Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since I like playing around with the Paint program....even though my Paint skills leave much to be desired :lol:lol, I've been messing around with different designs using the flannelghan pattern as the starting point but making designs with the squares. These would be done with 5" or 6" squares and would be either 9 squares by 9 squares, or 11 squares by 11 squares. :crocheting

Note: Paint does not have a lot of color choices, so you still need to use your imagination to adjust the colors to actually fit together. :D These patterns would still use the basic pattern of 2 strands of 1 color for 1 square, then dropping 1 strand and picking up another strand of the next color for the next square (to get the varigated look), rinse, repeat, done! :hook

i love these, reminds me of patchwork quilts

when i came across this pattern ages ago i got out some crayons and some square paper. i spent days colouring in and came up with a whole set of ideas.

i reckon i should finish it and write it up on my blog someday (if you dont mind rosered?). this pattern has so many possibilities :)

Nope - don't mind if you post different color variations at all. I do hope you would send them here for the basic pattern tho.

Definitely! I figure out how to do the clean looking links on my blog so I'll definitely make sure I link to your pattern as the inspiration and basic pattern. :D

Way cool! I hope you include the blog post. I can't wait to check out the different color schemes (or are they the same ones you already posted here?)

Sweetie - you can write your own pattern for these. To do such small blocks you'll need a totally different stitch and row count and gauge. I've considered writing a smaller version but I just really don't want to make another one and sew all those strips together.

Shell,

I really like the creativity you've shown with these new blocks. I'd love to see one of them put into a project.

Since I like playing around with the Paint program....even though my Paint skills leave much to be desired :lol:lol, I've been messing around with different designs using the flannelghan pattern as the starting point but making designs with the squares. These would be done with 5" or 6" squares and would be either 9 squares by 9 squares, or 11 squares by 11 squares. :crocheting

Note: Paint does not have a lot of color choices, so you still need to use your imagination to adjust the colors to actually fit together. :D These patterns would still use the basic pattern of 2 strands of 1 color for 1 square, then dropping 1 strand and picking up another strand of the next color for the next square (to get the varigated look), rinse, repeat, done! :hook

Shell,

I really like the creativity you've shown with these new blocks. I'd love to see one of them put into a project.

I'm planning to do one of the blue block ones once I'm done with the 2 I have started already. My stepdad's is almost finished (one last strip to do) then I have to finish the first flannelghan that I started and had set aside. Think that one's on the 4th strip now. Ran out of yarn on that one though which is why it was set aside.

I have a lot of blue yarn so I can get a decent start on one of those. Need to plan out which colors I want to use for the others. Have too many projects in my head and not enough time! And I just found RoseRed's diamondghan... which I LOVE and have now added that one to the list! haha

Felt a bit better today so I did some crocheting. Worked on stepdad's flannelghan. And of course...ran out of black yarn with 9 rows to go on the very last square! Of course I knew I was going to need to get more anyway for the border but still, I had hoped to finish the strips before having to buy more haha

Finished the last strip and whipstitched everything together. Still need to do the border and weave in all the tails. But it's 3am and I'm ready to :sleep . Hopefully the dreams will put me on :c9 as I dream of :crocheting

Oh and I guess my father in law now wants a blanket too, after seeing the strips for this one lol. Plus my mom already put in an order for the design Big Flower (has the pink/red in middle with greens all around)

post-44633-135897622132_thumb.jpg

Shell,

Very nice!!! I really like your spin on the flannel'ghan!

I haven't had a moment to work on mine! I've been working crazy hours- and am now going on the 7th day straight of work. It's so close to being done,.....yet so far------I have one more strip to do!! But at least the first 4 strips are all whipstitched together and ends woven in!!

Looking forward to seeing the "Big Flower" when you start it!

My name is Sue and I'm addicted to flannelghans! :lol I'm working on my 3rd one in 5 weeks! So I figured I'd join this CAL for support! :lol

This is my first one for my dh's birthday present:

post-28075-135897622171_thumb.jpg

This is my second one (lapghan size) for a swap. Excuse the picture dh had my good camera and the old one gave it a yellow hue:

post-28075-135897622178_thumb.jpg

The one I'm making now is for me. I'm using RH Fiesta in buff and harvest. 1 row is done and working on the 2nd. :)

:turtle:vheart

Turtlelover - welcome! They're beautiful! can't wait to see the newest one.

Shell - I'm right there with you. Thank God for anti-biotics. On top of being sick with what they're calling the 'flu' (but giving ab's for and they're working) I was fighting a killer almost migraine yesterday. I feel your pain and am sharing in it.

imanurse - hope you get a day off before you burnout.

Turtlelover - welcome! They're beautiful! can't wait to see the newest one.

Shell - I'm right there with you. Thank God for anti-biotics. On top of being sick with what they're calling the 'flu' (but giving ab's for and they're working) I was fighting a killer almost migraine yesterday. I feel your pain and am sharing in it.

imanurse - hope you get a day off before you burnout.

The migraine hit me right about at the peak of the worst of the influenza. From everything you've said, your family has the same or almost the same strain. After the migraine hit is when I felt the worst and went to the dr. Couple days of feeling completely horrid (but oddly, only when the fever flared up) then I started feeling better slowly.

If you stay hydrated and take something to help keep the fevers down/away, it should pass somewhat easier. If the fever does flare up, just take something to help bring it down and stay curled up somewhere warm.

I hope you can kick this quickly. Take care of yourself and get lots of rest so you can come back kicking some crocheting butt!

My name is Sue and I'm addicted to flannelghans! :lol I'm working on my 3rd one in 5 weeks! So I figured I'd join this CAL for support! :lol

This is my first one for my dh's birthday present:

[ATTACH]34120[/ATTACH]

This is my second one (lapghan size) for a swap. Excuse the picture dh had my good camera and the old one gave it a yellow hue:

[ATTACH]34121[/ATTACH]

The one I'm making now is for me. I'm using RH Fiesta in buff and harvest. 1 row is done and working on the 2nd. :)

Sue- Welcome!! They are all great!!! I'm addicted to them too- Made one for DH last year, one for DD's BF for Christmas this year, and now making one for me. I just need to have some TIME to finish it!!!! Can't wait to see the pic of the one you are making for YOU!!!!

Feel better quick RoseRed and Shell!!!

RoseRed, I won't have a day off till Saturday!!! Trying hard not to burn out! And now we're supposed to get yet ANOTHER winter storm Tuesday/into Wednesday!!! C'mon Spring!!!!

Shell - we were lucky that we started the anti-biotics before the fever kicked in. It just happened to land on a Friday and I didn't want to wait and see if DD was going to get wrose over the weekend.

Joanne - I hope you take an hour or so and make some special quiet time just for yourself. With a schedule like that you need to schedule in pampering or it just doesn't happen.

Sleep was practically non-existent last night no I doubt I'll get my mojo back today.

Welcome to Flannelghan Heaven, Sue!

Thanks Shell! I haven't been able to work on mine in a couple days. Stupid algebra. Who's bright idea was it for me to go back to school anyhow??? :lol

Thanks Shell! I haven't been able to work on mine in a couple days. Stupid algebra. Who's bright idea was it for me to go back to school anyhow??? :lol

I believe that was YOUR idea- and a great one at that!!! I've never for one minute regretted going back (although sometimes I wondered about my sanity) I graduated in 2008 at the young age of 53!!!

I haven't been able to work on mine due to this thing called work!!

Rose- I have been taking some time every night for "ME"- I've been doing simple dishcloths- very relaxing-. This weekend, the plan is to finish the flannel'ghan!!!:clap

Stepdad's flannelghan is finished! well...other than weaving in a few more tails. but its stitched together and bordered! I'll have to see if I can get a real good picture of it with the digital rather than using my cell phone, then I'll post the finished picture.

Started on the one for Mom. she's getting the big flower design. She saw the drawing of it and kept "hinting" that she really really really likes it.

Also drew up a design for my dad in law. His is going to be our last initial in Orange and Orange/white squares with black background. Still using the basic flannelghan idea though for crocheting it and putting it together. The Orange, White, and Black are Harley colors and he's a bigtime biker.

Someday I'll get to finish MINE...:crocheting

Archived