Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good Evening friends!

Wanted to share my finished flannelghan, thank you so much for sharing the pattern! it sure works up fast, can't wait to start another one!

:hug and warmest of wishes!

THATis nice! Well done.

• 1 month later...

I just started one of these last night. It's pink and white and it's for my 5-year-old granddaughter. I made the first strip already - it goes so fast - with 5 blocks. I am trying to decide if I need 3 strips or 4. Anyone have any idea how large a child's afghan should be?

I just started one of these last night. It's pink and white and it's for my 5-year-old granddaughter. I made the first strip already - it goes so fast - with 5 blocks. I am trying to decide if I need 3 strips or 4. Anyone have any idea how large a child's afghan should be?

It's really up to you, but I think it looks best if you use an odd number of strips: 3, 5, 7, etc. Just my humble opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I have admired flannelghans for a long time, so I finally decided to do one in pink and white for my 5-year-old granddaughter. I used the pattern in the first post and made 4 strips with 5 10" squares in each. It went very fast, but I didn't like the large stitches. I'm afraid she would snag the yarn if she played on it. So I am ripping out what I did, and I have started a new one, using hdc's instead of dc's, an M hook instead of an N, and making 8" squares so that I can have an odd number of strips. I like how it is turning out, even though it goes more slowly. Here are pictures what's left of the first attempt, and the first strip of the second. Question: has anyone else tried modifications like these? How did it turn out?

post-20651-135897547573_thumb.jpg

post-20651-135897547567_thumb.jpg

I never made one with the DC so I can't compare. I do like the texture of the HDc and would do that again. As a matter of fact, my son-in-law loves the one I gave my DH so I'm going to make one for him for Christmas.

I did both of mine in the HDC. I want to do another one so badly so am getting some WIP done so I can begin another one. Ripples and Flannelghans are my favorites. I love the pink and white one. I have two 4 yr. old GD's. and of course pink is their favorite color.

Joanne, yours is awesome!

I totally love how this thread continues to stay alive!

The flannel'ghans that continue to get created are just awesome!

I still have a handful I want to make!

:heart

:mug

Hello there!

Just finished another flannel 'ghan for my dearest and sweetest son. Wanted to share a pic and to say Thank you! Thank you for sharing the pattern and for taking a looksie!

hugs and squishes!

post-33271-135897549431_thumb.jpg

LeeAnn

Your flannel'ghan came out awesome!! Congrats on finishing it!!!

Makes me want to start another one!

And thanks for the compliments on mine Lisa, KathyWho and Rose Red!

Hello there!

Just finished another flannel 'ghan for my dearest and sweetest son. Wanted to share a pic and to say Thank you! Thank you for sharing the pattern and for taking a looksie!

hugs and squishes!

Hi LeeAnn...i love the way yours turned out...can you tell me what yarn and colors you used and the hook size...Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I'm getting ready to jump in on this one. Decided to postpone the graphghan and use the yarn instead for a flannelghan.

This is for my son who is in the Air Force stationed in Minot N.D. where it gets COLD! He wants any afghan with NO holes, LOL!

So I'm struggling with the size hook I should use. Just bought an N but not sure if thats too big and will leave holes with the dc st.

Tried a swatch of hdc but think that stitch looks sloppy.

So....I'm leaning towards J (6.0mm) and a dc st.

OPINIONS PLEASE!!!

Everyone thinks that a dc with an N hook has such big holes. The only thing the holes do is create insulation.

Jimbo uses his in Washington State when the heat is out and he stays warm.

Rosered, I did a swatch of dc with a J hook and liked how it turned out.

I measure 21 stitches by 12 rows to get a 9" square. I've been told I crochet tight. I'm starting my chain with the N hook to help keep it loose.

The one thing I've noticed is that the two strands of yarn want to twist. Is it important to keep them straight or does this stitch tend to be sloppy?

Doing it with a J hook is a mistake - plain and simple. The hook is just too small for 2 strands of 4plyWW. If you're doing it with limp or 3ply yarn then a J would be ok.

A friend of mine did it with a K hook and regretted every stitch.

I never worried about it twisting. It comes out great either way. It's a very forgiving pattern.

If you're going to do a chain in a larger hook you should only go up a size or 2 at the most.

You would be better off doing more rows in hdc than using a J.

People keep talking about holes - it's not lacy - it's a solid ghan.

Archived