Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

Welcome KnickKnack and Leslie!! I'm always happy to see new color combinations. I'm trying to decide if for my MIL's ghan to use this pattern with a dark purple and light pink or light purple and dark pink... I was originally going to do something different for her, but it might be kinda cool if her's and FIL's match. (I'm making them for their birthdays, which are both in October... she asked for "pinks and purples") Maybe a RR for her, they go pretty fast too, I just don't know!! I'll figure it out once I find the right yan I guess...

Heather!! Your's looks great! I think mine will be about the same size, and hopefuly plenty big enough for my well over 6' tall FIL to use while watching TV in the recliner as a lapghan.

I would post a picture this morning, but after being picked up at the airport yesterday evening, DH, my 'sister' and her guy went out to dinner and to see Harry! (Go, see it! It's not quite as good as the book, but the books around 1000 pages long!) This morning DH left and my suitcase with my WIP as well as my dirty clothes, are still in the truck. Hopefully this evening. I also hope to pick up another skein of crimson (clarett actually...) today or tomorrow so I can finish. I'm soooo close! I ran out of crimson 4.5 rows from completing strip 3. I may just pick up another cream, even though it looks like I have plenty to finish the strips, I still need some for the border and the OU.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome KnickKnack and Leslie!! I'm always happy to see new color combinations. I'm trying to decide if for my MIL's ghan to use this pattern with a dark purple and light pink or light purple and dark pink...

I would heartily recommend the dark purple with a light pink. I think the contrast is a large part of the charm of these.

I have been using a rich wonderful plum colour for some stuff lately and it would be wonderful in this technique. it was in the RH pounders.

this is from the Van Gogh Along

VG2.jpg

it is the colour in the centre. I hope it shows up as pretty as it really is

oooOOOOoo very pretty Darski! Like I said, I think I have to find the yarn to know what I'm going to do with it. (I think part of the problem is these days I'm not much of a 'pink' person and so many that I find are so pastel and whimpy, I like color in my colors....)

Anyway, I forgot I took this picture on my phone yesterday. On my first flight (4 hours from Reno to Atlanta) there were 3 young kids sitting in the row in front of me, 2 girls and a boy. I was working on my ghan and the girl in the middle turned around and was watching in amazement. Well, I kinda showed her how to chain (it was kinda tough from the 'back seat' and the seatbelt sign was on so I couldn't get up and help her...) and this is what she came up with before she got bored.

th_girlchain.jpg

Yes, I just let her work right on my strip, I knew I could frog it and move on and she was soooo interested. she did a GREAT job with dealing with two strands and an N hook. Her first dozen or so chains turned out really great, then the strands started giving her issues. I hope she sees it again and picks it up sometime. Her sister played along for a few minutes with a ball of cram and a K hook (which I lost somewhere on the plane...), but was no where near as interested.

I guess I just wanted to share the story and show you a little corner of what my colors look like. enjoy!

th_girlchain.jpg

I guess I just wanted to share the story and show you a little corner of what my colors look like. enjoy!

Now that is a beautiful red. I've never met a red I didn't like.

I think you may have seen the start of a couple of new crocheters from your kindness and interest in the girls. I think it would mean something to them that you let them use your real stuff. :hug

How fun, to show someone our craft!! :) I know I always watched my grandmother crochet, but it wasn't until my son was born & I was living with friends that I learned. My first project was a doily pattern made out of yarn! :lol

I agree, I think you could almost pick any 2 colors and whip 'em together for this one. :clap :clap :clap 3 cheers for RoseRed for not only coming up with the pattern but also for being so generous and sharing it with us!! :manyheart :manyheart

My next project is a heart border in thread. I plan on making enough to edge pillows for a wedding gift. Then another flannelghan for a Christmas gift for the name drawing family gift. :) Can we say addicted.....??:devil

Well, I spoke too quickly about the colors for my Flannelghan. Since I was interrupting my SILs birthday present and his colors are red and black, I said to put me down for red and black.

I've changed my mind. My wife's birthday is coming up in August, so I want to do one for her. She works at night two or three times a week, so I have the opportunity to do this in secret while she is either at work or sleeping during the day. The colors I've chosen for her Lumberjack Flannelghan are green and lavender:

815325995_e04ca53943_m.jpg

The colors don't show well here, I think because I took the picture on our dining room table and the white shows through. Anyway, you get the idea. You can click the image for a larger version.

Darski, you were right, this goes very quickly. I've gotten over half way through the second panel. One of my daughters saw it and gave the OK for the colors - she said "Mom will LOVE it". Good enough for me. :manyheart

I've changed my mind. My wife's birthday is coming up in August, so I want to do one for her. She works at night two or three times a week, so I have the opportunity to do this in secret while she is either at work or sleeping during the day. The colors I've chosen for her Lumberjack Flannelghan are green and lavender:

You can click the image for a larger version.

Darski, you were right, this goes very quickly. I've gotten over half way through the second panel. One of my daughters saw it and gave the OK for the colors - she said "Mom will LOVE it". Good enough for me. :manyheart

Oh my goodness I LOVE those colors!!!! :U Criminentlies...I need an LYS so I can ponder yarns...it's just not the same online. They all feel like a computer monitor for some reason....:lol

Hi everyone, I just love all your ghans you have made. So I decided to start one myself and I roped my mum into making one as well. I am using the colors blue and black and mum is using blue and white. This goes pretty quickly doesnt it. I got 37 rows done on my first strip today.

Wow! Looks very good there Gene! Even though you say the colors are a bit off, it looks like the most subtle combination we've had yet, they remind me of heather. I agree with your daughter, she'll love it.

Welcome Ausie! Can't wait to see your ghans.

this is sooooooooooooooooooo exciting!!! I love the color combo Gene! Try to take a pic outside in sunlight - it seems to be the best for picking up colors.

I just love that everyone's so excited about making these! You guys really made my day today!

RoseRed, Addey, Judy, Heather,

Thanks! I've been validated! :bow:day

I'll have to put it aside for awhile, though (just finished second strip). We're going out of town and can't take this surprise project with me. I plan on making a 7 x 7 panel so it's big enough to fit the bed if need be.

Fortunately, my wife likes to drive, so I'll be crocheting away and hopefully catching up on my other projects :blush

Lavendar and green...... AWESOME! I wish my husband crocheted! Gene....Does your wife? I was thinking about teaching my nine year old son but everyone told me not to because people will make fun of him! So now he feels it is "girly". He doesn't want to learn! People can be such jerks sometimes!!!

The colors don't show well here, I think because I took the picture on our dining room table and the white shows through. Anyway, you get the idea. You can click the image for a larger version.

:manyheart

I love these colours. it is going to be so wonderful when you get it done. i like to plan ahead.. what did you have in mind for a border? Anything fancy by chance. (My son would not permit "fancy" :sigh )

I really like this one. yes it is subtle, but really neat.

Lavendar and green...... AWESOME! I wish my husband crocheted! Gene....Does your wife? I was thinking about teaching my nine year old son but everyone told me not to because people will make fun of him! So now he feels it is "girly". He doesn't want to learn! People can be such jerks sometimes!!!

Both of my brother learned how to crochet when we were kids, and crocheted a lot!! But now they'd rather play video games............

Does he ever as you to make items for him? If so it would be a great way to involve him in it, or making a gift for someone.

P6060236.jpgP6060237.jpg

We walked into J C Penny's and it was the 1st dress I saw!

I tried on about a dozen and this was my favorite!

We finally set the date - July 30. I know - it's a Monday.

It's ivory - which I think is appropriate since I was married once before and I have my Amber.

I LOVE my dress!

That is the perfect dress.:yes I love that. wow, I bet it feels like heaven. oooooh. I love weddings.

Thank you for the extra pic of the embroidery detail. :dreaming Love it all over the place

and I'm still making my shawl. Maybe I'll let Amber wear it so it'll be blessed.

I can't post any pics of it yet since I'm pattern testing it for Kathy. Actually it's more like she's holding my hand and helping me with my first HUGE thread filet project! We both started it over twice because we weren't happy with the guage with the thread we were using. I can tell you it has Roses and leaves and a gorgeous border. It's more of a stole but it dips down in the back like a shawl!

I can't wait to get it done and share pics!

With Kathy designing and you making the shawl, it is bound to be lovely.

I'll just sit here quietly waiting for pics... no problem... :hyper No hurry, :hyper, any time is good for me :hyper , is it done yet? :hyper

:rofl sorry couldn't be helped

BEAUTIFUL dress!! I wore an off-white dress, even though it was my first marriage. I had a 13-year-old son at the time of our wedding, so it would have been hard to pull off that "virgin" look! :lol I don't look good in white anyway, and I found a beautiful prom dress that even fit!! LOL At my size, that could have been tricky. :(

I can't wait to see the shawl!!! :yes

Archived