Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

I just finished my last panel! :cheer:clap:cheer

I still have ends and sewing together and then the border begins but I got this far so far :wlol

I got a little distracted with other stuff this weekend so I am glad I did finally pick up that 10mm hook and just finish this.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lavendar and green...... AWESOME! I wish my husband crocheted! Gene....Does your wife? I was thinking about teaching my nine year old son but everyone told me not to because people will make fun of him! So now he feels it is "girly". He doesn't want to learn! People can be such jerks sometimes!!!

Jen - my wife CAN crochet (a little) she doesn't have the "bug" like me, though. My daughters crochet (and one knits), but my son has never expressed an interest. I know he has a positive model in me that crocheting is not necessarily a female hobby. He knows I'm a rare bird (in more ways than one). That's one reason I like to crochet in public, to show that men can crochet, too. I'm comfortable enough with my masculinity to not be labeled non-manly because of my hobby.

I love these colours. it is going to be so wonderful when you get it done. i like to plan ahead.. what did you have in mind for a border? Anything fancy by chance. (My son would not permit "fancy" :sigh )

I really like this one. yes it is subtle, but really neat.

Darski - I don't want to get TOO fancy with the border, since it's supposed to be a flannel-looking blanket. No lacy edging for this one.

:hug Rose Red, your dress is gorgeous. I would have picked that one myself. Ditto on the request for A detail photo of the embroidery. Also, can't wait to see the shawl. I am so happy for you.

Gene, you are not alone. My Uncle John can knit, crochet, do crewel and gorgeous counted cross stitch. Some of the crewel work he did is masterly. No one has had too many questions about his masculinity :lol .

Gene, you are not alone. My Uncle John can knit, crochet, do crewel and gorgeous counted cross stitch. Some of the crewel work he did is masterly. No one has had too many questions about his masculinity :lol .

Anyone remember Rosy Grier (sp?) - he was a football player who did, I think, needlepoint!

Anyone remember Rosy Grier (sp?) - he was a football player who did, I think, needlepoint!

I remember him. I was doing needlepoint at the time myself and he was very good and very creative.

Well, yesterday I picked up my 2nd pounder of red and finished off strip #3 while the wash was in at the laundrymat. I then started on strip #4. About 3/4 of the way through the first block I realized I'd started with double cream, instead of cream and red. Oops. I think since I'm only a few rows in, I'll just frog and try again. If I was on block 4, I'd just create a seperate block in the combo and join it onto the end. My DH really thinks it is looking good. I will need to pick up a second cream, I'll have enough (I think) for this strip, but not strip 5. Still no pictures, I was having a very lazy, somewhat depressed (was a rough week...), not wanting to do a darn thing weekend. (Well, we did go see Harry on Friday, which was great!)

I started these panels last night and just finished the last one 5 mins ago.

pink1.jpg

I worked over10 stitches for 5 rows so my "blocks" are just short of 6 inches. I am a bit sorry that the pink I had was a little too pastel to really form a contrast with the white but there yah go.

What is so funny about this is that I started making these panels in order to avoid sewing the blue ones together. Now I have even more panels to sew together :rofl

What is so funny about this is that I started making these panels in order to avoid sewing the blue ones together. Now I have even more panels to sew together :rofl

:lol I hear ya on the not sewing thing... I'm not looking forward to sewing up mine. (that's one of the reasons I'm not sure if I'm going to do this for MIL, but it would be cool if their blankets matched...)

I have some ideas on colors for her though (yes, it's ben a 'productive' day at the office...)

Bernat Super Value in damson and pale antique rose: http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=supervalue

Or eggplant and dark rose from Darkhorse Yarn http://www.darkhorseyarn.com/basicyarn.aspx?category=Fantasy&type=basic. I bought some of their yarn from a LYS in Florida for my cousin's baby and it is soooo soft and nice. It's about a 'DK' weight yarn.

As much as I'd love to use more of the Dark Horse yarn, I'll probably end up with the Bernat just because of the cost. The Dark Horse runs about $5 for a 100 g ball, so it's a bit pricey. I didn't mind paying it in the least for my cousin, because I only needed 6 skeins, for this I'd need about double that. I hate to admit it, but I've got to watch every cent right now.

I have some ideas on colors for her though (yes, it's been a 'productive' day at the office...)

Bernat Super Value in damson and pale antique rose: http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=supervalue

Or eggplant and dark rose from Darkhorse Yarn http://www.darkhorseyarn.com/basicyarn.aspx?category=Fantasy&type=basic. I bought some of their yarn from a LYS in Florida for my cousin's baby and it is soooo soft and nice. It's about a 'DK' weight yarn.

Either of those would be very pretty. I would love to see the Eggplant and Dark Rose done but I agree that it would get very pricey indeed for one of these.

The Damson and pale Antique Rose would be so pretty - I can't wait to see whichever set you choose. (If you choose this :wlol )

I have been wondering what I could do for a next one - also in baby size since they go so quickly. I think you could use any 2 colours and it would look good. Contrast or no contrast. Although, I don't think I would make a baby blue and white one after seeing how the pink did not create what I thought I would get.

I have a medium royal blue that might work for a boy... hmmn

Ok, brain is engaged now. I cannot deal with putting these together. I will sew the blue one but I am using sc in a deep rose for the pink and white version. i will do something with it to make the sc divisions work. :think

I just cannot deal with whip stitching. I don't even have any appreciation - only pity - for those of you who do sew these things :rofl

Ok, brain is engaged now. I cannot deal with putting these together. I will sew the blue one but I am using sc in a deep rose for the pink and white version. i will do something with it to make the sc divisions work. :think

I just cannot deal with whip stitching. I don't even have any appreciation - only pity - for those of you who do sew these things :rofl

I understand Darski, I truly do. For my mint and navy one, I used slip stitches instead of SC or whip stitching. It created a bit of a 'wrong' side, but it really isn't all that noticeable from a distance and it went soooo much faster!

I understand Darski, I truly do. For my mint and navy one, I used slip stitches instead of SC or whip stitching. It created a bit of a 'wrong' side, but it really isn't all that noticeable from a distance and it went soooo much faster!

Thank you Addey, :hug

I knew you would understand. it is so annoying because I just love how these look and how quickly they get made. :sigh

I remember Rosy Grier. He said he used to do it on the plane when they traveled and in hotel rooms. I saw him on one of the talk shows once showing off his needlepoint. Gorgeous.

Darski, when I joined some charity ghans I used sc to join the squares on the GOOD side - it saved me having to border the squares and made for an interesting look. I'm not sure how it would look with these strips, though. I think I'll do the sl st or sc to join mine anyway - it's going to be big so I don't want to make myself crazy by doing my usual whipstitch (which I usually enjoy doing:D ) !

I certainly appreciate your pity - at least us gals all hate whipstitching together! :hug

I certainly appreciate your pity - at least us gals all hate whipstitching together! :hug

This GUY dislikes the joining thing as well. I prefer afghans all in one piece, but the look of this flannelghan is too much to resist!

I WAS going to whipstitch the strips. When slip stitching, don't you get a little bead between the strips? Would you slip stitch with both colors together or the dominant one only? By the dominant one, I mean the one that appears in all corners.

oh, Gene - I already told you - You're one of the girls! :rofl

i didn't forget about you!

You will get seams if you do anything other than whipstitch. I use 1 strand and it blends in. I drove myself bonkers trying to figure out which color to sew it with and there's so much varigated in the block that you don't see it at all.

You will get seams if you do anything other than whipstitch. I use 1 strand and it blends in. I drove myself bonkers trying to figure out which color to sew it with and there's so much varigated in the block that you don't see it at all.

That is interesting. with the blue one, I changed colour every block since that is about the amount of thread you should have on a needle at one time. I matched to the solid block for each segment

Oh, I know! I was just ribbing you about the "girls" comment...:devil:rolleyes

So, did you use the yarn dangling at the corner of each block to whipstitch? I (hopefully) left enough at each color change to whipstitch a block with the thought of that in mind.

I think I used two strands of navy on my navy and mint. (Yes, I'm too lazy to walk the 6 feet to go check... :D ) Navy is the color that will be on at least one side of every seam...

I don't have any left at the ends of my color changes since I hate weaving ends in, I work over them in the next row. Although, in this case, it might make sense to leave extra long tails to sew with. hmmm..... :think

Archived