Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

I saw the picture in the first post and skimmed over the directions to see how it was done then decided to somewhat wing it on making something similar but not exactly the same. :) Using 4 colors overall (2 pinks, 2 greens) and a hdc stitch. Caron simply soft yarn because i really need to use up my stash of SS before it overtakes the basement.

First block is done, second one in the works. Decided to come back here and look at everyone's pictures before heading to bed. wish more pictures were in the posts and not links to another site. :(

Definitely works up fast, but a little odd working with 2 strands at a time.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't help that - I just linked to the pic whever it may have been. There are more pics posted in the thread - it just got overwhelming and I chose to stop linking to them. I just added that to the first post.

I can't wait to see it in 4 colors. Make sure to post pics!

I'll definitely post pics. Working on the strip that's using victorian rose and sage green. those colors are so pretty together.

rose violet and dark sage.

almost have the first strip done. had a lot to do today with work and after work, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on it.

ok this is what I have so far. This only has 3 of the 4 colors worked in so far. 4th color will be worked in by strip #3.

post-44633-135897613719_thumb.jpg

post-44633-135897613721_thumb.jpg

ok this is what I have so far. This only has 3 of the 4 colors worked in so far. 4th color will be worked in by strip #3.

Had to jump in and say I love the colors that you are using!! Have fun with it!

A little more finished tonight! Busy night so I didn't get much done. Ran out of the rose violet with 2 rows to go. :( So that strip isn't finished yet. Started strip #3 which will be dark sage green and sage green. :clap

Oh and the little white feet showing in the picture are my furbaby Penny's little white feet. :) she loves to check out anything I crochet. Usually testing it for softness! I know when it's a winner when she curls up on top!

post-44633-135897613922_thumb.jpg

Have to say, this is probably one of my more favorite patterns right now. Already planning another one once the summer garden one is finished! Looking at making one for my stepdad for his birthday. Gray and Black with a little bit of Red mixed in. Thinking the red will be in the 4 corner varigated squares and in the center varigated square. Plus a thin line of red or red/black in the border.

Need to draw up my squares graph so I can plan it better. :)

when whipstitching it together, do you think it is better to use the darker yarn to put it together, or the lighter yarn? my colors are hunter green and cream. does the yarn show on the back side of the afghan in whipstitching?

I have this image in my head of a flannelghan done in 3 colors. My BF did it but she used cream and beige highlighted with hunter green. Working a border around the strips comes out clunky with the 2 strands.

Here's my image - a row of sc between the blocks and attaching with a slst or sc to have the thin strip of 3rd color going vertically and horizontally across the pattern. Someday I'll make another one. I got really burnt out on the pattern after making a bunch and just really don't want to make another one.

yankeeblue - when you whipstitch thru both loops the stitching is between the panels not behind them. I've found that it really doesn't make a difference what color you use to join - it all blends in anyway.

What some people have done (and I had to on the first one) was to use a stitch marker and attach the corners of the squares before whipstitching to hold them in place to make sure they lined up just right.

The only other tip I have for you is to use a smooth tension. If the squares start to bunch up then it's a little to tight.

Are you ready to start putting it together?

I have this image in my head of a flannelghan done in 3 colors. My BF did it but she used cream and beige highlighted with hunter green. Working a border around the strips comes out clunky with the 2 strands.

Here's my image - a row of sc between the blocks and attaching with a slst or sc to have the thin strip of 3rd color going vertically and horizontally across the pattern. Someday I'll make another one. I got really burnt out on the pattern after making a bunch and just really don't want to make another one.

yankeeblue - when you whipstitch thru both loops the stitching is between the panels not behind them. I've found that it really doesn't make a difference what color you use to join - it all blends in anyway.

What some people have done (and I had to on the first one) was to use a stitch marker and attach the corners of the squares before whipstitching to hold them in place to make sure they lined up just right.

The only other tip I have for you is to use a smooth tension. If the squares start to bunch up then it's a little to tight.

Are you ready to start putting it together?

I'm on the last panel..so sometime today I should be done and able to start the whipstitching together.

I was going to try something like that for the flannelghan that I'm starting for my stepdad's gift, working a thin line of red between each block. But instead I decided to do the four corner squares and the center square in a strand of red and strand of black. the rest is done in gray and black. I know this one, and my summer garden one, are not exactly "flannel" style at the end, but I love the way your pattern works up. A lot less to attach together at the end, and very warm!

Since I ran out of yarn working on the summer garden ghan, and because I'm trying to do some stashbusting, I decided to start on my stepdad's flannelghan. And of course...I ran out of black yarn so I'm stuck with having only 1 strip 90% finished! (I knew I wasn't going to get far because of only having a small amount of black). Time to go shopping tomorrow...errr...today, for more black yarn!

post-44633-135897614522_thumb.jpg

I started another one last evening. Using some Vanna's stash yarn- using three colors- dusty blue, linen, and silver blue. Almost finished one strip- and I'm using an N hook and HDC.

I did one block all silver blue and then a block of the dusty blue and linen together. Alternating up. I'm thinking for the second strip of using a the dusty blue and silver blue together and solid blocks of the linen. The third strip would be like the first, the 4th like the 2nd and the 5th like the first. Then border it all in the dusty blue which is the darkest color. I'll have to see how this all plays out. (and how the stash yarn holds out)

I just can't wait to see all these color combos! I just love inspiration and creation!

It so totally sux when you run out of yarn when you're on a roll.

Yes, yes it does totally suck when you run out of yarn! :eek Must get more yarn! :yarn Too many projects waiting to be finished.

And thank you RoseRed for the pattern that is inspiring us all to be creative! :hug

Archived