STASH BUSTING crochet-along GAME!! ****CLOSED FOR 2007 ****

Krystal16

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the compliments!! i'm really liking the pattern since it works up so fast and easy (all except those pesky ends, but i'm even getting better at those)

Wow Jessica, that stained glass afghan is gorgeous. Where did you get that pattern? I would love to make something like this.

There is a CAL for the stain glass afghan, but I think there are only 4 or 5 of us still doing it. You can search through the pages there for lots of awesome pictures.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=683556#post683556

The basic idea is to make long strips, its a great stash busting thing cause you can use pieces as small as... 21 yards is what it said i think. I'm using up a bunch of skeins that I only have one of and thought id never find anything to use them on.

For my variation of this afghan i'm doing 31 DC wide, chaning colors as randomly as possible, and inbetween the color changes, do two rows of black. I like the DC better than the stitch the patter calls for, its tighter (so probably uses more yarn and need scraps longer than 21 yards... but i like it) It very warm and heavy

before the black boarder my pieces are 79'' long and 11'' wide, then dc one row of black around the whole outside of each panel.

I think I will give you all a heads up...

I was so distressed (yeah, right, distressed, that's the ticket) that I did all that crocheting since Sunday and didn't get one single point that I decided to start another multi-strand afghan! This time it's only two and it's going to be a rectangle granny pattern - and do you know that I only started it this afternoon and already I have cleared 4 balls???

Now THAT is what I am talking about! That is how this game is done!!!

Ok who wants to hear some really really bad news????? No one died and no one is sick (except me) I took an inventory tonight of my yarn (seeing it was scattered and hubby said clean this up!

I have 20 skeins left and 14 scrap balls!!!!

WHAT!!!!! I am feeling withdrawl!!!!

Next week my totals will stink since my birthday is thursday and I am so sure my loved ones will buy me/send me yarn!

This stash bustin game has been good for me!!!

PS Hubby said isnt there any LYS having a sale or are you quitting crocheting (like taht will ever happen)

20 skeins?? :eek

Hmmm... wonder if I can unload some of this -400+ somewhere :devil

I have been plugging away on DS#2's 2 strand uglyghan... have used 1 full & 18 partials so far... +20! :woo

Since Sunday night I have used 4 balls of yarn. So that's 4 points yay!:cheer

and I don't need to buy any yarn so that's another :cheerGoing to change

my score now.:clap

Man, only 20 skeins!!! Jimmie Lu, I am horribly jealous!!!

I finished a scarf. So, there goes a skein. I also finished a skein for my wine bottle outfit. So, another +2. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more. I have a lot of paper writing to finish this week for grad school. So, not sure I'll pull myself out of the red!!!

I just won an ebay auction (actually, 3 from the same seller) that I seriously underbid. I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 skeins. I'll take that hit when it comes.. ;)

Krystal, I don't think you have a stash addiction, I think you have an "eBay" addiction! :lol

KnicKnac - no, it's definitely the yarn! I had an email alert let mek now when there was yarn up for sale in my area (cheaper parcel post) and I'd look at it and ooooh and aaaaaah...

But you'd be proud of me... I disabled the alert! If it doesn't come to my inbox, I won't go looking for it! LOL!

But you'd be proud of me... I disabled the alert! If it doesn't come to my inbox, I won't go looking for it! LOL!

WOOT! Good for you Krystal! The first step is admitting you had a problem! Oh yeah, here are the steps! :lol

THE TWELVE STEPS OF STASHAHOLICS ANONYMOUS:

1. I admit I am powerless over yarn — My stash has become unmanageable.
  2. I have come to believe that there is a power greater than me that can restore my sanity, and that is the Stashbusting Thread at Crochetville.
  3. I have made a decision to turn my yarn over to the care of this greater power.
  4. I have made a search and inventory of all of my yarn.
  5. I have admitted to ALL OF CROCHETVILLE the the exact nature of my wrongdoing, which is the hoarding of yarn.
  6. I am entirely ready to make sure that the Stashbusting Thread at Crochetville removes this horrible character defect of hoarding yarn.
  7. I humbly ask those at CROCHETVILLE to help me remove this shortcoming.
  8. I have made a list of all persons and animals that I have harmed because of this addiction, and I am willing to make amends to them all.
  9. I have made direct amends to such people and animals wherever possible except if it would cause more injury to them.
  10. I will continue to take inventory of my yarn, and promptly admit when I start hoarding yarn again.
  11. I will seek help thru the Stashbusting Thread at Crochetville to help carry out my goal of becoming STASH FREE.
  12. I have had an awakening of sorts as result of the previous steps and I will try to carry this message to other StashAholics out there and to continue to practice these principles in my daily affairs.

I mean no offense by the above. Please be aware that I have been thru Al-Anon on four seperate occasions due to addicitons in my siblings, so I don't make light of the 12 step program whatsoever, I know it works. I am just having a little fun. I don't really believe that hoarding yarn is an addiction - well it can be, but not in this context.

Maybe you should give youself half a point???? :D :D :D

As for me...I am gifting a ton of yarn this week. 32 points worth. I also completed 3 little doilies today for a total of +3 more points. Yay!!! I can hardly believe that I was able to actually bust some thread stash in a timely fashion. You know those balls of thread that you have a tiny amount left over? Well, I just can't seem to throw them away. (weird, huh???) They take up so much room too. I don't feel like winding them into little balls and so the big cardboard rolls all have less than 100 yds of thread on them. YIKES!!!

And in case anyone is interested, I finally finished that scrapghan. Details are on my blog.

4368resized.jpg

Its bright...its colorful...its warm and that sucker got me about a kajillion points. (and boy am I glad its finally done!!!!)

-----------

Congrats, Anna! I may just do the same thing you've done, and make a giant granny with my gazillion scraps.

KK, I'm also feeling your pain: I've done tons of crocheting, and I still haven't earned a single point from it all! I have a 1 pound cone of Peaches N Cream that's going to take forever (I did just make a FBB from it, though). And of course, there's all that thread I need to bust.

Wow, Jimmie Lu - I'd feel naked with only 20 skeins... :eek

-----------

So would I! But with all the yarn I have, I'm in no danger of that happening anytime soon, so we're all safe from my nakedness! :lol

Knic Knac - #4 had me laughing!!! TOOOOOO funny!

I am cruising my way through a 1 pounder! I will see by the end of tonight whether I get 1 point for bringing it to a ball, or 2 points for finishing off the whole thing. :D

I've been making grannie's daughters with the little bits if I have them when I'm done. Of course, I've only got about 10 GD's, but I don't want that little ball hanging around costing me points! LOL!

If it's any help, the yarn that I bought off of Ebay goes completely with yarns that I already have bagged up to make afghans. I only bought ones the I KNEW belonged with other colors to fill out a whole afghan.

I'm feeling sort of creative lately, and I'm thinking of designing my own afghans...

I've noticed a lack of patterns for afghans that use coordinating colors, but where you only have 1 skein of each color... I don't want a SCRAP ghan so to speak, and I don't have enough in each coordinating bag to do a 2 or 3 strand. So, I'm thinking after this afhan, after the comfortghans, after my daughter's poncho (points buster there... ), THEN I will work on this.. I hope!

Today's tally....-10....birthday gift skeins...Have busted thru one and got +2 back.

I really hate doing this pattern, even though its cute when finished. But instructions were written and printed for crap.

biz

Archived