Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my afghan is going to end up at around 91 inches long? have I done something wrong?

each block is about 13 inches high and 7 X 13 = 91

Should I stop after 6 blocks instead of 7?

my afghan is going to end up at around 91 inches long? have I done something wrong?

Darski, I just read page one and with the N hook it should be 10" a square. I would just stop at 6 then, uness it messes up the look...Maybe your work isn't as tight as others?

I just measured mine, and I'm running right at 11 inches per block. I opted to do only 12 rows per block, so that affects it as well. At about 77 inches, I love the length of it. If you didn't want to frog it and make the blocks smaller, you could just make a couple extra strips, so the ghan is wider as well, and could probably be used as a bedspread.

my strips are about 7 feet long I don't mind cuase I wanted to make one that would work for my mom and my step dad and he is kinda very tall so it will still work out well if at the end I decide it is too long and not wide enough I will add more strips. I plan on making the one that I keep bigger cause I want it to go over my queen size bed and be big enough for me and the DH and my DD to snuggle under. So I figure I will stick with 7 feet long cause the bed is 6 foot long and I will probably add another 2 strips to make sure it is plenty big. I hope to have a pic of my second complete strip tomorrow. I can't wait to lay the two next to each other so I can take a pic to show my mom how it is gonna look she is so excited to be getting something that I have actually made and that the baby has "helped" me make lol. Wow why is whenever I post I post a book? Next time I post I promise that I won't post a novel!

Melissa, I am known for novels :book too!! :lol

CrochetDad - woohoo!! :cheer Glad to have you with us!! :lol

:manyheart this pattern!! I'm so bummed that I had to go to work so I can't work on that!! :blush Actually, for the strips, as long as I'm working nightshift I can...:devil:hook

Let's see...I think I said an "O" hook, but I meant a "P" hook (who knew they didn't make an "O"? LOL). Mine is going to be 50" square, I believe. 10" by 50" strips and I'm only making 5 strips. It's my practice ghan, but has been promised to be for my neice to use when she visits!!

And now I'm rambling...so I'll simply ponder stash-busting ideas....:hook;)

Melissa, I am known for novels :book too!! :lol

CrochetDad - woohoo!! :cheer Glad to have you with us!! :lol

:manyheart this pattern!! I'm so bummed that I had to go to work so I can't work on that!! :blush Actually, for the strips, as long as I'm working nightshift I can...:devil:hook

Let's see...I think I said an "O" hook, but I meant a "P" hook (who knew they didn't make an "O"? LOL). Mine is going to be 50" square, I believe. 10" by 50" strips and I'm only making 5 strips. It's my practice ghan, but has been promised to be for my neice to use when she visits!!

And now I'm rambling...so I'll simply ponder stash-busting ideas....:hook;)

I was trying yesterday to figure out the sizing for my FIL's blanket. I liked the idea of 5X5. I was thinking of making it 60" square and using 12" blocks... Now I may just stick with the 10" blocks and only do 50x50 like you... hmm... guess I'd better decide quick since I'm taking this project to CA with me this week!

Darski - you don't have to finish out the pattern. That's the beauty of the Lumberjack flannel. you can end it where ever you want.

I think it's kinda cool that you might end the edge a block short. this way your son can pick whichever side he likes better and use that for the top. Other than us (you know - this group of yarn crazy ladies - I doubt anyone else would notice.)

Are the blocks square? Mrs Crochet pants did one and it came out in rectangles and that one was really cute too.

I would stop at 6.

If I ever get off this stupid machine - i'm going back to working on my Amanda Shawl. OOOOHHHHH - wait till you guys see it!!!!! It's a filet rose shawl in Kathy' unique style.

For those of you that missed it - i'm getting married!!!! This'll be my wedding shawl! We haven't set a date yet but it'll be sometime this month! I've got to get my fingers going!!!

Crochet Dad - I'm not excluding you at all. Think of it as a compliment - you're just one of the girls!!!

Thanks - I DO take that as a complement in THIS group! :blush

Oh - and congratulations!!!!

thanks Rose, I think I will decide where to stop when i get to the end of the six blocks.

My blocks are rectangular but when I looked at the original one in the first post they seemed a bit rectangular so i figured I was all right. Well it looks good and that is what matters i guess.

i am also concerned about having enough of the yarn if I go too far over the expectations.

I have 4 pounds of Navy and 3 pounds of light blue. The double navies occur more often than the double light blues so I am pretty much betting the rent money on this working. :wlol OK, that was true in the original. I can't say how it will work now.

I was thinking that I could maybe make it 5 blocks long (65 inches) and then work a really wide border - at least 6 inches - so I would get 75 inches that way. (edited to add the comment that I can't add :wlol 65" + 12 inches would be 77 inches. however, the finished panel is actually 66 inches so It would be 78 with a wide border)

It would keep the symmetry that is part of the charm on this.

I am on that 5th block now.

:think:think:think:think:think

Ok... deep breath<<<>>>. I am going to go with the 5 blocks and fix it after that with the border. I know the border rounds will be tedious but I don't see what else to do with it.

I was thinking that I could maybe make it 5 blocks long (65 inches) and then work a really wide border - at least 6 inches - so I would get 75 inches that way. (edited to add the comment that I can't add :wlol 65" + 12 inches would be 77 inches. however, the finished panel is actually 66 inches so It would be 78 with a wide border)

It would keep the symmetry that is part of the charm on this.

I am on that 5th block now.

:think:think:think:think:think

Ok... deep breath<<<>>>. I am going to go with the 5 blocks and fix it after that with the border. I know the border rounds will be tedious but I don't see what else to do with it.

Darski--I think that would work beautifully. Depending on what kind of border you did, it wouldn't have to be all that tedious. I hear ya, though, I don't much like doing borders either. I have my first two panels done, and I'm dragging me feet on whipstitching them together. *sigh*

Darski - I think that'll work out fine. What you could do is put the mixed blocks in the corners and use the navy on the border. This way you'll know you have enough yarn to work with.

Are you thinking about a solid dc border or something with holes to make it go faster?

Darski - I think that'll work out fine. What you could do is put the mixed blocks in the corners and use the navy on the border. This way you'll know you have enough yarn to work with.

Are you thinking about a solid dc border or something with holes to make it go faster?

I like how it looks so far with the navy as the corner so I will go with that.

I am going to wait until I get to the border to see what will work and how much yarn if any I have left. I may have to bring in another colour to complete the border so I am going to cross that bridge when I get there.

I was trying yesterday to figure out the sizing for my FIL's blanket. I liked the idea of 5X5. I was thinking of making it 60" square and using 12" blocks... Now I may just stick with the 10" blocks and only do 50x50 like you... hmm... guess I'd better decide quick since I'm taking this project to CA with me this week!

You could still do 60" square...that would be 6 blocks. Oh wait...never mind. Duh. Need an odd number. Egads...I thought I got some sleep today!! :lol (I was going to just not post this, but I figured we all needed a good laugh!!)

On the upside, I have my first request!! Dark green with grey. Not a dark grey but not a light grey. Sure am glad he was so clear on that. :lol So as soon as I'm done with my purple/soft white, it's off to my OYS (online yarn shop...I don't have any LYSs anymore, except Wal-Mart :( ).....

You could still do 60" square...that would be 6 blocks. Oh wait...never mind. Duh. Need an odd number. Egads...I thought I got some sleep today!! :lol (I was going to just not post this, but I figured we all needed a good laugh!!)

On the upside, I have my first request!! Dark green with grey. Not a dark grey but not a light grey. Sure am glad he was so clear on that. :lol So as soon as I'm done with my purple/soft white, it's off to my OYS (online yarn shop...I don't have any LYSs anymore, except Wal-Mart :( ).....

That is going to be one classy ghan! I can't wait to see that one done. :hug

BTW, RH has a nice medium grey colour

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44085

The camera reflected off the grey and it is not that light. It looks so neat with the dark green

That is going to be one classy ghan! I can't wait to see that one done. :hug

BTW, RH has a nice medium grey colour

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44085

The camera reflected off the grey and it is not that light. It looks so neat with the dark green

That looks very close to the color I'm thinking of!! A dark forest green, right? Now to find the grey. I love RH yarns for ease & cost in projects like this.

It's been a very busy night at work tonight :blush I need my :hook and :yarn to keep me sane and all I have is my homework!! :lol Ah well.

As part of the Look up in the Sky CAL, I am going to be spending most of the week on this project so I can take this off the WIP/WIM list/

I am really looking forward to seeing it get finished now. I have the 2nd panel to where I can see how the light blue looks beside the other panel.

The border is a thinking project for the week :think

The second panel is just about to finish off. I want to put the two together ( and tidy those ends before I go on to the 3rd panel)

If my hydro stays on, I will post a pic later today. :yes

I just did the first row, checking to see what size hook I felt comfortable with - I'm going with a P, wooden hook. It slides better. I crochet tightly most of the time, so it should work - I'll also be checking the measurements as I go along.

i just finished my second strip it is looking good I will take pics of the strip later and of my 2 strips laying together I just don't have it in me to set it all up right now I just got home from work where I had a car accident just not my day. So hopefully later I will get some more work done on strip number 3

Melissa, I hope you're okay! You're in a congested part of the state from what I remember...take care.:hug

Melissa, I hope you're okay! You're in a congested part of the state from what I remember...take care.:hug

I'm alright I guess I am waiting for my DH to come home and we are going to discuss sitting at the hospital for 90 million hours just incase there is something wrong I am a little soar in the back and my left hip so I really don't know what we will do but either way I am more or less ok. =o) I am doing better than the car I was in at least which is a good thing. But worst case sceniero I leave my DD with my aunt and go to the hospital sit in the emergency room for a few hours but I take my crochet and get my third strip done while I wait for a doc.

And yes I am in a very congested part of the state. it is pretty trafficky even at good times it sucks but what can ya do.

Redrose- Thanks for the well wishes

Archived