I taught my first Leftie!!!

And it worked!!! :clap

Coming into class she told me that she'd tried to crochet but it looked awful and she just couldn't do it :( Well come to find out her mother had been trying to teach her to crochet RIGHT HANDED!! :eek No wonder she couldn't get it :lol So I had her mirror what I was doing (this was knitting by the way .. sshh :D ) and she picked it up VERY fast.. got all the way through the 4 basic steps and was started on her first project, a chunky wool scarf by the time she went home.

She was grinning ear to ear :D and so pleased!! I was thrilled that I had actually been able to help her and that it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be... and she's coming back for another class next week.. and then will probably come take the crochet class as well!!! :hook:manyheart

I tell ya... there's people to be touched out there with this fiber arts stuff... I love teaching them! :manyheart:yes:c9

I am a leftie and my mother was never able to teach me crochet...or so I thought...when I turned 30 I made a list of things I wanted to learn how to do. I learned right handed out of a book.:D

With knitting I think I just assumed there was no such thing as leftie.:think

Us lefties have learned to adapt to your rightie world:hook

lol oooh yes.. I was trying to say "no use ur rig..errr.... your left needle like this".. I think I made a few more wrinkles in my brain !! I definitely am going to learn to do both left handed, but the mirror image technique did work.. where I got confused was trying to correct something she'd done.. but it worked out, we had quite a few giggles and she left smiling.. so I felt wonderful about it :)

She wants to learn to crochet so she can go to family gatherings where they are all sitting and crocheting and do her own thing as well lol except left handed.. which is more natural for her. As fast as she picked up on the knitting I've no doubt she'll be brilliant with the crocheting as well :)

Being another south paw, I say congratualtions on your, and her, success.:clap:cheer

My mother also tried to teach me for years, to no avail. I've taught myself, and I'm not a confident crocheter, but I certainly enjoy it, and it gives my mother and me something else to talk about. It certainly isn't easy. I probably couldn't teach a rightie to do it either!

Congrats! Sounds like you did everything right! I have the opposite problem... a leftie teaching right-handed folks, and I always do the 'mirror-me' thing. Also if you get into the habit of using words other than 'right/left' with things like... next stitch, etc.it works for everyone.

Joan

WAY TO GO GIRL!!! Ready to teach some more???

I'm a lefty and a righty taught me. Actually I knew the basics until I got a kit with a hexagon pattern. I sat across from her with her hook and yarn - and....well.......the rest is hook history!! I can knit some - just left to right. Some things just end up being the opposite is all. I can read a pattern and picture it in my mind.

• 1 month later...

Hey I am a leftie and have been crocheting for years. Someone showed me the basic stitches when I was around 11 yrs. old and the rest I taught myself!

I also taught my sister-in-law how to crochet and she is a rightie! Crocheting is my passion!

Archived