RoseRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 strand Lumberjack Flannel Afghan

[ATTACH]32577[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]32578[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]32579[/ATTACH]

Size - 4 1/2 ft x 6 ft

Materials - 2 colors WW yarn - 5-7 pounds, 10 mm/N hook

Gauge - Each strip is 7 blocks of color long.

10" across = 17dc

10" up&down = 13 rows

NOTES: Afghan is made holding 2 strands of yarn together

Afghan is made of 5 strips whipstitched together with a border crocheted around it.

- You can make the afghan larger/smaller by adjusting the size of the squares.

Directions -

Strip 1 - make 3

ch 19, dc in 4th ch from hook,

Rows 1 - 13 - 2 strands blue dc across - (17dc)

Rows 14 - 26 - 1 strand blue, 1 strand orange - dc across

continue alternating colors until strip measures 7 colors blocks long. tie off.

Strip 2 - make 2

Block 1 - varigated

Block 2 - orange

continue alternating colors until strip measures 7 colors blocks long. tie off.

Joining - Whipstitch strips together.

- It may be simpler to sc a round around the strip prior to sewing strips.

- If you tie the corners of the blocks together before you begin stitching it will help keep the rows in line)

-Refer to pic for color placement.

Border -

Round1 - in blue - hdc in each st on top and bottom.

2hdc in each st along the sides. (The dc is a tall stitch so it takes 2 stitches in each for the border)

Corner shell - hdc,ch1, hdc in each corner

R 2 - in white - *V-st (dc,ch1,dc), skip next 2 stiches* repeat around entire afghan.

Corners - Vst, ch1, Vst

R 3-4 - in blue - dc in each st around

Corners - dc,ch1,dc

R 5 - reverse sc (crabstitch) around

or sc around depending on skill level

Copyright 2007

All rights Reserved. For personal and private use only.

Items are never to be sold on the internet.

Alternate Joining Method

For those of you who just cannot stand the thought of whipstitching this together busy-bee-lmt posted a picture TUT on how to attach the strips as you go. It's image intensive and clearly detailed. You'll need to decide before you begin your 2nd strip if you want to use this joining method. Post 1835 http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2015994&postcount=1835

(Big huge thank you to joules for finding this post!)

Flannelghan Hall of Fame

RoseRed ~ Post #1 ~ blue/orange

RoseRed ~ Post 111 ~

red/black

smileyface ~ Post 136 ~ black/blue

Croshay ~ Post 172 ~ multicolored

smileyface ~ Post 221 ~ red/black

Addey ~ Post 252 ~ mint green/navy

amalin06 ~ Post 266 ~ red/black

Mrs CrochetPants ~ Post 276 ~ sherbet

RoseRed ~ Post 286 ~ Jimbo's red/navy

jolleyrancher418 ~ Post 293 ~ teal/cream

YarnBox ~ Post 300 ~ black/white

strebekah ~ Post 330 ~ blue/orange

jelepe75 ~ Post 347 ~ Scooby Inspired

jelepe75 ~ Post 347 ~

black/blue

JCB ~ Post 381 ~

black/cream

LeslieG ~post 416 ~ Harley orange/black

Morrigan1974 ~post 680 ~ amethyst/soft white

rlanto ~ Post 758 ~ lilac/natural

CrochetDad ~Post 785 ~ light sage/lavender

SueS ~ off cal ~

Rococo/French Provincial (beige tones)

darski ~ post 850 - navy/lt blue & pink/white

Addey ~ Post 908 ~

OU colors burgundy/cream

klutzandme ~Post924 ~ Chicago Bears colors

Minerva 76 ~ Post 955 ~ dark plum/white

awmn ~ Post 1039 ~ red/black

darski ~ Post 1050 ~ plum/white (Dora sized)

uboo64 ~ Post 1054 ~ Burgundy/Hunter Green for Christmas

Patty K ~ Post 1126 ~ beige/cream

JulieY ~ Post 1170 ~ lt blue/black

esiepiela ~ offsite ~ lt blue/white

Mrs Crochet Pants ~ Post 1189 ~ lt sage/claret

scullybubble ~ Post 1193 ~ navy/white

Addey (again) ~ Post 1203 ~ lemon/mint

esiepiela ~ offsite ~ rose/azure blue

Clearwaters - Post 1261 ~ beige on beige

sculleybubbles ~ Post1278 ~ Steelers yellow/black

Midds ~ Post 1286~ bright pink & orange

-Mimi_ ~ Post 1295 ~ orange/off white

tris4crochet ~ 1308 ~ espresso/cream

john's ghan post? blue/vari

lisamartinez post? black/white

amyquilt ~post 1318 blue/orange

angelfire ~Post 1320 ~ vari/rust

astitchintime ~ Post 1773 ~ warm brown/moss heather

People have continued to post pics in the thread after post 1773. I have chosen to not continue linking to these posts - it's getting to be a long list. Please feel free to continue browsing thru this thread to see more pictures.

Can I ask a question please? It says 5-7 pounds of yarn, how much of each color do you need? Do you need more of one color than the other or about the same of each?

Can I ask a question please? It says 5-7 pounds of yarn, how much of each color do you need? Do you need more of one color than the other or about the same of each?

You're going to need slightly more of the color that's on the outside corners.

One of the reasons that the amount of yarn is so vague is that it's uniquely personal to the gauge and tension of the person making it. From the standard pattern people have used anywhere from 5 - 7 pounds.

When I make a flannelghan I'll get 3 pounds of each color. That's not going to help someone that crochets looser than I do and needs the full 7 pounds.

Out of this entire thread - I don't think anyone's actually written down exactly what they've used.

I made one for my son last Fall---in his school's colors (San Jose State). Thanks for the pattern!

(¯`v´¯)

`*.¸.*´

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• Love it!!!! •¨¯`•

:heart

:mug

• 4 weeks later...

Okay mine is almost done, and I have a working camera, so I'm going to get shots of it, it's not done, due to the boy deploying I didn't get work on it much, I was spending time with him. Now he's gone and, well crochet, it's my friend, a week in and I didn't even notice that much time had passed because I've been working on this blanket. So later I'll post pictures, :clap. Once I figure out how...to post...pictures. Grr. Lol

:hook happy hooking!

I just wanted to get some opinions. Is Caron One Pound soft enough for a flannelghan? And also, how many pound skeins would it take to do up this project?

Love the Flannelghans! I really want to make a red & black one. It is (and has been for a while) on my list of projects I want to do! Never enough time!

But I have saved your pattern and thank you very much for sharing! You need to think about putting out a book!

there yah go ladies!! just need to stitch my border and sew in my tails and all done!

the colors are hobby lobby i love this yarn hyacinth and black!

Whoa...................thats fantastic!!!!

Love it!!!

:heart

:mug

I'm experimenting with the pattern. I just got to the 2nd block (red n black) and I'm wondering something. Can I just cut one of the reds and attach the black and continue with one of the reds from before? Or is it better to attach 2 new strands completely to make it look more like a defined/divided block?

I love your colors!!! I hadn't even thought of doing this in my favorite color -- purple! Now I think that will be my choice too! The Hyacinth is a light enough shade of purple it really stand out on the black well!

I always carry the one color. It makes no difference at all in how it looks. It just gives you an extra 2 ends to weave in at the end.

Thank you for that. I went ahead and just continued with one of the red strands. I think it'll be okay. Looks like I'll be doing one after all. I just hope I have the right hook lol. I know I had a plastic N and P and I used the smaller white one, but they aren't marked. So far so good!

I can't wait to see more flannelghans.

I love your colors!!! I hadn't even thought of doing this in my favorite color -- purple! Now I think that will be my choice too! The Hyacinth is a light enough shade of purple it really stand out on the black well!

Oh I love purple. Lol. I wanted it done before winter so I have that extra warmth!! Turned out wonderful! I love it

• 2 weeks later...
:think okay, my strips are about 7 feet long, I used a L hook, followed the pattern...what did I do wrong? did I crochet too loose?

I have no idea. Did you make 5 or 7 blocks and are the blocks 10 or 12 inch squares?

I followed the pattern....7 blocks of 12 rows per strip :think right?? I think I'll do only8 or 10 rows per block next time, oh yes there will be a next time.... the photo looks funny, I need to add a few more strips.

IMG_1093.jpg

I see the reason. You're squares are rectangles instead of squares. It's a basic pattern but it really needs to be worked to your own gauge. I would finish it the way it is - I think it looks really good.

For the next one only do as many rows as you need to to make each color block square.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I don't want to sound rude.... But on the alternative joining method where you slip stitch as you work on the second panel, does it have a nice defined line where the two meet? I can't tell in the pics. I'm really intrigued by this method! Thanks so much for posting the link.

Archived