Washing Red Heart Super Saver

astridz55

I have a bunch of Red Heart Super Saver yarn and I was going to see about making a scrap afghan. My only concern is that it is rough and not very soft. (I love Caron Simply Soft but I don't have enough of that to do an afghan.) Does the Red Heart get softer after it is washed? Somewhere I thought I heard something about that but I can't remember. Thanks!

:yes For me personally, when I wash RH it softens up just fine. I use liquid fabric softner and then pop in the dryer set on low heat/delicate with a dryer sheet. Softens right up.

I feel the same way. The RH does soften over time. Using fabric softener helps.

I think that we have all been spoiled with the "soft" yarns and that we have to give Red Heart another look. It's not a bad yarn. It is cheap, and you get a lot for your money.

I hope the project you make turns out just fine. And after a couple of washings, it should be soft and huggable.

:manyheart

I think that we have all been spoiled with the "soft" yarns and that we have to give Red Heart another look. It's not a bad yarn. It is cheap, and you get a lot for your money.

I totally agree...and since I am now on a very strict budget due to hubby's layoff - I will be using more and more RHSS...it's a great and durable yarn...I'm happy with it :D

Red Heart is about all that I do use. I have an afghan made in 1985 and it's still going strong! I don't use any fabric softener like the other girls do and it comes out soft. I also think depending on the dye - some colors are softer than others in the beginning. The Heathers were nice - not sure if they still make them or not.

Before I started using RH SS myself, I received an afghan from someone as a gift. Even though I had never made anything from SS myself, I could immediately tell this afghan was made from it because it was so rough! But I later read a post about washing the stuff, and decided I had nothing to lose! I washed it first, tossed it in the dryer on low heat with a dryer sheet, and "voila"! It is now soft and comfy and warm, just like an afghan should be! I now have no problem using RH SS for afghans!

So, I say, go for it! Make that scrapghan and enjoy it!

i wash mine in baby laundry soap (liquid all) and add fabric soft in rinse and pop in dryer with fabric sheet and comes out cuddle soft.:c9 i too love caron but budget wise lately have used redheart.this way even mainstays from wally world comes out soft

barby:yarn

I think there was another thread on the forum about washing Red Heart SS where they said you could put white vinegar in the rinse water to soften it up. I'm tempted to try it with some of my SS items...

I asked about RH SS in another post because of my budget I wanted to use it but it felt so rough! I used white vinegar in the first rinse cycle then put it in the dryer on low heat it is SOFT and Snuggly I made a sweater out of it and it is holding up well and washes nice :)

I asked about RH SS in another post because of my budget I wanted to use it but it felt so rough! I used white vinegar in the first rinse cycle then put it in the dryer on low heat it is SOFT and Snuggly I made a sweater out of it and it is holding up well and washes nice :)

So the vinegar worked! How much did you use in the rinse cycle?

Archived