Can you felt with less than 100% wool?

Jakswalk

I have some yarn that is 85% and I wanted to try that. I guess I'm going to have to find some 100% wool online.

I've never really paid attention to the type of yarn that I was using unless it was thick or thin.....soft or course. Anyway, I'm learning after getting on here, to be a bit more selective.

Yes! You can felt with yarn that is, oh, at least more than half wool. That is, if it isn't "superwashed" wool.

Your best bet is to crochet up a swatch, and felt it. Unless it's treated it will felt, but this will tell you how much it will felt with what conditions :U

If you hold wool and another yarn - like a strand of funfur - you can felt the wool and it will shrink right around the other yarn, making it denser. It's a neat effect.

I checked last night and it's actually on 35% wool, but it's intertwined with the ribbon, kind of like you were saying Kate. I decided to go ahead and make it and see what happens. I'm making a bag to carry my crochet around in. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Archived