Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

It'll be interesting to see it done with a varigated. For the life of me I can't wrap my brain around what you're thinking of doing with the colors. I'm sure it'll be gorgeous in the end tho.

Just remember that for the games - you are allowed to make swatches and such to figure out your colors and sts and stuff. You could always make 3 strips with 3 or 4 inch blocks and lay them together to get a feel for it. That's what I do.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning all……..

RoseRed: your 3rd color idea sounds cool! That may be my Game’ghan! J

I’m really having fun creating this Valentine Flannel’ghan for hubby.

I have 4 of the 5 strips done so far. I have them at only 5 blocks long right now… I’m checking size. If it needs to be bigger I’ll add the 2 blocks to the ends of the strips.

This is the last pic I took of my progress! Whatcha think guys?

post-18634-135897502269_thumb.jpg

:heart

:mug

aka: :cowboy Jessie

Linda

I can't picture exactly what it will look like because I don't think I have seen all the colors you are describing . I'm sure you'll figure it out ,since you design so many items and are good at picking out colors that match well . It might not hurt to have extra yarn just in case. Wouldn't want to run out partway through .

Tam- the red & white is very pretty ! How long are the strips turning out at the number of blocks you are making ?

Linda

I can't picture exactly what it will look like because I don't think I have seen all the colors you are describing . I'm sure you'll figure it out ,since you design so many items and are good at picking out colors that match well . It might not hurt to have extra yarn just in case. Wouldn't want to run out partway through .

Tam- the red & white is very pretty ! How long are the strips turning out at the number of blocks you are making ?

Thanks Julie (aka: wild bill)

Umm…….. they are 59” long at this point. So with a simple border.. I bet it would be 60-ish” long. The width of my squares are 10” so that will make them connected 50” wide…. So add the border…………. J

So…….. this may be a good size. Hubby is 5’10” or so. Hmmmmm.

I'm not doing the games this year BUT I do have an awesome idea for a 3 color flannel ghan

and would be totally honored if one of you ladies would like to try it out!!

3 color flannelghan

The 3rd color would come in as one row of dc between each of the blocks.

(so if there's 5 blocks there'd be 4 rows of the 3rd color between them.

When the strip is finished crochet a sc border around it in the 3rd color.

(When the strips are joined it'll be about the same width as a dc row)

I'm betting that would look gorgeous! Anybody up for it?!?

I have raspberry that'll be perfect with the pink....:hook

Okay - back to my hook and sticks:D

CU all later this afternoon:hug

Ok I changed my mind on the colors...I have another pattern I want to use the purple and black with...this one right here : http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTopart.html

So I think I will make my flannelghan into one that can be used for a boy...I have a bunch of baby yarn in blue green yellow white and lullabye print so I just have to figure out what to do where and when :lol

Good morning all……..

I have 4 of the 5 strips done so far. I have them at only 5 blocks long right now… I’m checking size. If it needs to be bigger I’ll add the 2 blocks to the ends of the strips.

[ATTACH]16108[/ATTACH]

I think your red/white flannelghan is just gorgeous! I'll have to make one in that color selection myself. But for the Games, I am doing black and paddy green.

Good job!!!

It'll be interesting to see it done with a varigated. For the life of me I can't wrap my brain around what you're thinking of doing with the colors. I'm sure it'll be gorgeous in the end tho.

Just remember that for the games - you are allowed to make swatches and such to figure out your colors and sts and stuff. You could always make 3 strips with 3 or 4 inch blocks and lay them together to get a feel for it. That's what I do.

That's not a half bad idea. Thanks.

Good morning all……..

[ATTACH]16108[/ATTACH]

That is gorgeous!

Ok I changed my mind on the colors...I have another pattern I want to use the purple and black with...this one right here : http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTopart.html

So I think I will make my flannelghan into one that can be used for a boy...I have a bunch of baby yarn in blue green yellow white and lullabye print so I just have to figure out what to do where and when :lol

Oh, that will be so pretty!

Jenni

That baby blanket is really an interesting pattern ! Never saw one quite like that before .Do you think it'll be hard ?

Looks hard for ME, but I am not a good enough knitter to do anything like that .

I don't think it will be too hard at all, I'm actually better at knitting in the round than knitting flat. I do plan on doing it in Stockinette stitch rather than garter stitch, but that just involves knitting and not purling.

teakaycee - that's coming out soooooooooooooooo pretty!

That illusion one is really cool too.

That's not a half bad idea. Thanks.

That is gorgeous!

Oh, that will be so pretty!

I fell in love with the OpArt pattern the first time I saw it about 6 months ago just wasn't expecting and no little ones to make for now I am jumping up and down :clap:lol

Jessie your flannelghan looks so pretty and cozy!!

Nope - I just love them. My real name is Michele.

When DD was in public school it was orange and black Tigers. (She's in private school now)

I'm not doing the games this year BUT I do have an awesome idea for a 3 color flannel ghan

and would be totally honored if one of you ladies would like to try it out!!

3 color flannelghan

The 3rd color would come in as one row of dc between each of the blocks.

(so if there's 5 blocks there'd be 4 rows of the 3rd color between them.

When the strip is finished crochet a sc border around it in the 3rd color.

(When the strips are joined it'll be about the same width as a dc row)

I'm betting that would look gorgeous! Anybody up for it?!?

Rose

Let me see if i have this right...On the frist strip do the frist 13 rows of DC with color 1 then do 1 row of DC with the 3rd color then do 13 rows of the mixed color,rince and repeat...then when the strip is done do one row of SC around the whole strip in the 3rd color....do i have this right?I was going to test it on a small scale but wanted to make sure.

Im thinking of using Black,Rose pink and Off White.

Tam, yours is looking great! I think I had better look for more pinks or purple for mine...and white. It's going to go fast. At least I already wrote down a smaller version of the pattern for use as a baby ghan... I think it'll work out okay.

That's a very nice pattern!

Good morning all……..

[ATTACH]16108[/ATTACH]

Tammy that is so pretty...i love the way it pops.

I don't think it will be too hard at all, I'm actually better at knitting in the round than knitting flat. I do plan on doing it in Stockinette stitch rather than garter stitch, but that just involves knitting and not purling.

Man i wish i could knit in the round...how in the heck do you keep it all on the needles...by the time i think it is going to work i have my fingers all tied together :lol

I have my colors picked for the "games-ghan"... black and orange. they are the schools' colors. I will be donating mine to our PTO's Parents Night Out fundraiser event.

Our community schools have orange and black as their colors too. Must be a common set of school colors.

Jude

Yea, I know. This is addicting to a degree .I usually turn it on, post, and then go back to see if anyone answered . If they did, I post again.

Repeat ..

I do that all day ,but you're right, it takes out a lot of crochet time ,etc .

I need to schedule myself a little bit better too. I'm trying harder to do that .

I hibernate the computer when I'm finished, must less temptation to "quick" check in when I have to wait a few minutes for it to get started again....because a "quick" look for me can sometimes consume 45 minutes.

Good morning all……..

[ATTACH]16108[/ATTACH]

I think it looks great!

Man i wish i could knit in the round...how in the heck do you keep it all on the needles...by the time i think it is going to work i have my fingers all tied together :lol

I haven't tried knitting in the round yet, but when ever I see someone doing it, I imagine what a mess I could make out of that. I am very clumsy. I love your saying "having my fingers tied together", because that's probably what I would end up with, literally.

Hey guys

Just a quick check in. It sounds like you are all busily trying to figure out your colors and plans for your flannelghans. Can't wait to see all the pretty combos we come up with !

Rose will be happy to see her pattern redone again,in so many new ways !

LOL belive it or not that's actually the first thing I did when I learned to knit. My very first knitting project was a preemie hat done on DPN's in the round and my ex MIL who is an amazing knitter was shocked because apparently it's really hard to to in the round and on dpn's for the first time :lol

Jenni, it sounds like you're a knitting "natural". It's definitely in your DNA.

And you sound like me: I didn't know crocheting doilies or baby layette sets weren;t beginner projects when I taught myself to crochet...:lol:lol

I didn't do too badly....;)

My biggest problem is not twisting the first row when I'm working with circular needles. Once I get past that part it's not too bad. I tend to jump into things feet first, too, and do things that aren't what you normally tackle first. It's more fun that way. :devil

Archived