Interchangeable hook kit?

I was chatting with a friend who is an avid ebayer, and she was metioning that she had seen a set of crochet hooks that were interchangeable into one nice handle. Kinda like those sets you see of circular cables with interchangeable knitting needle points?

I cruised ebay briefly, but I didn't see anything matching that description.

Anyone ever see anything like this, or own one? I got the impression that the item she looked at was a vintage piece.

That only thing I've seen that even remotely sounds like what you're describing (and it was on eBay) was a seller that made these very cool handles for a smaller hook to go in (think thread hooks) and if you were the winning bidder you could choose which size you wanted installed in your handle... but it wasn't interchangeable as if you could pull it out and push a different one in there - I think he glued it in place or something:think .

Our resident hook whittler Jimbo made a hook a while back where he combined a bamboo hook with his whittled creation - you can see it here http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/2006/10/jimbamboo-1-for-bids-sold.html ...

I own a vintage boye interchangeable hook set. It has all the steel hooks that screw into the handle. It comes in it's own box with a spot for each and every size. I don't use it as it is too precious to me and I am not comfortable with that sort of handle. I like the shape of the good ole steel hooks we all use.

I actually own a couple different types of interchangeable hook sets. They used to be quite popular. One of the advantages was the hook could be removed in transit and stored safely away until it was needed.

I have a mother of pearl one that is just gorgeous that has interchangeable hooks also. It's one of my favorites.

I am sure the hooklady could give us all a lot more history on these. I just enjoy the beauty of my treasures.

As for current ones. I think I remember seeing something, someplace, but I don't think it caught on. I didn't pay too much attention as I collect vintage hooks not new hooks.

Lacis http://lacis.com/catalog/catalog.html has a cabled set for double ended crochet here is the description from their web page:

"2-WAY" CROCHET HOOKS FOR CABLE ATTACHMENT.

A pair of 5" hooks with a threaded insert for attachment to cable set LF31 or "Boye" "Needlemaster" flexible cables, enabling the hooks to swivel while allowing the creation of single or double end Afghan needles of virtually any length. (LF29)

I have not seen any others that are interchangeable except vintage one's like the ones Kathy described.

Hope this helps.

I've seen the vintage ones on ebay every now and then. They are exactly as Katchkan described. I tried bidding on a few, but they usually go for over $250 USD, a little too expensive for my beginner skills. They are gorgeous, if you find a well maintained set. The usually have a mother of pearl, or bakelight handle, and the screw in steel hooks.

I bought the one, item description is

Removable Bates Hook Holder

It has wood handle, grips hooks(steel)

It is made for Susan Bates hooks but I have many Tulip hooks, some of them fits too.

seller is woodbyc (eBay)

Demet

• 9 months later...

The new one you are looking for is by Provo Craft. I bought mine at my local Michael's the regular price is 19.99 US dollars but I had a 40 percent off coupon so I got it for less. It comes with two handles an ergonomic one and a regular one. I like them both. :)

I have put the one Tampa Doll posted about on my wish list for Chirstmas. I even showed to my DB. So he know what it looks like. My Walmart has them now.

• 3 weeks later...
I was chatting with a friend who is an avid ebayer, and she was metioning that she had seen a set of crochet hooks that were interchangeable into one nice handle. Kinda like those sets you see of circular cables with interchangeable knitting needle points?

Anyone ever see anything like this, or own one? I got the impression that the item she looked at was a vintage piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ERGONOMIC-CROCHET-HOOK-w-3-YARN-3-COTTON-SIZES_W0QQitemZ320147010546QQihZ011QQcategoryZ108867QQcmdZViewItem

I have emailed the seller to find her website.

This is a little off topic, but I don't feel established enough to start a new thread (I may have missed one in my search). Sorry for only coming out of lurking to ask for help. That's how a lot of newbies start, right? :P

The question: What are some options with regards to nice hook sets? I'm getting to the point at which I think I'd really like a set with a (nonleather) carrying case. I've seen what I'm looking for... if I were a knitter. :) I'd like a set to include as much as possible, but if I'm honest with myself, I don't use the smaller steel-style hooks much at all. I could probably go on forever with the one I have. In short, it's probably a waste of money... but I want a set anyway. :2blush

I have that, I love it. Its by provo-craft.

Archived