Do you work?

I go to school full-time, work part-time, and somehow still manage to be a single mom - with a LIFE! lol I don't crochet nearly as much as I used to, but I still enjoy it immensly. And I think I'm that much more proud and appreciative of the projects I complete.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work part-time (up to 15 hrs/week) as our church's secretary, and that's just two days a week. I used to have 60-hour weeks at a day care center, but then we decided that part-time was possible, so here I am.

I have the time to crochet, but I have NO attention span, so I tend to do 15 mimute spurts throughout the day, the most being from Noon to 3pm. Household duties tend to get in the way. :)

I work at a video game company full time, so I get most of my crocheting done on the bus while I commute, and at home in the evenings. Probably why everyone is kicking my 'tocks at the stashbusting CAL. (That's what I tell myself.) :D

I am a very part time worker at a library in town. I work about 40 hours a month. I have 4 kids, one is 21, the others are 15, 9, and 4, and my puppy who is going to be 3! I love my time at home, but i like the few hours to go be an adult for a couple hours! I get to work on the computer alot at work which is my 4th love! My first is my family, my second is my dog, my third are my crafts, and my 4th is my computer! Michelle

Well DH and I share four kids and so we both have to work. I tend to say that I have to go to support my kids and my crochet habit. My job is a rewarding one though I work in a doctor's office as a medical assistant so there is a lot of hands on patient care. I do get a whole hour for lunch which i spend crocheting. and our kids are old enough to be fairly self sufficient, and DH always gets home before me so he is in charge of dinner so when I get home I get three to four uninterrupted crochet hours.

Chrissy

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a SAHM for almost 27 years now! My oldest (I quit working when I was 7 mos.pregnant with him) just got engaged last Saturday! I started crocheting when I was pregnant with him. Bored at work...crocheted at work, with my hands under my desk! Now have a daughter too, and been at home the whole time, no regrets ever. Worked well for us with my hubby's shift work too.

I'm busier at home than I EVER was at work. Time to crochet? Here and there....didn't do much when the kids were little, more time when they became older and less dependent on me. Still don't have enough time with all the cleaning, etc to be done!

Hubby retires in 2 months......so, I've declared that I do too!:clap

More crocheting and less guilt!:D

carol in CA

I generally refer to myself as "an independant woman of insufficient means". I have been single since 1994, and no longer have children at home. I have a full time job that keeps a roof over my head, yarn on my hook, my boat in the water, and feeds my two cats and me.

Im a stay at home mom. I haven't "worked"in years. I have 2 kids before my marriage a kid with him and a step kid. It's not really in the cards for me to work right now as my youngest is in preschool and gets home at 11:00. I love staying at home and being able to watch my kids grow. Idk if my hubby thinks i work or not but chasing 4 kids around and cleaning up after them is no party. Couldnt ask for a better job (more a pleasure than a job.) paying for a baby sitter for 4 kids would cost more than id make lol.

I just love the way you put this!

Yep, I work... all day, all night - cleaning, cooking, laundering, schooling, nursing, mending, banking, budgeting. And the job doesn't pay but has pretty good benefits! ;)

I am a SAHM, and have been for the past two years. I love it. I was a single mom with my first for three years. So I know how it feels both ways. First I was a single mom for three years. Then, I was a working mommy for two years and now I am a SAHM for two years. I really enjoy the benefits of staying home with the baby. I am very lucky to have a husband that is willing and able to support us all. :D

First off, I'm really glad to know I'm not the only 'breadwinner' of the family out there. My DH works about a 30 hour week at a job that pays a significant amount less than my job. On paper, I work 40 hours a week. In reality, I work much more many weeks. I travel almost 60% of the time for work. This means that I'll have a 12-hour travel day Monday and Friday and 3 6-8 hour days Tuesday through Thursday, all away from home. This is when I get the most crocheting done, in hotel rooms, airplanes and airports. I love my job as a trainer. I'm really beginning to hate the travel and I really hate the 'downtime' administrative work I have to do when I'm in the office (I'm a department of 1 :eek ) DH and I don't have kids yet (but we're trying... when I'm home....I really wish we were beyond the trying part....) and when we do, I'm going to insist on less (perferably no) travel. My job will have to change then, or at least be a bit different than it is now. He will probabyl end up cutting his hours back even further or becoming a SAHD (although he feels guilty enough for not 'contributing enough' towards our finances...).

Sorry for how long this became... I'm just a bit depressed about work and life (it's been a rough year so far...) and this ended up turning into a mini-vent... :blush

An actual 'Paying Job'? Nope.

I do sub as the school nurse at my kids school..... But that doesn't happen often.

Once upon a time ago.. Dh & I almost divorced over me working. It felt like the end of the world if I was not 'working' anymore. LOTS of counseling, time and communication later............. and i can't imagine what all the fuss was about that I was raising.

I am happily a SAHM with a nursing degree. I have options............But am realy enjoying this right now.

I work full time, and used to have little time to do anything except work and then keep my house relatively tidy.

Our kids are grown and on their own, so it's just me and DH.

DH retired a year or so ago, (due to medical problems). Since he is now home all day, he's taken over the dishes and laundry duties and I'm loving it. He's even doing a little cooking. I felt guilty at first cause I wasn't doing my normal "wifely" things, but I remind myself that if I were the one retired and home all day, I'd be doing all those things and more. So guilt no more.

So now I crochet and play on the computer off and on all evening, in between doing those other things that make a house a home.

I am a SAHM to 4 who also homeschools. Yes, my hands are full and there is always laundry, cooking and cleaning to be done, but when I can't take it, I sit down to crochet while watching my dd1 as she does homework. :hook

Or if my nephew's mom comes over for a visit, I take my 2 little ones and watch tv/a movie and snuggle with them with my current project, a paperback book, my cellphone and house phone in hand :lol

I love staying at home although it's a financial strain sometimes, but now I am enjoying being able to do activities with other sahm's and of course, crochet!!

I work full time and a full time mom after work. My husband owns his own business so after work and on weekends it is usually me and the kiddos. I love working and having interaction with other adults and something to stimulate my brain. I admire those who do stay home, but it is not for me. I do my crocheting at night in front of the tv and on the weekends when the kids are playing or napping.

Yes, I work 30 hours a week and would like to work less - I'm currently job hunting. DH is a self employed gardener and is looking at ways that he can up his hours - at the moment he collects our son from school, so if we pretty much swapped hours, I'd be able to do it instead ... and have more time to crochet (in between studying for my degree!!)

Elaine x

Yes I am a third grade teacher. This week I am on Feb vac. I am also starting my post-Master's courses, so I will not have as much time. I probably bring home 1-2 hours of work each day. But some days I just come home and crochet, it is my zen. Unfortunetly my DH and I have not been blessed with children, but I have several nephews and a niece I spend time with. I also have 46 8and 9 year olds that I spend ALOT of time with :yes TammyG

I do have a job, although most of the time its not exactly like work! I love what I do, I'm a web designer and its a lot of fun. I do my crochet in the evenings and weekends while watching TV. I also have a friend at work who knits and somtimes we will have a "K&C Lunch" Knit and Crochet Lunch :) I'm teaching her to crochet and she's teaching me to knit - so that's lots of fun!

We have our own business in home design based in our home, but the winter months are always very slow, so I have quite a bit of time to pursue my favorite hobby. :hook I still have other "responsibilities" (i.e. a teenage daughter, dogs, housework, learning things for the business, etc), but I have a lot of free time. Once business picks up, I'll have to contribute to it more, but still, being at home has its advantages. When my job ends, I'm already home, so there's no driving time involved. Just supper to be cooked... and hook and yarn to play with.

I am a SAHM now. I have done it all. Single parent, single parent and working, married and working, married and sahm. I "retired" in 1999 and now I have another child. YAY! I am thankful to be able to be home with him. :)

I crochet at night. And nap time. I love to crochet and wish I had more time to crochet. :hook

I'm a nurse in a long term/rehab nursing center. i work 3 12 hour shifts a week and crochet to wind down in the evenings. Many of my patients are or have been crocheters and I always enjoy hearing about their crafting days/:yes

Archived