Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

2 strand Lumberjack Flannel Afghan

post-10150-135897611908_thumb.jpg

Size - 4 1/2 ft x 6 ft

Materials - 2 colors WW yarn - 5-7 pounds, 10 mm/N hook

Gauge - Each strip is 7 blocks of color long.

10" across = 17dc

10" up&down = 13 rows

NOTES: Afghan is made holding 2 strands of yarn together

Afghan is made of 5 strips whipstitched together with a border crocheted around it.

- You can make the afghan larger/smaller by adjusting the size of the squares.

Directions -

Strip 1 - make 3

ch 19, dc in 4th ch from hook,

Rows 1 - 13 - 2 strands blue dc across - (17dc)

Rows 14 - 26 - 1 strand blue, 1 strand orange - dc across

continue alternating colors until strip measures 7 colors blocks long. tie off.

Strip 2 - make 2

Block 1 - varigated

Block 2 - orange

continue alternating colors until strip measures 7 colors blocks long. tie off.

Joining - Whipstitch strips together.

- It may be simpler to sc a round around the strip prior to sewing strips.

- If you tie the corners of the blocks together before you begin stitching it will help keep the rows in line)

-Refer to pic for color placement.

Border -

Round1 - in blue - hdc in each st on top and bottom.

2hdc in each st along the sides. (The dc is a tall stitch so it takes 2 stitches in each for the border)

Corner shell - hdc,ch1, hdc in each corner

R 2 - in white - *V-st (dc,ch1,dc), skip next 2 stiches* repeat around entire afghan.

Corners - Vst, ch1, Vst

R 3-4 - in blue - dc in each st around

Corners - dc,ch1,dc

R 5 - reverse sc (crabstitch) around

or sc around depending on skill level

Copyright 2007

All rights Reserved. For personal and private use only.

Items are never to be sold on the internet.

Alternate Joining Method

For those of you who just cannot stand the thought of whipstitching this together busy-bee-lmt posted a picture TUT on how to attach the strips as you go. It's image intensive and clearly detailed. You'll need to decide before you begin your 2nd strip if you want to use this joining method. Post 1835 http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2015994&postcount=1835

(Big huge thank you to joules for finding this post!)

Flannelghan Hall of Fame

RoseRed ~ Post #1 ~ blue/orange

RoseRed ~ Post 111 ~

red/black

smileyface ~ Post 136 ~ black/blue

Croshay ~ Post 172 ~ multicolored

smileyface ~ Post 221 ~ red/black

Addey ~ Post 252 ~ mint green/navy

amalin06 ~ Post 266 ~ red/black

Mrs CrochetPants ~ Post 276 ~ sherbet

RoseRed ~ Post 286 ~ Jimbo's red/navy

jolleyrancher418 ~ Post 293 ~ teal/cream

YarnBox ~ Post 300 ~ black/white

strebekah ~ Post 330 ~ blue/orange

jelepe75 ~ Post 347 ~ Scooby Inspired

jelepe75 ~ Post 347 ~

black/blue

JCB ~ Post 381 ~

black/cream

LeslieG ~post 416 ~ Harley orange/black

Morrigan1974 ~post 680 ~ amethyst/soft white

rlanto ~ Post 758 ~ lilac/natural

CrochetDad ~Post 785 ~ light sage/lavender

SueS ~ off cal ~

Rococo/French Provincial (beige tones)

darski ~ post 850 - navy/lt blue & pink/white

Addey ~ Post 908 ~

OU colors burgundy/cream

klutzandme ~Post924 ~ Chicago Bears colors

Minerva 76 ~ Post 955 ~ dark plum/white

awmn ~ Post 1039 ~ red/black

darski ~ Post 1050 ~ plum/white (Dora sized)

uboo64 ~ Post 1054 ~ Burgundy/Hunter Green for Christmas

Patty K ~ Post 1126 ~ beige/cream

JulieY ~ Post 1170 ~ lt blue/black

esiepiela ~ offsite ~ lt blue/white

Mrs Crochet Pants ~ Post 1189 ~ lt sage/claret

scullybubble ~ Post 1193 ~ navy/white

Addey (again) ~ Post 1203 ~ lemon/mint

esiepiela ~ offsite ~ rose/azure blue

Clearwaters - Post 1261 ~ beige on beige

sculleybubbles ~ Post1278 ~ Steelers yellow/black

Midds ~ Post 1286~ bright pink & orange

-Mimi_ ~ Post 1295 ~ orange/off white

tris4crochet ~ 1308 ~ espresso/cream

john's ghan post? blue/vari

lisamartinez post? black/white

amyquilt ~post 1318 blue/orange

angelfire ~Post 1320 ~ vari/rust

astitchintime ~ Post 1773 ~ warm brown/moss heather

People have continued to post pics in the thread after post 1773. I have chosen to not continue linking to these posts - it's getting to be a long list. Please feel free to continue browsing thru this thread to see more pictures.

post-10150-135897611774_thumb.jpg

post-10150-135897611906_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really love your afghan. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern.

I just started another afghan so I can't join in this CAL right now, but will keep checking in and if I finish the other one and my fingers don't drop off (I'm used to doing small projects like hats and bags) I may join in.

Joan

My version of this afghan doesn't look a thing like RoseRed's. I started making it after seeing her picture, but I just sorta made up my own pattern. I'm doing it in strips like hers, but I'm doing mine in sc's. (I wish I'd thought to do it in dc's cuz then it would go even faster!) I do like the pattern and it works up really fast....AND it's extra thick and warm!

I'm using 2 strands of Red Heart super saver yarn and an M hook. If I make this again, I'll go up a size or 2 in hooks, just in case that helps anybody out. It's really warm & I like it a lot, but it could be just a little bit looser/softer, so that's why I'd go up on the hook size. It works up fast and goes thru a lot of yarn fast! I started out with 5 skeins of soft white and then 1-2 skeins each of several other colors. I've already used about 3 full skeins of the soft white, and I'm only on the third strip.

My version has a soft white block for every other color block (using 2 strands of soft white), and it's like a checkerboard design with various colors (using 1 strand of a color and 1 strand of soft white). I know that's not a very good description, but here's a link to a photo. http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w290/GonnaBaCMA/afghan.jpg

My husband loves this afghan and told me the other day to not get any crazy ideas about giving it away because he wants to keep it for himself!

Question for those who have sewn strips together: How did you do this? Just whipstitch them together? This will show up a lot, won't it?

very nice work both of ya'll.

I wonder if this couldn't be done using an afghan hook (aka Tunisian hook) and then you'd have either no joins, or fewer ones.

Here's a link to the post

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=612898#post612898

Here's the links from the post:

Here's an great link with AWESOME pics

http://www.knittingfairy.com/techniques3.htm

Good pics for tighter stitches

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/joining.html

my google page

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...&btnG=Sear ch

Hope these help!

Sorry, but those sites didn't get it for me. One was for knitted pieces, and the other was for sewing squares together, which is different than working up the sides of long strips.

I found another tutorial at http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/joining_squares.htm

This one has some helpful information, and I think I'm going to try the mattress stitch a.k.a. invisible weaving. The pictures for this version aren't the best, but I'll let you all know what I find out.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/joining_squares.htm

Here's another one with a little better picture for this particular method.

http://www.crochet911.com/crochet911.html

Croshay, maybe you should start a CAL with your ghan as it looks like a completely different blankie.

I was just reading a post last night where someone discussed the technique of sewing squares together TBL's that really seemed to take care of differing colours coming together. If I find it, I will post the link back.

Rose, thanks for the helpful links. I'm afraid that my all time fave *sc* joining would not work for this :sigh

A rose is a rose and a whipstitch is a whipstitch. Whether it's sewing blocks or knitted stitches or peices of fabric together it's still the same stitch. The only difference between sewing strips and sewing blocks is that strips are longer.

I thought that being able to see the stitch done would help. I did this up for smileyface so she could see what I was trying to explain. I used the yellow to tie the corners of the blocks together to keep everything lined up and then I used the red to show the whipstitch. In real life I would've used the gray to sew them together.

PC180026.jpg

Is the purpose of the CAL to make the exact same thing? The way I feel is that if someone can take my base pattern and turn it into something they love then I'm very happy about it. And I LUV pics!

I almost never make the same thing twice. I always change something.

The blanket I'm going to make for my daughter may either have smaller squares or a three color flannel (a row of white sc between the colored blocks and a round of sc when the strip is finished) The ghan will be red and black.

I love seeing everyone's interpretations of how they can change a pattern and make it more 'them'. I'd hate to see Croshay leave - I've been emailing her back and forth every day helping her out and seeing her progress. We even figured out what she was doing so we could get her pics online.

I'm in yarndiva's CA: for the Starghan - except I made mine with 8 points. After being at the 'ville for a while - maybe I should've joined the round ripple cal but yarndiva didn't want me to leave and I love seeing everyone's progress. You can see the 3 I'm in the middle of making on page 3 http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42004

The more the merrier!:c9 <---- is that a cloud or a blankie?

All told! I'll be joining in the cAL as soon as I get my moms b-day afghan finished. I'll be able to give more accurate amounts.

Great! I was wondering about amounts of yarn also!

The 'ghan I'm working on now is coming together faster than I thought, so I may be joining in on this CAL!

Joan

The afghan weighed in between 5 and 7 pounds. That was the closest I could get standing on the scale holding the stupid blanket cuz I forgot to count the skeins. (You can picture this - right?)

I just bought 5 pounds of Mainstays red and I have 2 or 3 pounds of black at home already. (My sweetie bear loves black and white together) So - I should have enough of the red to finish my mom's afghan and do Amber's.

This one takes a lot of yarn but it's also 6 feet long!

Rose, sorry if that came across wrong. Sewing these strips just seems different to me than putting squares together. When I've made afghans with squares, I've always sewn the squares together thru the back loops, but with these strips, there ARE no back loops...so I guess I just can't quite picture it in my silly mind . :think I'm a hands-on learner & I have to do it myself before it clicks sometimes. I just need to sit down with it & figure it out when I have time.

I had hoped to start sewing strips together today, but I have a sick toddler, so I haven't done much of anything except sit and watch Barney over and over and over and...well you get the point! :lol

Rose, sorry if that came across wrong. Sewing these strips just seems different to me than putting squares together. When I've made afghans with squares, I've always sewn the squares together thru the back loops, but with these strips, there ARE no back loops...so I guess I just can't quite picture it in my silly mind . :think I'm a hands-on learner & I have to do it myself before it clicks sometimes. I just need to sit down with it & figure it out when I have time.

I had hoped to start sewing strips together today, but I have a sick toddler, so I haven't done much of anything except sit and watch Barney over and over and over and...well you get the point! :lol

I was thinking about the dilemma of sewing the strips together. What if you did a row of single crochets down each long side, changing colors when the strip changes? I don't think it would add much in width.. you could probably even just slip stitch a border?

Would that help?

Joan

I was thinking about the dilemma of sewing the strips together. What if you did a row of single crochets down each long side, changing colors when the strip changes? I don't think it would add much in width.. you could probably even just slip stitch a border?

Would that help?

Joan

:hook:hug I think it would help a lot! :hook:yay:clap:cheer

I was thinking about adding a 3rd color - sc between the blocks and a sc around. Darski thinks (and she's right) that it would ruin the 'Lumberjack' part of the flannel. Lumberjack is MY favorite print but this one's for my DD so I'll do it the way she wants.

Thanks for the great idea! Would you mind if I added that to the pattern?

Since everyone is busy finishing up other things - how about posting pics of the WIP's we're working on?!?

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

ReverseRainbow8pStar56in-1.jpg

Reverse Rainbow 8 Point Round Ripple for Mom's birthday - Feb 5

56 inches and counting. 1/2 the yellow, the orange and then (finally) the red to go.

I was thinking about adding a 3rd color - sc between the blocks and a sc around. Darski thinks (and she's right) that it would ruin the 'Lumberjack' part of the flannel. Lumberjack is MY favorite print but this one's for my DD so I'll do it the way she wants.

Thanks for the great idea! Would you mind if I added that to the pattern?

Feel free to add it. Glad my suggestion helped!

I also think adding another color at the join would mar the nice lumberjack feel. I like the white you put around the border... just sort of punches up the other colors.

Joan

Archived