not finish off, but take square 2 from the 1st row, and square 2 from the second row, place them together same way , then continue across , joining these 2 . Pick up the 2 3rd squares, continue in the same way with them . Do this across the entire afghan, so that at the end, you will have the first 2 rows joined clear across the afghan .

THEN, when you get all the squares for the 3rd row complete, you will add them in the same manner, hooking them directly onto the piece you already have -- just make sure you join them in order and onto the 2nd row.

It is especially easy if you have someplace you can lay out your rows so you see which one comes next .

You continue this for each row, so by the time you get the last row added, you have the entire thing joined HORIZONTALLY .

Then, you will need to go back and do the same sc or sl st joining VERTICALLY, but this part is MUCH easier since the entire afghan is already hooked in one piece .

This makes joining a breeze and a LOT LESS sewing and weaving in ends, etc .

Hope it works well for you ! :manyheart

I am currently working on the Around the World Quilt. I would love to use this joining technique but I am afraid the number of colors would make joining by row impossible.

Does anyone think that this can be used on the diagnal attaching two sides at once?

Good morning ladies :flower

Linda - I'm so glad Kim is enjoying the family :manyheart You'll need an extra week just to recover :lol

Erin - Ouch! What a way to start the day :eek Hope it has improved greatly :hug

SoSweet - I'm sure one of the ladies can help you with Julie's handy dandy joining method. I know a couple have used it but I'm not familiar with it :no

I overslept today :blush I didn't set my alarm but it took me forever to get to sleep last night. But that's okay. I'm relatively refreshed and deciding what to do today. I need to do some sewing but I don't know if I'm up to that or not :lol Might just be a good day to work on my LC some more :hook

I am currently working on the Around the World Quilt. I would love to use this joining technique but I am afraid the number of colors would make joining by row impossible.

Does anyone think that this can be used on the diagnal attaching two sides at once?

I haven't done it as organized as JUlie did....but I leave a long tail at then end of each square to use for joining, this way you have the same color as the square to work with. IMO, there's no reason you can't do the ATW row by row. I did mine in sections, though, from the center out.

Judy if you want to you can but it's no big deal. I'm low on berry blue and limelight I think (it's the caron SS brights green)

Let me check my SS tote...brb

Judy - Your stash never ceases to amaze me! For this and many other reasons, you sure are nice to have around. :D

I ever met a yarn sale I didn't like:lol

But now I'm trying to DO something with it!;)

Hi Dusti! I was raised in Des Moines! My Dad was transferred to Dallas when I was in the 9th grade and that's how I ended up in Texas. Wow! You've done lots of driving in the last few days. Yes, I remember the IC patterns in the Fall colors...let us know what you decide to do. :yes Is the Chicago trip for fun? Hope so!:manyheart

Small world. My mother's college roommate lives in Dumont, so we stayed with her, attended the wedding, and visited on either side of the ceremony. The drive averaged 7 hours/day, so it was long, but Mum and I never ran out of chatter in all of that time :lol Yes, the Chicago trip is 100% fun for me. My best friend from college and I try to get together at least once every year. She was planning to come north this fall, but she recently found out she is pregnant, and I would rather do the traveling than to have her use vacation days from work to visit me (she should have those days once Baby arrives). Five days of playing in Chicago...it will be a lot of fun :yes She does not crochet, so I am not sure if she will know of any great LYS, but I can hope. I have a few projects packed, and I hope I can, at least, finish the jumper I started for DD. School starts in less than 2 weeks...I can do it :cheer.

Have a good rest of the week. I hope you all have lots of :crocheting time!

'Til Monday, :waving

Good morning ladies! I'm still working on the dragon, almost all of the pieces are done and I've started putting it together. I need to do that since some pieces are left and right pieces. And I've been putting those pieces off so I don't get them mixed up.

I got a new playtoy last night!! Isn't it pretty? It's a 2005 with only 11,700 miles!

post-17398-135897438354_thumb.jpg

Archived