Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

Hey, I just realized I never gave you an update about my FIL. (His blanket is being sent out today... see... CAL related :P)

He went into the hospital last Friday night and they found a blood clot in his lung. Then Monday night something happened and he became very agetated and not very coherent. This week has been a roller coaster of what's been the cause of this and are Jim and I heading out to OK. (Which is why the blankets aren't being sent out until today, we're not going.)

At first they thought he'd had a stroke. Nope, that wasn't the cause.

Then they thought it might be an infection. Nope, the spinal came back clean.

Then the finally figured out yesterday that he'd had a very mild heart attack and with the blood thinners, it caused all the problems.

He's getting much better and stronger and finally called Jim's brother by the right name last night. (He'd been calling him Michael, Jim's middle name and the name his parents still call him....)

So, hopefully Wednesday he'll be released from the hospital. Jim and I decided not to go out now, but sometime after the first of the year. (either way, our choice will be wrong according to his mother...)

Ok, long enough ramble. Back to your hooks and yarn now :) I want to see more flannelghans!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. Well, I've got to update the post I put up earlier. My FIL will never get to see his blanket. He passed last night or this morning. We got the call at about 9, I think. We're heading out to OK. I'll be gone until the 30th, Jim for who knows. I should have some periodic access to the 'Ville, but no promises. Please, hug your family, you don't get to keep them forever.

Addey,

Words cannot express how we feel at this moment.

I'm sure I echo the thoughts of all of us here in that we feel like an extended part of your family. Lots of hugs from your friends here at the 'ville.

:hug x ∞

Thanks guys. Haven't been online really... Just long enough to check the email. (Three of us trying to share one connection... even though I have my laptop, there's only one DSL line and no router...)

Things are going as well as can be expected. The funeral is tomorrow. It's going to be a rough day. Today would have been my FIL's 74th birthday. That made things a little tough.

It's kinda odd. When we got here, we gave my MIL her blanket and dad's. His got set across the back of one of the kitchen chairs and has stayed there since. It's almost as if it is 'his' chair. She loves the one I made her and has been sleeping with it the last few nights.

Thanks again for all the hugs. I've needed them. :hug

This is so weird but every time I see a pic of my Lumberjack at my photobucket account, I miss it.

Maybe I should just make my son another one in two greens. (The blues were a bit of a problem :eek ) I have a light pine green and a dark pine green. The difference in colour isn't great but I have liked the subtle ones we have seen here...oh dear. Another WIP :sigh

I have almost one panel of my steelers lumberjack ghan done. It's going to be over 6 1/2 feet long! which is good I guess cause my mom has a king size water bed and my step father is a little over 6 ft tall! wish me luck on this it's taking longer than I expected.

This afgan is awesome...I am going to try this...but I don't understand something...please bear with me...I am new to crocheting.

In the first 13 rows you hold 2 blue together..that I understand but then in rows 14 through 26 you hold a blue and orange together...how do you do that without having to tie off each block?

You continue with 1 strand of blue. you cut the 2nd strand of blue and add the orange.

Don't you need to tie it off or anything? And then how do you weave in the orange? I don't mean to sound like a dumb bunny but I am really new to crocheting. I love this afgan and really want to make it but it look hard.

Basically, this ghan is made from 2 strands. It also incorporates color changes. I don't have the links off hand but there are some great tutorials for changing colors on the ends (and midrow - which you don't do in this afghan.)

You can either tie it off or weave it in. I would suggest to tie off with a knot so it doesn't slip later. Then add in the orange and keep going.

Here's what I do...

I drop one of the blue strands and pick up the orange (wrap it around my hook) when I'm about to finish my last DC... that is, the last two loops I pull through are 1 orange and one blue. When you change colors, you really need to leave at least 6-8 inches hanging of each color so that way it doesn't all come undone. By finishing the last stitch with the color change, you somewhat knot it in. I then hold the two ends across the top of the row, and work around them when I'm going through the loops. (I hate weaving in ends when I'm done... it's easier to cover them as I go.) I do leave an inch or two hanging out and then work them in back the way I came or down the rows so they don't work out.

Like Rose said, there are plenty of good tutorials out there, I just don't have any links. This is a great pattern to practice color changes on, since you do one every block.

Addey - are you saying that yo umake each strip with 3 strands and you crochet over 2 as you go?

And I thought I was bad about hating to weave in ends lol.

Email me when you get a chance and tell me how you're doing. Sending good thoughts and prayers towards ya everyday. hun.

No, I only use 2 at a time, and don't cary any with me.... I try really hard to only cut the same 'blue' each time... but work over the two loose ends until the end of the first row of the color change. always have done it that way. I guess I'm just not explaining myself right :lol nothing new there :P

No, I only use 2 at a time, and don't cary any with me.... I try really hard to only cut the same 'blue' each time... but work over the two loose ends until the end of the first row of the color change. :P

I do that too. It helps when you are working with one smaller ball and need to control how far it will go :eek

:wlol

Hello Everyone!

All of your afghans look great:clap .

I just finished my strips and now I have to hide all the ends and sew them together.

th_Flannelghan.jpg

Hello Everyone!

All of your afghans look great:clap .

I just finished my strips and now I have to hide all the ends and sew them together.

th_Flannelghan.jpg

That is just wonderful. I love those colours. thank you for showing this one. :c9

Archived