Lumberjack Flannelghan CAL / finished ghans in Post 1

RoseRed

I'm really not too concerned about the shrinkage - I usually find that on a 6 ft ghan the RH shrinks about 2 1/2-3 inches.

The Mainstays is much thinner - it's closer to Caron SS - so the 6" shrinkage didn't really surprize me. I used 2 strands and an N hook with a thinner yarn.

If anyone is worried about weight I would totally suggest doing it with the new Mainstays. It's just an AWESOME yarn to work with and there's a LOT of yarn in a pounder!

I'm really hoping that it takes off so that I can stock up on it and forget about Redheart. I'm totally hooked on the New Mainstays!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I am at a stand still on my flannel ghan. I got 4 stips done and then when starting on my 5th strip I realized that the Soft Navy that I am using is not even close to the same color! This is supposed to be no dye lot Red Heart SS Soft Navy. I am so peeved right now because I had hoped to finish it up tonight. Anyone else ever came across this same problem? I mean it's not even close. The stuff that is different seems closer to black than anything else. Now I just wish I had paid a little closer attention when I bought it!

How much is the pound skein at Walmart? Is it sort of thin like Caron Simply Soft?

Thanks!

Joan

My Walmart has it for $3.97. I personally like the New Mainstays much better than the older stuff they used to carry.

smileyface - I can't post a pic of the border - I raffled off that blanket :(

for the v stitch you could do either one of these:

~ dc in each dc and space

~ 3 dc in each space

try out both and se which one you like better

ps - it's good to have you back!

Smileyface--I love those blues!!

I have the yarn for this--just need to find time between homeschooling, housecleaning, cooking and all that good stuff to get started! LOL

I am doing orange and blue for my Florida Gator lovin' hubby! LOL

MrsCrochetPants, I think the turquoise & white will be great! I bought turquoise & black & hubby decided it wasn't colorful enough for him, so I've put my 2nd flannel ghan on the back burner for now. Actually, I need to finish my 1st one anyway. :lol

Smileyface, glad to see you back, and thanks for the compliment! Your afghan turned out GREAT! Isn't it funny how we've all enjoyed making these so much that we're starting on 2nd ones?!

Around74, I think your cream & brown will also be great. I hope you can post pictures for us to see.

Wow...I love the $3.97 per pound price of the Mainstays! I've never used that before but I'll definitely try it out when YARN is back in the budget!

mainstays is nice and it gives my blankie a good texture, the caron pounders are kinda thick and rough at first but this is soft and thinner than other WW's i've used, i really like it. plus it's pretty cheap $$$ more money saved for more yarn!! wooohooo

I forgot to add that some of my Red Heart "soft white" is a darker shade. If you look closely at the strip at the bottom of the picture, the soft white is a little bit darker. The original strips I did, I used the same yarn - Red Heart soft white - that I had bought who-knows-when...and the last strips I did, I used NEW Red Heart soft white & apparently they've changed the color a bit. I didn't notice it until sewing the strips together last night...but I'm NOT going back & changing it at this point. Hubby said it adds character! :lol What do you guys think?

Thanks, Smileyface! Your compliment gave ME a smiley face! :lol

I haven't decided yet about the border. I thought about doing some sc rounds in soft white & some rounds in soft white with another color (like one of the squares), probably one or two of the shades of blue. Either way, I'll probably do all sc's around since I did the whole afghan in sc's.

How does that sound?

Archived