Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

I just finished my first strip of red and white. I have had to delay working on this several times because of prayer shawls, baby showers and other things that seem to just pop up unplanned! I am back on track. Lindar, I am looking for a picture of your turquioise and green color combo!

Well I finished my first strip last night. It really looks nice. I plan to start the second one tonight.

Have a great weekend!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm now on strip #4! So far it really looks great and it will go perfect in my daughters new room (we are re-doing her room as aoon as school gets out). What is the best way to join the strips? I will post a picture soon (as soon as I figure out how to do it :0) )

Have a great day!

If you don't mind a 'right side' and a 'wrong side' I just joined them all with slip stitches after tying the corners together to make sure everything was lined up right... It gives it a front and a back, but I think it looks OK anyhow and I hate whip stitching strips together :P

• 3 weeks later...

My goodness what a fun thread this has been to read!! And yes, I read it from the VERY beginning!! :eek And now I have some high hopes/lofty ambitions. I have a large extended family, and we currently (thank goodness!) purchase gifts for just the children and then draw couples' names to exchange for the adults (i.e. my DH & I would buy for my cousin and her DH, and they would get another couple...does that make sense?). The other side of the family we draw names from the age of 8 and up, so there aren't quite as many there to get for...(both my parents had large-ish families...Dad is 1 of 4 (and one of those had 5 kids!!), Mom was 1 of 6 (and one of those had 5!!).

What a great heirloom gift to make for the young'uns and even for the adults. I have to run this past my DH and then get color ideas from the relatives...but here's to Christmas 2008!! LOL Now to figure out what to do for 2007....:think

Heather

Welcome Heather! These really do work up in a snap. I managed to get mine done in about a week and that's with having to redo one strip and put off the whole joining thing for a few days... I'm sure you could probably get one side of the fam done. Also, for the littler kids, you might try a K hook and smaller squares for a kid sized one. I'm about to do one in crimson and cream with a K to make an extra-large lapghan size. (Not quite full afghan, but larger than a lapghan, I'm aiming for 40 X 60 or there abouts...)

I'm thinking that one will go really fast too.

Good luck and I can't wait to see picture!!

Hey there, Heather! It'll be great to have you here! These really do work up fast. You can do school colors, sports team colors, fav colors - the combinations could be endless.

I would do smaller sq's instead of using a K with 2 strands of WW. My hands are aching from doing purse handles at the moment.

If you need help with the math or with resizing the pattern - let us know. We'll be happy to help you.

I have just started one of these as a surprise for my husband. I will be working while he's at work so it may take a while. Has anyone ever made this bigger? He is really tall and complains that most blankets/afghans are not large enough. My gauge using a P hook is not 10" I think it is about 8" and they are not coming out square. I'm thinking of adding 2 squares extra in both length and width. Any suggestions would be great.

Patty-

If they're not coming out square, just add or subtract rows until they are, or leave them not square, the call is yours. (I think I had to make mine 2 rows shorter for each 'sqaure', but I don't remember right now...)

My DH is 6'7", so I understand about the extra long blanket thing. I did mine the same as called for and is nice and long, but a little short for DH. Adding two in both directions should make it plenty big for him and leave enough room for you to snuggle close :D

I found this thread yesterday and thought I'd post a link to it here!

:yay Great job on both of them. :yay

Scooby Inspired w/ Flowers

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x60/jelepe75/?action=view&current=5-7-07004.jpg

Black & Blue

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x60/jelepe75/?action=view&current=5-7-07005.jpg

I MY GOSH!!!! I just love the Scoobyghan! Absolutely wonderful!!!

GREAT JOB :clap

jimbosredNavy.jpg

this is the ghan I made for jimbo (our resident hook maker) It's 5x7 feet. I added an extra 2 blocks to the end of each strip and 2 extra rows. I'm pretty sure that I changed the size of the block to match but I don't remember off hand.

Test your gauge by folding the sq in half diagonally. If it makes a perfect triangle then it's sq. You can add st's to the rows and you can add or subtract rows from the block to get your gauge. Just play around with it for a little bit and change the pattern accordingly.

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought to just put in less rows. My Hubby is 6'9" so I will be adding the two extra blocks.

Patty-

If they're not coming out square, just add or subtract rows until they are, or leave them not square, the call is yours. (I think I had to make mine 2 rows shorter for each 'sqaure', but I don't remember right now...)

My DH is 6'7", so I understand about the extra long blanket thing. I did mine the same as called for and is nice and long, but a little short for DH. Adding two in both directions should make it plenty big for him and leave enough room for you to snuggle close :D

Rose Red - thanks for the help your afghan looks great and probably about the size I need. Now I just need to work on getting the right size blocks.

Hi, Rose Red!

This looks like JUST what I was looking for! My baby brother is 6'8" and everything is so small for him...with this pattern he and his average-sized wife can snuggle under it

I'm thinking of using my stash and making it multicolored (using Aran to soften the eclectic mix of colors as one lady here did.

Great idea!

Wow! It looks like my DH is a shorty! :P (I never thought that would be the case...)

Also, is it just me, or do us shorter girls keep falling for the really tall guys? I think I only dated 2 guys under the 6' mark....

Wow! It looks like my DH is a shorty! :P (I never thought that would be the case...)

Also, is it just me, or do us shorter girls keep falling for the really tall guys? I think I only dated 2 guys under the 6' mark....

I grew up with a 6'4" dad and a mom who was 5'2"...my DH is 5'8"...I told him I was tired of craning my neck to look up at the men in my family (other brother is 6'5"!). You also have to shout to be heard by them, since you're voice projects in front of you!!:lol :lol :lol

BTW: I'm 5'4":D

I too am 5'4".

Just to see how comic my life really is, here's a picture from our wedding almost 2 years ago now. You can definately tell who belongs to who huh?

:lol

weddingparty.jpg?t=1183395814

I grew up with a 6'4" dad and a mom who was 5'2"...my DH is 5'8"...I told him I was tired of craning my neck to look up at the men in my family (other brother is 6'5"!). You also have to shout to be heard by them, since you're voice projects in front of you!!:lol :lol :lol

BTW: I'm 5'4":D

I too am 5'4".

Just to see how comic my life really is, here's a picture from our wedding almost 2 years ago now. You can definately tell who belongs to who huh?

:lol

weddingparty.jpg?t=1183395814

:lol :lol

we used to make the big ones sit on the sofa!!

Rose, I have been staying away from this CAL (see Look up in the Sky! :wlol ) but I noticed that you had listed all the finished ghans in the first post. This is def going to be my first stop when I get all those WIP's in hand.

I love all of these. :ghug

I started tinkering over the weekend with RHSS amethyst and soft white and did 2 shorter strips (5 squares). My DH LOVES it, loves the concept, loves the plan AND (I about died of shock!!) agreed to try to help by stitching them together!! I had jokingly mentioned that I may have to enlist him and DS to help out...and he agreed! :eek:manyheart :manyheart to him!!

I went with an "O" hook and my initial chain was 22 chains, giving me 20 dc across and then 11 rows for a square. I absolutely LOVE the ease of this pattern!!

I will post a picture as soon as I have 5 strips (I'm making this one smaller, but it will still be 50x50-ish) done and at least laid out on the floor. :)

Heather

Rose, I have been staying away from this CAL (see Look up in the Sky! :wlol ) but I noticed that you had listed all the finished ghans in the first post. This is def going to be my first stop when I get all those WIP's in hand.

I love all of these. :ghug

Darski, I got a dispensation (of sorts:lol ) for Christmas stuff!

[quote name='judianne']Darski, I got a dispensation (of sorts:lol ) for Christmas stuff![/quote]

I could do one of these for my trucker son instead of the Nascar graph. (or at least as a place holder until I can put the Jimmy Johnston one together)

These are all so lovely and I can just imagine what they feel like for nestling into. :c9

Archived