Teaching At Michael's!

:yay I just got the phone call that I will be the new crochet instructor at my local Michael's! :yay I'm so excited! :yay I have been wanting to do this for a couple of years, but they just never had an opening until now! :yay

Now I have to decide what I'm going to teach them to make for the first class. It is suppose to be something simple, like a scarf or a potholder.

:jumpyay Congratulations! That sounds like a great opportunity. My sister in Florida just signed up to take beginning crochet at her local Michaels and she is fired up and ready to get started. It will be fun for you to introduce your new group to the joys/potential obsession that is crochet!

Thanks everyone!

I'm so nervous. I taught before, but it was for free, so there really was no pressure if I failed, but now people are paying me, and expecting me to deliver. :eek

Yay! Welcome to the family :)

what did you have them do for their first class project?

my first class is suppose to be for basic beginners and I want to do something that they can hopefully finish or be close to finishing, is that expecting too much?

There was a thread about this recently... try searching for it. I think the consensus was that a scarf would be a good first project because it was pretty versatile. I think if I were taking a crochet class for the first time, I'd be more proud if I made a scarf rather than a potholder.

The store would probably like it because the students need to buy more yarn for a scarf! :)

Joan

I finally gave up on projects lol I just instruct them on the class sheet to bring a beginner project of their choice. That way they choose what THEY like to make and are more likely to finish it or come back for more classes to finish up their projects :)

Don't be nervous though.. it's alot of fun. I love the classes :)

Congrats! I've helped a few people but haven't taught a class and not sure what I'd do if I did...

If you're doing a scarf, don't do any fancy yarn. I was talking with an old friend who said she learned to crochet recently and one scarf turned out fine but the second was was all crocked and she couldn't get it straight, no matter how many times she took it out (and had trouble with the yarn). The first she didn't really like, but she's a teacher (3rd grade) and has a gift box and a student liked the scraf and choose it. She had trouble with the fancy yarn. She hasn't tried again since, but I think it's more of a personal preference for her.

I wonder if you'll have an ongoing class they can continue to come to. The micheals by me has one and anyone can come who needs help, no matter they're experience. Some come to learn, some to keep learning. If that is the case, maybe let them choose, but help them. If they choose something too hard, no matter how much they want to make it, they won't finish and get discouraged (maybe, maybe not). If they're not sure, suggest a scarf.

Good luck.

I know what you mean about using a fancy yarn. I'm not sure it's for a beginner's first project. My DD wanted some skinny scarves to wear to work with her suits. I have made several scarves before using fun fur, but for some reason these were giving me some trouble. I have been crocheting for over thirty years, this should have been simple for me, right? WRONG! I had to crochet the braille method, you know, feeling for the stitches because I just couldn't see the stitches, and I was using light colors! We were on a road trip when I was making these and three of them I actually made in the dark on the way home! DD couldn't tell which ones I had made on the trip out and which ones I had made on the trip back!

Great news - I wish I lived near you - I would come!!! :cheer

ohmygosh, I have seen your photo album, I honestly don't think I could teach you anything new. But thank you for the offer! I'm nervous and trying to get rid of butterflies!

Congratulations! I know you will do great. I remember before I taught my first class I was nervous and kept reviewing in my head how to chain! Something I'd been doing for . . . well, um, let's just say a long time! ha! :lol But once you get there and start you'll be in your element and it will all come naturally. After all, crochet is something you LOVE and sharing it is the most natural thing in the world.

I know I differ from most of the ladies who've taught, but I still maintain that finishing that first project is very important and there is a lot of crocheting in a scarf. I always preferred to choose dishcloths, potholders or Warm-up America squares, then move on to scarves or something more time consuming. Scarves are definitely a great beginner project, but I always felt the student's feeling of accomplishment that comes with their first "fastening off" made a smaller project more appropriate. Depending on the time frame of your class, trying to teach the rudiments of the craft AND having them COMPLETE a project is sometimes quite ambitious. Not everyone catches on right away (I sure didn't :D).

No matter, though, you can do this and if they catch your enthusiasm you will have changed their life! I can't imagine my life without crochet and I owe all that to the person who took the time to share with me.

Good luck :hug and let us know what you decide.

• 2 months later...

Archived