Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't regret using the N hook- My DH loves his- and says it is soooo warm. I'll be starting a few more in the fall for Christmas gifts- They work up fairly quick- and make such a classic warm afghan!!! I'm going to do one in Navy and White for DD's BF who is a Huge Yankee fan and then a Red and white one for my oldest DD- she is a Red Sox fan!

I'm using Caron Soft Navy and White. Should be real nice.

I finally got the first square done. Only took all day to figure it out, LOL!

Yes I like the N much better. Thank You Rose!!! ;)

I'm going to work the second block (blue & white) then get a pic and post. If I don't get it on here tonight then I'll do it first thing in the morning.

Instead of starting this project (or any project of this type) with a number of chain stitches (and using a larger hook), I use the Foundation Double Crochet Stitch (fdc) with the same size hook as the rest of the piece. Using this method, the first row is stretchy, just like the rest of the afghan unlike using the chain stitch for the foundation row.

You can do an Internet search and find many tutorials for this very useful stitch. Here's one at CrochetMe.com:

You won't regret using this method. It also works with hdc and sc foundation rows.

Thank You Gene!

I looked at that earlier when I was browsing this thread but didn't seem to figure it out. I'll give it another go because I think this would be better in the long run.

Luckily my chain this time was loose enough. Usually it's not and that's why I use 2 sizes bigger when I do the chain.

I'm very happy that you decided not to use the J hook. You won't regret it.

Gene - did you ever make one of these as a solid piece? I think I remember you mentioning it. I tried but gave up - too many threads getting tangled on me.

Merri - you're going to love it.

IMG_2445.jpg

Here's the pic as mentioned. Again I changed to the N hook and I'm doing 19 stitches by 11 rows; it's just shy of 10" squares.:D

After frogging 4-5 times this is what I went with so I could just get on with it!:eek

Gene - did you ever make one of these as a solid piece? I think I remember you mentioning it. I tried but gave up - too many threads getting tangled on me.

No - I've been interrupted many times by other projects. I MUST get back to this. I REALLY hate sewing the pieces together...

No - I've been interrupted many times by other projects. I MUST get back to this. I REALLY hate sewing the pieces together...

You and me both. I think it's safe to say that I'll never make a saltine ghan.

Rose at the end when I'm ready to whipstitch this ghan together how do I gauge how much yarn to use

and how do you tie off the ends???

I've got 3 blocks done now and seem to be able to complete one in a half hour. This is going real quick. However I've got to stop and weave in the tails. Having those hanging out drive me nuts. You're right! This is a very forgiving pattern.

I run my yarn up the sides so I get less ends.

I wouldn't try to stitch the long edges with 1 very long piece of yarn. I would use 4 foot pieces, tie a knot and weave it in with the rest of it. I do use flexible fabric glue on the ends. They have a tendency to work their way out.

Thanks Gene!

Rose I was thinking that too! It really would be easy to do. I'm stopping right now at 7 squares long, build it across and see how it goes. Apparently I'm not good at figuring my gauge because I think they're coming out 10" squares, LOL!

Ok I'm getting ready to start one of these. I using Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Buff and Aran. It will be a light color one.

I have two questions for all of you that have done these.1) do you make strip or blocks and then sew the blocks together? 2) I using a K hook because I crochet very loose so it that about the right size hook to use?

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Merri,

Looking good! I agree with Rose - great colors. I've use the sedge stitch for the border: after sc around, with 3 sc in corners, (sc, 2dc in same st, sk 2 st) around. It makes a shallow scallop. I've modified this also as (sc, dc in same st, sk 1 st) around. The second version shortens the scallop. The first (to me) is a more feminine look than the second.

Here's the update of my Flannelghan! Need to start sewing it together and figure out a border. :clap

IMG_2515.jpg

Looks GREAT!!!

I need to get my backside busy... I have 3 flannel'ghans I want to make for Christnas!

:heart

:mug

Thank you everyone! Much appreciated!!!

Does it matter what color I use to sew together? Should I use one over the other?

Any secrets with sewing the sides together? I've never done it before and the sides don't have a designated stitch to follow. I'm nervous! LOL!

Archived