Copyright question

This might be a silly question but i am intrigued, anyway.

I designed this necklace, it was published in Crochet! and the pattern is for sell for $0.99 here

http://www.e-patternscentral.com/crochet/detail.html?prod_id=3155&source=aalfpotd

I just wonder, does e-patterncentral.com get permission from the magazine to resell patterns?

I'm not an expert by any means...but...

E-pattern central would have to have permission from the person/company that owns the copyrights. If YOU have an agreement with Crochet! Then they have permission to give permission to e-pattern central...if that makes sence.

e patterns is owned by annies attic/drg networK, which also owns house of white birches. I have done books and patterns for them since 1997 (though in sewing/crafts, not crochet), and they usually buy with all rights for a flat fee, or first rights, with the option to put your item in one their other outlets.

Once they buy all rights, it belongs to them, they are simply posting it in another of their own "venues". That said, again, my experience with them is in another craft division, so I canonly go by waht my contracts have said.

If you check your contract, it should discuss rights and reprinting right near the beginning.

Hope this helps,and your design is very pretty :)

Ray really liked your blogspot very much and can I say how I admire the hat in your profile .

Did you design that fantastic hat?

Ray such a talent and I really like the first top the green one my favourite colour.

Its very elegant.Tried to leave a comment in your blog but could not get in.

This might be a silly question but i am intrigued, anyway.

I designed this necklace, it was published in Crochet! and the pattern is for sell for $0.99 here

http://www.e-patternscentral.com/crochet/detail.html?prod_id=3155&source=aalfpotd

I just wonder, does e-patterncentral.com get permission from the magazine to resell patterns?

Ray, I'm glad people were able to clear things up that e-patterncentral.com and Crochet! are all part of a company called DRG. As Monty said, check your contract, because I bet it gave DRG rights to publish the pattern through any of their various company venues.

Just as a point of curiosity, when you sold the pattern, did you turn over all rights for publication to them? Just wondering if you can ever publish it again for yourself (like so many years after the magazine was published) or if they retain all publishing rights for ever and ever.

Archived