Mini granny square afghan

amalin06

I have this pattern for a mini granny square blanket and i wandered if someone out there already started a CAL for it.

It's nice cause the Square's are only 2 1/2 inches so you could take them anywhere if anyone needs this pattern i can scan it and email it to you:hook

[NOTE BY ADMIN: It's a violation of forum guidelines to offer to send others copies of copyrighted patterns OR to ask others to send them to you. Normally, such requests/offers are deleted, but I'm leaving this in this message because of the ongoing discussion related to this statement. No one would understand the concerns being raised further in the thread without this original statement above.]

It's also nice cause you could use up all your scraps you have lying around as long as they are at least 2 yards long.

I didn't think anyone could copyright a granny square, a normal one, b/c who knows who the first person was who made it. I think a CAL would be great for this. I understand about not scanning a purchased pattern, but just about everyone can do a regular granny, or any granny pattern they have.

my grandmother gave it to me it came to her in the mail with a bunch of other patterns the only reason i was gong to scan it was because i didn't feel like typing it out and i was never going to claim it. It's by Afghan Favorites. i think it's a sample card they send out to people.

my grandmother gave it to me it came to her in the mail with a bunch of other patterns the only reason i was gong to scan it was because i didn't feel like typing it out and i was never going to claim it. It's by Afghan Favorites. i think it's a sample card they send out to people.

It would still be a copyright violation to scan it and email it to people. It's also a copyright violation to type it out and post it.

It would still be a copyright violation to scan it and email it to people. It's also a copyright violation to type it out and post it.

Really? Even if she posts the copyright information? Then it would be ok because her grandmother got it for free, and it still says copyright<company name, year>. I don't know alot about copyright stuff, but that sounds legal to me. (Unless, of course, her grandma got it by subscribing to a magazine or something, which may very well be)

would it still be ok if i emailed it to someone? it's not like i'm claiming it, or selling it. i would just be letting someone else use the pattern for thier own personal use.

It is indeed a violation of copyright law to make a copy of a published, copyrighted pattern (whether it was available for sale or for free) and distribute it via any means (email, snail mail, fax, etc.) unless you have the permission of the copyright owner OR the pattern is in the public domain.

It is also a violation of our forum guidelines to offer to make copies for others or to request that others make copies for you, whether this is done via post, Private Message, or email.

I will be contacting most (if not all) of the people who have posted in this thread so I can be sure you have a clear understanding of our forum guidelines. (I won't ask for a clear understanding of copyright law, because even attorneys don't always agree on some of the complex issues!) But our forum guidelines are quite straightforward.

I am always available whenever anyone has questions about our forum guidelines, and I'm always happy to talk with you as long as it takes until you feel as if you understand what our guidelines are.

Clarification: Whether or not granny squares can be copyrighted to the point that there is no copyright law protection to prohibit selling items made with a pattern, the words an individual author/designer uses to tell how to make a particular granny square are most definitely protected under copyright law. This is my best understanding of copyright law, although I am not an attorney. For more information on the specifics of copyright law, go to the US Copyright Office website.

Archived