Mainstay is back at Wal Mart

KellyA

Monty

The yarn is similar to Red Heart, however not the hard scratchy stuff

I would say more along the lines of Caron pounders

I found a skein of Mainstays among my stash that I bought at a thrift store and I don't think I'll buy it if it returns to Walmart. I found it to be very hard and scratchy, even worse than Red Heart (if that's possible).:no

When Mainstay 1st came out, it used to be soft(almost like baby yarn) but before they discontinued it, the texture changed and it was hard & scratchy.

And some skeins like the white ones were thicker than others.

jaye

I got a skein of Brown Multi at WMS in Sunnyside,WA.The color matches RHS Cafe,Gold,Light Raspberry & the light teal(forgot the real name).

I made a hat from it,adding a large rose pin in Light Raspberry.It looks cool!

My SW here in MN had a big display of the new Mainstays. I was excited by some of the colors. I only got white and black for now as I'm trying to reduce my stash. :no The yellow color caught my eye almost buttery. I also liked some of the varigated colors. :clap

I went to my Super Walmart today in San Angelo, TX and there was a huge display filled with Mainstays yarn. They had a big sale of Bernat's camo and I was doing my Starghan with the Camo colors and needed some more. The colors looked really pretty. I had to stop myself from buying some.

• 2 weeks later...

One big skein and my life is complete!

I had this super WIP...and it was totally messed up by the discontinuation of Mainstays...but I managed to manipulate th eproject so that it would be completable without the off white mainstays...

YAY....today...I found what I was looking for...and my project will be complete.:clap

• 11 months later...

i need 2 of the 16 oz. multigreen ..... i have the same problem as shelybean did!

i didnt see it at my walmart....i will check again.

if i cant find any would any of you be willing to pick up 2 and send them to me? i would be more than happy to pay for them and the shipping!

thanks in advance!

Well I am going to have to check this out :cheer A pounder for 3.96 :eek If my Wal-Mart has these hubby is not going to be happy to see what I come home with :D (Just kidding, he really won't mind). You can get two Super Savers for that amount but they are only 7 oz. each, (in the solid, the varigated have less yarn) so I can tell him I actually saved money.

Even though I didn't like the yarn I got with the RR kit from Mary Maxim's I love the pattern :hook It is so easy, and lays flat!! Two pounders is enough to make one afghan in a solid color. Now that would be very ecomomical :D

Oh man!! I hope our Wal-Mart has these :yay I had bought some Mainstay yarn a couple of years ago, I may have to check out my stash to see if I have any left just to check for softness. Oh heck, I don't care.... A pounder for 3.96... I want it!!!!!!

Well I am going to have to check this out :cheer A pounder for 3.96 :eek If my Wal-Mart has these hubby is not going to be happy to see what I come home with :D (Just kidding, he really won't mind). You can get two Super Savers for that amount but they are only 7 oz. each, (in the solid, the varigated have less yarn) so I can tell him I actually saved money.

Even though I didn't like the yarn I got with the RR kit from Mary Maxim's I love the pattern :hook It is so easy, and lays flat!! Two pounders is enough to make one afghan in a solid color. Now that would be very ecomomical :D

Oh man!! I hope our Wal-Mart has these :yay I had bought some Mainstay yarn a couple of years ago, I may have to check out my stash to see if I have any left just to check for softness. Oh heck, I don't care.... A pounder for 3.96... I want it!!!!!!

I don't want to disappoint anyone, but this thread was started in January 2007. I haven't seen any in our local WM lately.

E-e-e-e-e-e! $3.96 a skein for a 1 pounder! IF my Walmart had them, I'd grab a skein of each! How can you not? Maybe 2 or 3. You'd be set for all of 2008.

I was just at my Walmart hours ago. Not a hint of Mainstays. I'll keep watching.

Awww man :( I wish I had paid attention to the date this thread was started before I got all excited. I should have known better. Our Super Center has not carried Mainstay for quite awhile. Although I did go to the Super Center, and I did buy some yarn :hook for another RR. I am hooked on that pattern (pun intended). I am using the RH Frosty Green for the main color, and the Aspen Print varigated for the accent color. These colors are very pretty together.

Because I give so much of what I make away, I just can't afford to spend a lot of $$$$ on yarn, although, this afghan I am keeping for myself, probably :hook

My next project is going to be to find a doily pattern I like to turn into a baby afghan. I have heard about some that have been done, and I think they would be very pretty. Well now let me clarify that statement a bit. There are losts of doily patterns I like, just not all would convert very well to being a afghan.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Speaking of Large MainStay yarn's. I was at my local area Wal-Mart and noticed the empty shelves of there selection of yarns. It turns out that Wal-Mart is getting rid of all the yarns & Materials (in my area at least, so far the Material were all 50% off). And the're gonna put party supplies section in it's place.

Is there any other Wal-Marts that are doing the same, getting rid of the yarns? Just wondering.

If its tru, better stock up on the yarns and supplies.

jaye

Alot of Wal-Marts are doing this, according to the crafts dept. mgr. at my local Wal-Mart. She told me that they tried to get rid of the crafts section in a Wal-Mart a couple of towns away. The customers called the 1-800 number and because there was enough calling in. They decided to keep the crafts section.

She also told me the reason they did away with the Mainstay yarn was because the manufacturer could not keep up.

LOL. I spent an hour talking to her one morning when I was starting to worry that Wal-Mart was doing away with the whole crafts dept.

I need to find out if ours has these in off white to finish that Pansy Afghan that is in my WIP.

Walmart seems to get rid of the craft supplies that don't sell. At my walmart there is a huge fabric section. People are always buy fabric there. Always a line. Not to much yarn but enough I guess. My Walmart is a regular one and I have noticed that Super Walmarts have a very small craft section. I think all the departments are smaller so they can fit more departments in one store.

Archived