Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Smileyface...yours looks great, too! I really like those colors.

Here's an updated photo of mine.

afghan2-1.jpg

I'm glad it's finally gotten big enough to where I can use the colors for a 2nd time without them being too close to the other ones.

Here's a close-up of the joining I've worked on this afternoon.

joining.jpg

The one at the bottom (between the brown & white) was an "invisible seam" and is the one I prefer of the two that I tried. The one between the maroon & white is an overcast stitch and I like that it went a lot faster but I think it shows up more...yet it seems like the brown/white edge is a little more distorted (not as straight) from the seam.

What do you all think? I'm waiting for your feedback before I continue, so please let me know! Thanks!

I would love to join this CAL. Rose....I love that pattern. I'm thinking of doing one for my Dad in John Deere colors for either his birthday or Christmas (depending on when I get it done....lol). I have three other afghans in the works right now, but apparently so does everyone else. So I will say I'm joining up, but it could be awhile until I get to it. Thanks for the pattern.

Croshay -- your afghan is beautiful so far. I can see why your DH wants to keep it for himself!!

Croshay -- yeah, I have pretty much given up on that afghan. I love the patterns, but I was trying to make it out of scrap yarn. It was getting to be a pain trying to figure out the gauge and what size hook to use and so on. So I'm working on my other things now. Someday I will be all caught up........

Tamugrad, I remember having trouble with squares/hooks/gauge when making that afghan also. I kept having to switch hooks & starting all over on squares. It was really frustrating. I was working on it with a friend who had the same problem. I think it's a problem with a lot of the patterns. If I ever make an afghan of squares again, I will use squares that I've made before, that I know I like, and where I know they'll all work up the same size.

And speaking of changing patterns (as I usually do)......if/when I make this flannelghan again....I'm gonna make it one piece. I had forgotten how much I hate sewing the pieces together! :irk

Sprtsbear, I'm not getting this... how are you going to make the 4 colours make this afghan? I can't see how to do it??? My brain went on vacation this morning... that might explain it all :wlol

Darski - I think that people are just using the pic and pattern to create their own version of their favorite flannel.

I'm new here - I asked once before but no one answered me :( if the purpose of a CAL is to make the exact same thing?

I really love seeing everyone's creativity in action. It's totally blowing my mind that so many people would want to make one of my patterns!!!!!!!!! I love that I'm not alone - I'm not the only one that see's a pattern and says "What can I do to make this mine?!?"

Should we re-title the thread Personalize This Pattern CAL? This is a serious question - If I get more yes answers then we can start another thread and when we're done making this pattern - we can post another one! (My brain's jumping ahead of my fingers at the moment.)

Please, let me know what you guys think.

Good morning ladies,

Croshay - I like the overcast stitch better. I think it came out much more evenly. I also don't think that anyone else would notice since the colors are varigated.

Are you supposed to have a row of white between the squares of the 2 strips? or is that just the way the other stitching technique came out?

I WANT PICS!!!!! I'd love to see what everyone's working on and finishing up! I'll post one of my round ripple when I get the orange done - I had a GREAT idea (because I saw a picture and I'm going to use the basic idea and totally change it to make it mine LOL)

Colour me an old fuddy-duddy but I would have preferred that we all be making the same pattern - we choose our two colours but make what you made since you were kind enough to share your pattern.

If you guys are going to make something else. that is ok and I can make mine without a CAL now that I have seen Rose's original.

Mornin Everyone! :)

RoseRed can't wait to see the round ripple. I am working on pannel 3 today of the afghan. Can't wait to see it all done. I'm glad several are jumping in with us, it really is a fun afghan to make. It works up quickly. You feel like you have made significant progress in just a short time, love it! As far as the name of the thread, it doesn't matter to me. I think RoseRed has it right in saying that every afghan is going to be different and should be. Everyone's taste and ideas are different, that is what makes this so fun, i too love to see the pic's of other afghans. So whatever your interpretation is of the afghan, go for it! :)

Rose, I think it's great that we're all doing our own variations. It lets us use our own creativity, while inspiring others to do the same. We can get great ideas from each other this way! :yay I think the CAL (and the name of it) are just fine the way they are.

Rose, you asked if there was supposed to be a row of white between my squares. No, there's not. I just hadn't pulled the squares together just right and that's why it looked like an extra row of white there. I fixed that when I worked on my ghan last night.

I also used your idea of tying the squares together at the corners (and I did it in the middle of the squares also) and that's going to be a great help. I hadn't even thought of doing that, so thanks for the idea!

Just a quick note to say that I am leaving this CAL because I am taking an hiatus from crochet for a bit. I have some knitting obligations that I have to give time to . Y'all have fun with whatever you are doing. :ghug

Darski - I hate to see you go. I do hope you reconsider. I'll be making the flannel and I know that smileyface is. If you still wanted to make a smaller version of it then - Personalize This Pattern - is the perfect place for it!

Threads have a way of taking on a life of their own.

Maybe - and let me know what ya'll think - when we're finished with the flannelghan we can pick another pattern to personalize and we can all show off our projects and creativity!

~RR~

Archived