"Kids Can Do It: Crocheting"

written by Gwen Blakly and Jackie Young

published by Kids Can Press copyright 2003

Thought I'd give a plug to this great little book. When I assisted with a homeschool co-op class a couple of years ago (we're doing the K word now - ew!! LOL), the teacher picked this one to give to each student to work from. It has 10 cute patterns, and I'd say that the girls (ranging from age 6 to age 13) liked every one of them, though we didn't get to do them all. Every pattern is sc, but you could easily have them to do the scarf hdc or dc once they get bored with sc. The neater patterns include a lapghan and a locker organizer.

As for instructions, there was the drawback of not having left-handed illustrations (we had 4 left-handers, all very young, and I was the one trying to teach them, God help me! :D). Other than that, the pics are large, colorful and clear. We didn't really teach how from the book, but they had it for reference when they went home each week.

Unlike with our knitting class this last semester, everybody left understanding the basics and with several cute little projects to boot. :yes

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the bookmarks are thick, but it's a great first project - simple and small. They can get it done, feel proud, and move on quickly. We also did "bookworms" (curlicue with a long chained tail and tassel) - much easier to fit in books.

The other day I came across the sister book, "Kids Can Do It: Knitting" - didn't really look through it, but glad to know it's available. I only wish it had been there when I was getting ready to teach the class last semester! :angry

I am using this book to teach kids crochet at JoAnns next month. Unfortunately, the book was backordered to the store and I don't even have a copy. I have made a purse from the pattern from JoAnns that is black and Pink with a flap. I made it up and sure hope that it is the one in the book! We still have a month to get the books in. I have checked at every store around here and can't find it. Sure would like to see my purse in there!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, all the Jo-Ann stores (that offer classes) use them for their kids' class. Thanks for the heads-up on the backordering... I haven't needed to order up yet, but if I do, at least I am forewarned. LOL!

I think it's an adorable book, and yeah, I think it's worth investing in.

There is also a sewing book in the series that is FANTASTIC. I bought one for MYSELF! LOL! I love the tote bag pattern in it, and I've also made myself pajama pants (they show you how to make them using an existing pair of pants as a pattern, so size doesn't matter!).

Archived