Fishnet Stockings

MindyJedi

I finished the fishnet stockings that were inspired by Crochet Socks!, but I am a little disappointed in the result. I purchased the yarn at a garage sale, it is superwash sockweight wool, and I can get no more! The stockings are not as long as I had hoped. I wanted to wear them with a garter belt, but now I need to think of some other way to hold them up, as no garter belt in the world is long enough to reach them. I am open to suggestions. But, they did turn out pretty, and I have a second pair, with twice as much yarn at-the-ready, on the hook. This time in black sockweight cotton-polyamid blend.

You can see the disappointing ones here:

th_greyfishnetsocks_00.jpg

These were started at the toe, and used the short-row shaping technique explained in Crochet Socks! for the heel. TOO EASY!!

Mindy

Mindy, I think your stockings are really pretty. I think you did a good job to:yes

You can still wear the stockings with the garter when you wear a long skirt.

I would go and wear them any ways you would stat a new fashion trend. Ha. :lol

I think they're great too!

Since the garter won't reach them -- or might look funny if it did -- perhaps you can craft some sort of "extension" - a pretty crocheted 'tie' that would go up to where the garter reaches... Having trouble exlaining myself, but if you can picture that....:think

I have thought of doing a pink band, maybe 7 or 8 inches, on the top. It would make them reach my garters, and make them more "romantic". But they look so sophisticated in grey. I may wait till I have the black ones finished and see if there is enough left over for a black band. Till then, I think I'll run a silver ribbon through the top row and tie them on, just above the knee. It may look old fashioned, but that's good, right?

I think old-fashioned is awesome! I wear bloomers with lace that goes to just below my knees and peaks out from under my assymetrical skirts!

And I LOVE the combo of gray and pink or black and pink, I think they look wonderful together!

I love the idea of running the ribbon through it but I think it might be hard to keep them up with only a ribbon if you do any actual moving around. My experience has been that it's hard to keep things tied on with a ribbon if the ribbon isn't above a wider body part or being held in place by something else. By which I mean, you can tie something around your waist with a ribbon and since your hips are wider than your waist, it won't fall down. And with an empire-style top, you can secure it under your bosom with a ribbon, but the brunt of actually holding up the top is borne by your shoulders, not the ribbon. Anyway, knees are skinnier than thighs, so you may have to tie it REALLY tight to hold them up.

Can you weave some thin elastic through them at the top? I know that the elastic in commercial thigh-highs is often way too tight but it seems like since you control how much elastic is used, you can make them stay on snugly without choking. I don't know if it would ruin the visual of the top of the stocking, though -- maybe weave a few pieces of very thin elastic through it instead of a big wide band? Or can you elasticize the ribbon somehow? Or put in the elastic that you need to make them stay on securely and hide it with a ribbon?

I could be completely nuts about whether this would look OK, but I can't get past thinking that a ribbon by itself might shake itself loose after you walk a bit.

Thanks for trying to follow my thoughts; this wasn't a model of clarity.

--Elissa

The elastic idea is a good one. I'm studying the socks now, and since they aren't a true fish-net pattern stitch, the elastic may work. They are actually a dc V-stitch. I could use the last three rows, run thin elastic through the stitches, that would hold them up. I could run the ribbon with the elastic to hide it and give it extra hold. That is one definitely good idea.

However, I weighed the socks on a kitchen scale and I have more than twice that ammount in the black yarn, and the pattern I'm using is more lacy. I think I'll go with the band of black to reach the garters.

I won't be done with the black ones by Valentines day, though. I'll try the ribbon and elastic for that night. Sitting for dinner is all I'll do before I have to take them off, anyway.

this is me remembering my great grandma, but what she did would buy the stockings and she had an elastic that she pulled on over the top of the hose and them folded over a small lip sp they stayed in place. worked for her for im not sure how many years it was until they came up with stay up hose

You could use mens sock garters or shirt stays if you wear a shirt and skirt combo. I was in the Navy and to keep our shirts tucked in tightly some of us used shirt stays. They are elastic with a grip on both ends one hooks to the shirt tail and one to the sock. You need 2 and they run down the back of the legs. Of couse you wouldn't want them showing and it can hurt if they slip off!:eek Same with the sock garters though, you want them covered too.

I have thought of doing a pink band, maybe 7 or 8 inches, on the top. It would make them reach my garters, and make them more "romantic". But they look so sophisticated in grey. I may wait till I have the black ones finished and see if there is enough left over for a black band. Till then, I think I'll run a silver ribbon through the top row and tie them on, just above the knee. It may look old fashioned, but that's good, right?

I would do this with the pink. pink and gray go great together. And no one would see the pink under a skirt. So you still have the sophistication with a little pink secret underneath!! Anyways i love them and I am on my way to making a pair!!!!

Ya, I too was going to say just cut some elastic, the type used in waistbands for pull-on pants that you can get at Walmart or any place that sells sewing supplies, sew the ends together & put it over the top of them to hold them up when wearing a longer skirt that goes below the tops of the stockings, eh??

I LUV 'em! I sure could use a pair here at work as the office is a tad chilly these days & they'd do the job I'm sure to help keep my legs warm 'nuf.

Smiles, Louise

"Crochet Socks must be the title of a book/booklet since it's underlined?"

Yes, Crochet Socks! is a book that I bought at Michael's Art Store. These stockings are NOT in the book, but the book inspired them. On page 23 is a pattern called "Fancy Cuffs" that I made. I realized that any type of a pattern stitch could be used to make the foot and leg of the sock and just improvised from there. I used my gauge from the foot to figure out how many stitches I would need for my calf and increased up the back of the leg. Once you have made one sock, you'll realize how easy they are and start improvising your own.

Also, a big thank you for all the suggestions on how to keep them up. I can have several pairs of stockings, all held up in a different way. You guys are awesome!

Archived