Addicted to Fat Bottom Bags- My 2nd One!

yarndiva

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

msmommy: The title of the book is "Stitch n Bitch: The Happy Hooker" that is usually available at Barnes & Noble, amazon.com (I got a hardback one for half the price that included shipping), and other fine bookstores. You can also request for one at your local library!!

The pattern is called Fat Bottom Bag and it has 2 variations of it.

HTH

natcat: Murphy's law happens to everyone ALL the time :lol At least when you need to make more FBB's, you don't have to wait for it to be delivered to you!! You can go in the middle of the night (at least at Wal-Mart) to buy more :lol

kat: The title of the book is "Stitch n Bitch: The Happy Hooker" that is usually available at Barnes & Noble, amazon.com (I got a hardback one for half the price that included shipping), and other fine bookstores. You can also request for one at your local library!!

yarndiva:hook I bought my "Stitch n Bitch" Crochet book at Amazon.com, and some bamboo handles at the Michael's Store about 11 miles away from us!!!!! I was a happy camper:woo

Thanks for your lovely comments, gals!!

Now I have to frog the handles of the 1st 2 bags :cry because I just now realized how important lining is to a bag, my 1st one is stretched out, my second one doesn't look complete without the lining so I went to HL a couple of days ago and found perfect fabric for the bags :yay

Will post more on my bag frenzy when I get them done. :lol

:clap Hi yarndiva

I have a lot of cotton, & the double worsted (thick) cotton in cones, lucky for me, the thick cotton I have is delft blue, my favorite color:yay

I wanted to ask you, what kind of fabric did you use for the lining?? cotton??? I think that cotton would last longer, but I just wanted to know:yes

Cotton works the best for me so far since it has lots of color combinations and patterns that work with virtually any color you make the bag with. I did buy a sheer/filmy fabric to go with the periwinkle one, but I will double that one up to make sure it stands the test of time :lol

yarndiva

Right now, I'm on the 17the row on the FBB, I'm using the double worsted cotton from peaches & cream.

To fit the fabric for the lining, do you cut the shape of the inside of the bag??????

When we go to town, I'm going to buy some blue cotton fabric. & double it, for the lining.:yay at the walmart where we go to, they don't have any crochet books, & not a great selection of yarn either, however, right next to the walmart, they are building a super walmart!!!

Thanks for your lovely comments, gals!!

Now I have to frog the handles of the 1st 2 bags :cry because I just now realized how important lining is to a bag, my 1st one is stretched out, my second one doesn't look complete without the lining so I went to HL a couple of days ago and found perfect fabric for the bags :yay

Will post more on my bag frenzy when I get them done. :lol

Yarndiva

When you were ready to put your lining in the bag, did you hand sew it in?? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I have to ask:blush I'm on the 30th row

Carol,

You will need to line the bag before making the handles.

What I did was after I crocheted the body, I did an extra hdc all around the bag (that's where you will be sewing the lining to), laid the bag flat on one side on top of your fabric of choice and cut one inch extra around the bag. I also cut a 2 inch wide strip of fabric to sew to the 2 sides of the lining (clear as mud?) The 2" strip will match the 5 dc space bet. the 2 inc/dec Hhdc's on the bag .

I just checked out a book from the library on how to make you own designer bags and they mentioned interfacing. Since you will be making 2 layers of the lining, it may not be necessary and I only make one layer on lining (but then again, I'm a newbie at this) I am leaning strongly towards 2 layers of lining with the interfacing in the middle, just to cover all my bases on the sturdiness of the lining (again, clear as mud?)

I hope this helps, I sew better than I explain :blush.

Yarndiva

We just got back from town, & boy am I tired:whew I bought some cotton fabric, with a pretty little print on them, and they were all on sale too:clap anyway, I was thinking:eek that if we take a big paper bag, (that has been cut flat) and then on top of the paper bag, lay the FBB :FLAT: and, draw out the shape of the FBB, & add about 2 inches all the way around(on the paper pattern for the lining), (we can add about 1 more inch) just to make sure we have enough material, and then cut out the pattern, on the paper bag, & lay the material flat, & place the paper pattern, on top of the material, & cut it out.. I think that this just might work.:think:yay:yes:hook

The one big reason why I decided to add a double lining, is, I'm hard on my purses, so I thought about the extra lining, instead of a single one

Yarndiva:hook I have some news, I had to quit crocheting the FBB, :thair because the double worsted cotton yarn I was using, is way too thick :angry my hands & wrists hurt like crazy:yes

So, I'm either going to use the afghan yarn, with a smaller hook, or the sugar & cream cotton, it isn't sooooooooooo thick.

I do have to ask you, after you get to the 52nd row, what do you do, to make the handle flap???? do you, turn FBB so, what used to be the side, would now be at the top???:think :think

I hope all of you ladies, have a great week:yes :yay:clap

Yarndiva:hook I have some news, I had to quit crocheting the FBB, :thair because the double worsted cotton yarn I was using, is way too thick :angry my hands & wrists hurt like crazy:yes

So, I'm either going to use the afghan yarn, with a smaller hook, or the sugar & cream cotton, it isn't sooooooooooo thick.

I do have to ask you, after you get to the 52nd row, what do you do, to make the handle flap???? do you, turn FBB so, what used to be the side, would now be at the top???:think :think

I hope all of you ladies, have a great week:yes :yay:clap

Yes, the long "sides" of the bag will be decreased to make the pleats and eventually become the handles.

I'm sorry to hear the big cotton worsted didn't work out for you. Please try it again with the yarns you mentioned...or even 3 strands of cotton thread sz 10!

:hug :hug :hug for all your hard work!

Yarndiva:clap

Yesterday, I didn't do anything, I didn't feel very good, however, today, I am doing much better:yay

Oh, yes, I will try it again, I really will, next time, I'll use the sugar & cream cotton yarn,

I really like that FBB, I'll get atleast 1 made, if not more :yes:hook

I hope you have a great day tomorrow!!!!

I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow too...another episode of the drama that is my IL's jusr unfolded this afternoon...got that resolved (thank you Jesus) and then MIL calls me to add another chapter of "As the Cole turns"...oh boy!

I'm glad tomorrow is always a fresh start!

Need to do more crocheting, must stop surfing!!

Archived