Like Water For Chocolate

MindyJedi

The movie, Like Water for Chocolate, used crochet to show the depression of the main character. She crochets onto her blanket when she is upset over anything, and the thing grows to phenomenal size. It's full length is shown trailing out from a carriage and it is hilarious to see! It is a foreign film, translated from Spanish; They mistranslated her work as knitting but it is an obvious crochet, granny-square, afghan that she makes. This is a movie worth finding!

:yayI LOVE THIS MOVIE! :manyheart I noticed the incorrect translation also, but made myself excuse it.:lol I bought the DVD for my sister a few years ago. She had already seen it a few times and had commented on the "wedding sheet" so when I gave her the movie, I took a giant white hanky and cut a hole in it and surrounded the hole with some crochet trim and wrapped the movie in that. :heehee I also gave her a box of candy with it because she said watching it always makes her hungry. She said the scene with the mile-long afghan makes her think of me.:lol

I love this movie...it's beautiful, funny, sad, everything...and the afghan that goes on for miles is just something else...(that was one of my favorite parts of the movie...) That book that it's based on it wonderful!

The book is wonderful. It is written like a recipe book, that rambles on with a story. The movie more than does it justice. It is one of the best screen adaptations of a book that I have seen. But to be honest, I don't remember her crocheting, or even knitting, in the book. I remember when I saw the movie, though, that she should hold-on tight to the doctor: Any man who brings you yarn to cheer you up is a keeper!!

I just checked the book out of the library yesterday. It really is very close to the movie so far. When the afghan is first mentioned it said it would take her a year to crochet it. Then crochet was mentioned again, but the next two times the afghan is referred to it says it was knit. They seem to use knit as the past tense of crochet, like you might start to crochet and when you were done you would have knit a lovely afghan.:lol

I love this movie. It's in my top ten list along with Steel Magnolias and what not. Doesn't your heart just break for her? *sigh* My DH can't stand it though, he says movies are for watching, not reading. Funny guy he is :rofl

Well, there is an English dubbed version ... :devil

• 4 weeks later...

A glorious book, and a lovely movie.

I think the reason they mistranslated her crocheting as "knitting" is because of the different terminology: "tejer" can mean either. Depending on where you are in the Americas, you differentiate by calling knitting something like "tejer con agujas" or "tejer a tricot", and crochet something like "tejer a crochet" or "tejer a ganchillo".

Archived