Front loading washer for felting?

kccismee

I have completed my first item to felt but it just occurred to my that my front loading washer might be an issue...

Anyone felted in a washer like this - do I need to run to moms to use the agitator style washer instead?

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure folks have used front loading machines to successfully felt. As I recall, they put things into the washer, such as tennis balls, rubber flipflops, etc. to help with agitation.

If you do a search for front loading washer, I know this has been discussed a lot.

Joan

• 4 weeks later...

top loaders (not the new expensive ones that are weight sensitive (they set the load size for you)) do seem to work the best, but I think with the tips above you should have some luck. Also, hot water in the sink and rubber gloves on your hands works for small things. (and if you're concerned about linting, especially with some of those wools, take it to a laundromat and let their machines take it...maybe make a few things and do them all at once! :rofl )

I've been wondering about this too, particularly since over the last few days on the 2007 Crochet Calendar there's been a "shunky bag" felting project, and it says to check the size every 5-10 minutes...I can't do that on my front loader or the water will spill out! :(

I decided to dig up some old wool sweaters instead of my newly crocheted item to test it. There is no stopping mid cycle with this type of machine so it's really a gamble.

The first one I tried was an mens XXL (huge!) and I put it with old jeans. Started with short hot/cold cycle not a whole lot happened and kept this up for several cycles and still without the results I wanted so in frustration I did the heavy duty cycle (1 hour strt to finsh) and it came out about a boys size 7! It is very dense with no trace of stitch definition but thats ok with me because it's closer (a bit too dense) to what I wanted and I'm usung it for a purse. I won't be felting in my front loader again it's just to unpredictable and too much time, water, energy etc... I LOVE my (Duet) washer but not for this application. I reccomend visiting a friend or the laundymat. ALSO I will be putting future items in a pillowcase as TONS of lint comes off and you don't want to mess up someones washer...

I can't speak for all front loaders but this was my experrience...

I have a front loader and have no problem..2 pair of old jeans and a couple of tennis balls, do the job for me..

The only thing is that if the washer goes to rinse I can't open the door to stop it.. Only can open it in the wash cycle for some reason..

And no the water doesn't spill out...

• 4 weeks later...

I have only ever felted in my front loader and get great results. I have a GE, if that matters. I can open my machine mid-wash cycle and the water doesn't spill out. I set my items to wash in the heavy duty cycle and set my kitchen timer for 12 minutes. When the timer goes off I reset my washer to the beginning of the heavy duty cycle. I do this three times in total. I have found that this works the best for me with my machine. I put my item in an old pillowcase that I tie in a knot so as not to get lint in my motor and toss in my "felting jeans".

• 1 month later...

I have a top loader and watch it carefully some yarns felt very quickly, I did one in the top loader and watched it every minute or two my purse it felted within a very few minutes once it started. I used regular agitation and the hottest water even adding some almost boiling to it occasionally.

when I thought it had felted long enough I brought it out and dunked and rinsed it the coldes water . That was my first felting attempt at all it worked great but, I made a coin purse to match, and wanted to try in in the sink by hand, it worked just as fast and I could control it much better,

I just used my hand to aggitate and if it was too hot you could use a large wooden spoon to aggitate. It all felted within 7 or 8 minutes so to stand and do it by hand I had much more control than with the washer, and unless I was doing a quite large item, I would do it by hand for the control factor alone, so just because you don't have a top loader don't think you can't felt with great results.

Just remember you can't go back, you can always add more felting time.

So if in doubt stop the felting with cold water You can always add more time but once it is too small you can't make it larger again.:hook

Thank you for asking this question. I am almost finished wth a bag that I would like to felt. We own a front loaded washer & dryer. I was encouraged to know that others has had success in felting in front loaded machines. Although, I may chicken out to try it considering this is my first project in felting. I'll see when the time comes. Thank you again.

But what about the spin cycle? Many front loaders -- inc the only washing machines I have access to -- have a locking door that won't open until the entire process is done. I thought running it through a spin cycle was a no-no?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a front loader too and have successfully felted quite a few things in it. It's wierd b/c sometimes I can check in the middle of a wash cycle and sometimes I can't. Depending on how much I want the item to felt, I will choose different cycles (for length mainly), always hot water and I throw a couple of old tennis shoes.

Archived