Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

Jenni, it sounds like you're a knitting "natural". It's definitely in your DNA.

And you sound like me: I didn't know crocheting doilies or baby layette sets weren;t beginner projects when I taught myself to crochet...:lol:lol

I didn't do too badly....;)

LOL funny thing is if my grandma had been around I would have started out a lot different like I did with crochet. If I hadn't had her teach me I probably would have picked one of the most difficult crochet patterns out there and done that instead :lol

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rose

Let me see if i have this right...On the frist strip do the frist 13 rows of DC with color 1 then do 1 row of DC with the 3rd color then do 13 rows of the mixed color,rince and repeat...then when the strip is done do one row of SC around the whole strip in the 3rd color....do i have this right?I was going to test it on a small scale but wanted to make sure.

Im thinking of using Black,Rose pink and Off White.

Yup :yes you got it! That sound pretty.

Rose will be happy to see her pattern redone again,in so many new ways !

:woo:yay:jumpyay:bheart

I still want to try one of these done all in one piece, that is, no joining. I haven't decided on the colors yet, but I'm pretty sure I know how to do it.

I'll definitely share the results here.

I tried and ended up with a tangled disaster :eek Maybe it had something to do with it being my first try with 3 strands and I can't keep track of which way I turned it last. I can't wait to see how it comes out. :hug

Morning all -

Just a checkin to see what's up in here this morning .

Welcome in Gene ! I think I've seen some of your finished afghans and they are gorgeous !

Wow, this will be neat to see you do one all in one piece. I'm like Rose, I think it'd be hard for me to keep things from getting mixed up .

I'll bet you can do it though,and we will anxiously be waiting to see the results.

Do you have colors in mind yet ?

I still want to try one of these done all in one piece, that is, no joining. I haven't decided on the colors yet, but I'm pretty sure I know how to do it.

Gene, I never thought of that! When I make one where I'm not using scraps I'll give it a shot. I made a couple of single strand baby ghans with the same plaid look but never thought of doing it with the 2 strand.

Tangles don't get to me - too much, anyway - since I make graph ghans, too.

Morning everyone. I am soooooooooooooooo tired today. Ambi (dd, 14 tomorrow) went shopping and then I had my mri at 6:30. We left here at 2 and got home at 9. Gainseville is an hour away so 2 hours of that was driving.

She got the funniest looking red PLAID jeans. Thank God I don't have to wear them but, hey - she LOVES them.

I really should work on the aran fisherman ghan I started for Dad. I'm 2 feet into it and absolutely positively HATE the 7 st ropes!!!!! I really should just frog it and come up with a pattern I enjoy doing or it'll never get done. IT's a sucky pic but if you look close you can see the detail in it. I had written it up but I can't find it anywhere. It's not on my computer anymore. :(

post-10150-135897502354_thumb.jpg

Hi Rose

Yea, it sounds like you had a long day yesterday. Red plaid jeans ? Must be something new in style. I have never BEEN in style, so no clue what to wear. I just yank something out and put it on. If it happens to MATCH,then I hit a lucky day. If not, I don't really care much . I don't pay much attention to my clothes ,as long as I'm covered up .

Your red afghan looks pretty from what I can tell. I can't see the stitches much from the picture . Too bad you lost track of your instructions !

sounds difficult to me. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Good morning everyone. Its a beautiful (cold) sunny day here! I hope those of you getting all that snow, stay warm and safe.

RoseRed, I can just barely make out the detail in your afghan. The only Aran style afghan I ever made was from a free pattern on the Coats and Clark site. It was very easy, but I only made it baby size. Hope you find your pattern.

I hope to get around to working up some swatches for my flannelghan today. I have to do some housekeeping first though. Since I've been sick, things have been getting away from me, but since I'm feeling a lot better now.........cleaning is calling me.

Gene, that sounds intimidating to me, but then I can get mixed up easily when doing that many thread changes. Good luck. Can't wait to see pictures of it.

I decided to work up a tiny test swatch using the colors I have. It's a good thing that I did, because I need to use a P hook to get the guage even close to the right measurements. The N was too small by a lot. I took a picture of the color combination I'm planning on using, but it turned out way, way too dark for you to see anything. It will be dark, but pretty. And the variegated will definitely brighten it up when I have a full square of it. And I will have enough yarn to do the whole thing from my stash. Even better. Come on Friday morning. :hook I'm ready and raring to go. :lol

I've done some things like Tapestry Crochet with color changes, so I think I can do it OK.

I love this design, it's so versatile, but I hate sewing the pieces together so much is what is inspiring me to try this.

I haven't made a decision yet on the colors. I may even try a baby-sized one so I can finish sooner - that's it! - and I know someone who'll need one soon, so that'll work out well. They don't know whether it's a boy or a girl, so I'll have to do one of those gender-neutral versions. I know she's into earth-tones, so that may influence my decision on colors.

Well i don't think i am going to be able to do the Flannelgran....just testing yesterday tore my wrist up...the bigger hooks always do this to me but its worse now that im older...Its so sore that ive had to wrap and ace bandage around it so i know that if i try to do this in 16 days it will never get done....dang-it...i really wanted to do this to.

Shaylen, if you use a finger weight yarn and double strand it, you can use an ordingary small hook, H, I, J. You will get the same effect you just have to do more panels and longer. That shouldn't bother your wrist as much. :hug

Hi guys

just another quick stop in.

Cindy- Hope you got geared up today ! it's kind of a day that it'd be easier to lay on the couch and watch tv, with all that snow outside ...

Gene- good luck with your color combos. This will be fun to see what you choose if it's a babyghan in earth tones! Sounds pretty !

and Shay-- it'll be too bad if you can't play along, but Leslie did have a good idea, the smaller yarns and hook may do the trick for you.

It is harder on your hands and wrists using the bigger hook ,so I hope maybe you'll be able to figure something out .

Linda- excited to see your color combo -- maybe once it's complete, you'll have a nice bright day you can take a photo so the colors show well .

Welcome Kathy !

I think we posted at the same time, so didn't see your post earlier . Good luck on your afghans - I'm not good at figuring out designs. If I don't have a pattern, I'm sunk .

It sounds like maybe Gene may be trying to figure out a way of doing the all in one version ..

Good luck to you -- just keep checking in, and maybe someone will be able to assist you .

I worked out a swatch that I think will work to make this baby-size. I used an N hook with 2 strands of Simply Soft. I think I am going to have to buy more yarn though. This is going to use a lot more yarn than I though.

I managed to get all the cleaning and laundry on my list done, and I've been to the grocery store too.

I don't know how much crocheting I will get done tonight though since DD, Dsil and the grandsons will be here pretty soon.

Cindy- sounds great !

That may be another idea for Shay -- if she reads this. The SS yarn is so much softer and slicker that it slides through the hook easier, so maybe there wouldnt be as much tension or friction on her wrist ..

Hope she sees this to test that idea out ,too .

I've done some things like Tapestry Crochet with color changes, so I think I can do it OK.

I love this design, it's so versatile, but I hate sewing the pieces together so much is what is inspiring me to try this.

I haven't made a decision yet on the colors. I may even try a baby-sized one so I can finish sooner - that's it! - and I know someone who'll need one soon, so that'll work out well. They don't know whether it's a boy or a girl, so I'll have to do one of those gender-neutral versions. I know she's into earth-tones, so that may influence my decision on colors.

I've never seen the tapestry crochet before. It looks interesting, but I'm not sure it's something I'll ever actually do.

Ok well seens how I have a few days I have started on the OPArt blanket and have 14 rounds done so far just can't wait till it gets big enough I don't have to keep switching the yarn from needle tip to cable (magic loop cast on) It took me forever just to get it started too :(

Archived