Chrysanthemum Tea Shawl

Miss USA

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know, i was thinking the same thing. about buying the book that is. then i really got to thinking, "wait! its just a giant doily! duh huh!" So i started surfing around and picking out some freebie doily patterns (big ones, like 12 inches dia. and bigger) and have started making those with big hooks and ww yarn. and wouldn't you know it!! big round doily shawls!!! :hook Just try it before you spend $ for the book. The patterns are free, whadda got to loose?

Well, one thing - that's the only "big round doily" shawl pattern in the book. ;) Though I am going to be tempted to try that with some more patterns, LOL.

Well, one thing - that's the only "big round doily" shawl pattern in the book. ;) Though I am going to be tempted to try that with some more patterns, LOL.

Since I don't have the book, I don't know what all's in it. I got the idea when I first saw the cover of the book and the girl wearing the big green "doily" shawl. Now that I've tried it, I can say it does work out. I've also discovered that are lots of things that can be made with huge round doily's (or square ones or rectangle ones too). From rugs, to beautiful afghans. Pick out a free pattern, or one you have already, experiement with the hook size and different type yarns, and let your imagination run free! :)

I actually added a few rows to make it bigger, I bumped up a hook size than what the pattern called for, and I edged it with double crochets instead of single. I prefer the way it fits this way, I also tried the pineapple shawl from the book, and had to add an extra pineapple round to that as well. Either I work too tightly, or these patterns are meant for super skinny gals... I dunno

Beautiful. Great job on that. I can see why it would be addicting if all the patterns are as beautiful as that one.

Archived