What is the best yarn (brand) to use for felting.....m

Jakswalk

I'm learning more and more about the different brands of yarn and what the different types of yarn can do. I never knew this before.

What brand do you all use to get the best results from felting?:think

I've used Cascade 220 and LionBrand wools, and both felted very nicely.......the Cascade took a couple more washes before I got the result I wanted, but the final outcome was the same for both.

I paid around $5 or $6 for the LionBrand, and $7 for the Cascade.......

I've used all teh ones already lised as well as Knit Picks Woold of the Andes (beautiful colors)

All felt really well. I think the Knit Picks and Cascade shrinks a bit more than the Lion or Patons. I think the Lions and Patons hold their color better. That is one think I have noticed with the Knit Picks is that it really releases alot of dye in the process. But the final product always looks great and the color is vibrant, you just have to be careful when using light colors with very dark colors. I had a white trun pink on me when it was worked wiht red.

I use mostly Paton's Classic Merino. I have also used Brown Sheep's Lambs Pride. That one has mohair in it and it gives you items a nice "halo" effect. I have also used a yarn made by Brunswick called Germantown. It has been discontinued, but I find it occasionaly on ebay. It felts down to a really nice thick fabric. Also, Paton's SWS is a nice felting yarn....just watch out with this one...it felts incredibly fast.... Galaway is another nice felting yarn. The list goes on and on. I also try not to mix yarn brands when felting. Each yarn felts differently. I suggest a swatch. Measure before and after felting.

The list goes on and on. I also try not to mix yarn brands when felting. Each yarn felts differently. I suggest a swatch. Measure before and after felting.

This is soooooo true. I have mixed brands before and they felt so differently it gave me problems in the final product. I now try to use the all the same brand in a single project.

I've used Cascade 220, KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, but my new favorite is the Paton's Classic Merino Wool. It felts well and it's easy to get at Michael's or ACMoore. With a 40% off coupon it's only about $3/skein, and I can get a medium size bag from one skein.

Joan

well lets see...in this bag I am working on right now I have....

lion brand fishermans, patons classic merino, bartlett yarns fisherman, Peace Fleece, 100 pure wool....

ugg I dont remember all the brands.

But I have had good luck with most wools, but I normally perfer Patons classic merino, because I like to over felt (just my prefernce) and Patons does it quite fast and produces a nice stitch free fabric

I prefer Plymouth's Galway yarn. It comes in lots of colors, is reasonable priced, works up great and felts really good.

Oh I looked that up, never have seen that before, where do you buy it? Anywhere online?????

Hi - New to Crochetville and glad to have something to offer....

On my blog (bad, seldom updated, mainly about knitting) I have posted a PDF I created. I reviewed a long LONG thread on Knittyboard that was full of different folks' comments about the felting properties of various yarns. Fuzzy, fast or slow felting....like that.

It might help you decide which yarn to use for which projects. Best wishes from one felting fool to a few more. Gimme a minute to add my blog addy to my signature.

Jacqueline

Me too--thanks Silverdragon! Very helpful synopsis.

I love felting with Patons Merino and KP Wool of the Andes. They're not too fuzzy; I use a sweater shaver for the bit of fuzz that does show up initially, and it stays smooth afterwards. Personally, I didn't like Lion Wool when I tried it; took twice as long as Patons to felt. I've been intrigued by Elann.com's Peruvian Highland Wool--it felts reallywell and has great color range, and is pretty cheap to boot.

Patons Soy Wool Stripes also felts beautifully, from what I've seen, with noro-esque colorways for a bit less money. But it's said to shrink a LOT.

Archived