I'm gonna be a teacher!!

I have the opportunity to teach some classes at my LYS. The students will purchase their hook and yarn from the LYS, and then will pay me for the class. What do y'all suggest for structure, price, etc?

I was thinking $25 for 2 1-hour sessions, with class size limited to 5 to start off.

What do you think?:think

Hmmm, well, it might depend on what other classes are costing in your area. Around here $25 for two one-hour sessions would be considered a bit high, but perhaps in your area that would be right in line with other classes offered.

I think you are wise to put a maximum on your class size, particularly if you are only going to have hour long sessions each time (an hour is never as long as it sounds! :lol). Even in a group of 5 there will be at least one person who will have a harder time "finding their crochet groove", and you want to be fair to everyone with your time and assistance.

I think it is FANTASTIC that your LYS is willing to offer a crochet class!! :cheer So many are knit only. What is your class project?

Here it's $15 for a class at Michaels.. and $20 for most other places with a couple of very small stores charging (and I assume getting) $25 for a class. All of these classes are 2 hours. I don't think you could honestly get alot done in an hour by the time you get them started.. this just from what I've found out doing newbies. It takes them at least that long to get the hang of it typically and get comfortable with it enough to go on their own at home.

I've done a class of 3 beginners and lemme tell you.. omigosh.. I hope from now on we stick to 1 or 2 lol It's tough, you want to give them all individual attention but it comes down to someone having to sit and wait while you show one, then go to the next one. This isn't a class where you can stand up and teach, and not go one on one. So be ready for that ... a bigger class is really a challenge. Five would be my ultimate limit for rank beginners and that would really be a stretch. I think at least until you get into the groove of teaching the class and get a feel for what it's like that you stick to 3 at the most, preferably 2.

Seriously.. it's not as easy as you think it might be lol you'll have some that get it and take off on their own quickly but have lots of questions.. and others that I have literally had to hold their hands in mine and physically show them how to use the hook.

keep to worsted weight light colored yarns for ease of seeing the stitches.. and I found swatches to get them used to the stitches before they learned to chain and go into the foundation chains help ALOT.

I love teaching, it's a continuous challenge and some nights I walk out completely trashed tired because I've had a couple of challenging students.. but as long as my students leave smiling then life is good :) So definitely do a few small classes so you get a feel for what you're in for before taking on 5 new ones at a time. Great luck with your classes though.. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)

I'm not sure what project we'll do, because I don't know the abilities of the students yet. If I have a group of beginners, we'll do a simple scarf or potholders. If they are a bit more advanced, we'll do a more involved pattern........

The going rate for classes is $25, so I don't think I'm over-priced there.....

I've placed an ad in the local paper, using "Get Caught Up In Hooking" as the header. I think I'll catch a few eyes with that one!!

• 3 weeks later...

I taught my first class this last Saturday!! My student had crocheted several years ago, and needed a refresher. We did a sample square with the basic stitches, and she was ready to run with it! I taught her the granny square, and when we parted company, she had an 8" square, and was going to keep going!

It was so much fun, I can't wait to do it again!!

I'll go and "hang out" at the LYS on Saturday afternoons through February, and see what happens from there. My second hour with last week's student is scheduled for 2pm tomorrow, and hopefully, I'll have another 1 or 2 after that....

I just heard from my LYS owner......she has 3 more students for me!!! I have 2 that want to learn how to read patterns, and 1 that is a beginning crocheter. I'm going to have my hands full tomorrow!

• 3 weeks later...

**UPDATE**

I have had at least one student every Saturday this month!! I even taught a lefty!

It helped that she was already a knitter, so she was familiar with yarn and all.....she started out righty, and when she thought she had the hang of it, went lefty, and took off! She also took a liking to this website (I tell all my students about it) and signed up.

I'm looking forward to another bunch of Saturday afternoons spend at the LYS, and teaching more students like my new friend Lisa!!

I get $25 for each student - that entitles them to 2 one hour sessions with me. It usually winds up being a bit longer, because I'll work with them, and I'll sit next to them and work on small projects, available to answer questions if needed.

I get $25 for each student - that entitles them to 2 one hour sessions with me. It usually winds up being a bit longer, because I'll work with them, and I'll sit next to them and work on small projects, available to answer questions if needed.

That is so cool!!! good luck and have a blast!

Linda :sun

http://madcrochetingfool1.blogspot.com

Archived