Do you work?

I am the former editor of Crochet World magazine and am currently on short term disability waiting for long term disability as a result of my ppMS. I crochet as much as my hands will allow me to. I really believe that crochet is a healing art, and that life is much improved by doing it. When I worked in the office, I still crocheted during my lunch hour and for at least an hour every night, frequently more. For 23 years before editorship, I was a free-lance designer and "work" was "crochet", with some knitting and of course pattern writing thrown in.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a stay at home mom, I tryed to work after 10 years of being a stay at home mom.. I worked at Mcdonalds for a 1 1/2 years, but the more i worked the wose my back pain got and my knees gave out. n i was in tears by the end of the night

so Now i'm a 100% stay at home mom now. and plan on keeping it that way a few more years will the kids are a lil older. would like to waite till my oldest is driving. so I can get him a used car. and If one of his siblings are sick. and i"m working n can't get away.. He can at least go get them n take them to his grandma's. then go back to school.

I just dont know of any jobs that are so flexable that will fit with my hectic life. and that cand eal with my constant pain. a sit down job would be nice. or a job where I dont have to sit or stand for long periods. and can let me walk around when i need to so i can work out my aches

I am 67 and retired from outside employment, but spent most of my life working and raising a family. There were times I worked 3 jobs just to help make ends meet and keep house and family together. But I always made time to crochet, during breaks or lunches, while kids were napping or early nights. Riding in car with someone else driving. I have crocheted since I was 7, so crocheting was as much a part of my life as breathing.

Oh and sewing too, making curtains, quilts, pillows and clothes for the kids from outgrown items.

• 7 months later...

I have worked part-time for a number of years as a paralegal doing research for real estate appraisers but the first of last year, I stopped doing that. Seems like I am busier retired that I was working. I keep finding or they find me, projects that need doing that doesn't produce any money, such as the church prayer shawl/afghan ministry which is quite large. Also singing in the church choir and traveling with our travel choir that does back up singing for the top names in southern gospel music. Always another project but it sure makes an interesting experience because I would not fair well if I didn't have a waiting project list.

• 8 months later...

Yes, I work - however I'm hoping to start my own non-profit crochet ministry. I want to do full-time crochet ministry at some point in time, but until then --- I work a job that allows me plenty of time to crochet, volunteer at my local psych clinic, stay involved with church, and crochet as much as possible. Someday I hope crochet will pay my bills, but I'll keep on working so I can crochet.

I, unfortunately, work full time. Anywhere from 40 to 80 hours a week. The 80 hour weeks cut into my crocheting WAY too much!

• 3 weeks later...

I am a sahm of 4 kids, I had a business for 10 yrs prior to that but became obsessed with goals and work so I decided to quit. I sometimes read the tarot, give reiki treatments, and do numerology readings for a little side cash but my main focus is keeping the house under control. ;)

I am a full time student during the year but currently I am a nanny for my 10 month old niece. I also babysit to make extra money on weekends. I honestly think that I have the best job at the moment. Being a nanny for my niece is so much better than anywhere else I would have been working this summer. I also like that I can use naptimes to crochet :)

I work 40 hours a week (or more) and am anxiously awating retirement(May, 2014). Then I will have all the time I want to crochet. The projects are piling up.

I don't crochet nearly as much as I would like to. I work a full time job and my bf just got on the state road he is still waiting for a drug test. We just bought a place beside my dad and we are saving all are money to get a well dug. :( we are working so hard to make everything happen and do everything right why we are still young I get a little over welmed at times and just want to cry but I just think of how lucky me and zach are to be young and have each other and trying to do everything the right way makes me very happy. One day I can sit in my lovely house he is going to build for me and crochet all day and all night until time to go to work the next morning :)

Archived