doily I made with sewing thread

dennymare

That is BEAUTIFUL!

What size hook did you use? I just picked up my great grandmother's hook to see if it would make it easier on one that I am working on and it really did! I have no clue what size it is, there isn't any writing or imprint on it.

Gardnr

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Mary, your doily is just as stunning to see now as it was when you first posted it in early 2005! :c9:clap:applause:flower:nworthy

I've had this pattern book for some time, and have been itching to make something from it. What has held me back, though, is getting the materials. I checked a fabric store, and I couldn't find a complete color way for a single project; one or more colors were always missing or too few. Also, it seemed that each thread spool was going to be around $2, 3 spools per color, usually at least 5 colors per project - :eek (can you tell I'm the one who usually sticks to the mill ends bin when buying yarn? :lol).

I noticed that Yammy had made one of these and emailed her to ask advice on finding materials less expensively. She replied that she usually just bought regular sewing thread at about $.99, from dollar stores, or to look in Wal-Mart or similar stores. Also, she suggested that if you do the shading between say a sage green to an ecru or a pink to white you can just do two threads and then mix your threads 3 Pink, 2 Pink 1 White, 1 Pink 2 White and then 3 White and they turn out real pretty. (condensed from our pm dialog, with her permission to post this info, thanks, Yammy!)

Still on my search to find pretty thread at a reasonable cost, I looked on Jo-Ann.com yesterday and they have a Madeira rayon embroidery thread sampler of 18 colors (40wt, 200 yd/spool) on sale for $20, apparently full price is around $50. I was thinking of getting three of those, since the colors were very pretty and grouped in color families. So, since each sampler contained multiple color families, I could make quite a few different projects. However, I didn't see any Madeira white, except as a polyester (can you mix rayon and polyester in a doily project?)

I was wondering if the experts who have done these (or the designer, our very own Ferosa!) have any advice on materials - source, cost, type of fiber? I'm seeing rayon, polyester, cotton, and mixtures of those. I'd appreciate any help y'all would care to give. :ty

Hi Patricia,

I wouldn't advise mixing the rayon with polyester threads. Rayon thread has a high gloss unlike the polyester thread. You will see a definite difference in your finished work. What you can do is look for another brand of white rayon thread.

Another good idea is buying a large spool of thread and get extra empty bobbins and wind off two bobbins from the same spool so you have three strands to work with from one spool of thread. This will work for smaller rounds of a large doily, as you continue to work on larger rounds of your pattern you may need the three spools.

I always reccommend buying the three spools of each colour because you can get more than one doily just by reversing the colours. eg:

If you're using lets say the colour purple family and you start off with the darkest shade and end with white. Your next doily you can start with white and end with the darkest shade. I would also suggest marking the three spools of all colours 1, 2 and 3. So when you start your next doily you just work each spool in reverse also 3, 2, then 1. I hope this little tidbit of information proves to be helpful. If you have any more questions don't hestitate to let me know.

Hugs

Ferosa

That is very beautiful. I was looking at the sewing thread the other day. There is bigger selection on colors for doilies. I was wondering about trying that but didnt know if you would use two or three strands. I love the colors in yours.

Hi Patricia,

I wouldn't advise mixing the rayon with polyester threads. Rayon thread has a high gloss unlike the polyester thread. You will see a definite difference in your finished work. What you can do is look for another brand of white rayon thread.

Ferosa, thank you for steering me away from that problem; I'd have felt awful if all my effort to make one of these beauties was wasted due to inexperience in choosing materials! :eek :tythat said, what do you think about using rayon for a painted doily? Is it too glossy? Or hard to control (i.e. slippery) while crocheting? Another idea a C'villager suggested to me was to use single strands of embroidery floss. I've got lots on hand, and of course it comes in lots of colors, but I wondered about the length floss comes in (8yds, I think?) and how difficult it might be to have to join every 8 yds. also, what about the diameter of floss vs sewing thread? Is there a big difference? :think
Another good idea is buying a large spool of thread and get extra empty bobbins and wind off two bobbins from the same spool so you have three strands to work with from one spool of thread. This will work for smaller rounds of a large doily, as you continue to work on larger rounds of your pattern you may need the three spools.
This sounds sensible (I found the allthreads site, and their usual spool size is 1100 yds of 40wt thread) I'd buy one spool for a color (about 5.39 per spool for rayon, slightly less for poly), and definitely have to wind off to separate bobbins/balls to have three threads to work with simultaneously. When you "wind off" are you talking about using a sewing machine, or could I use a regular yarn winder and create center pull skeins of thread? Was wondering if the thread would be too skinny to work well with the yarn winder...but it would be a hassle to lay hands on a sewing machine; possible, but a hassle. Not to mention having to buy the bobbins. :scrachin
I always reccommend buying the three spools of each colour because you can get more than one doily just by reversing the colours. eg:

If you're using lets say the colour purple family and you start off with the darkest shade and end with white. Your next doily you can start with white and end with the darkest shade. I would also suggest marking the three spools of all colours 1, 2 and 3. So when you start your next doily you just work each spool in reverse also 3, 2, then 1. I hope this little tidbit of information proves to be helpful.

Never thought of that, but it makes great sense. I guess designers have to think outside the box, hmm? :flower
If you have any more questions don't hestitate to let me know.

Hugs

Ferosa

I really, really appreciate your help on this, Ferosa! :hug:manyheart

Hi Patricia,

I am happy to hear that my advice was helpful. I have made painted doilies and other crochet projects with rayon embroidery thread and the results are fantastic. The blending of colours are better than polyester. The only negative is the finished work is a bit more tricky to block as the thread tends to shrink and get a bit stiff when washed and starched, but with a bit of careful handling you can pull it back in shape with your hands, once dried and a light ironing it will get smooth and slinky to the touch. I made a painted scarf with rayon thread and the feel of the finished piece is fantastic.

Granted embroidery floss has a wide range of colours to work with and maybe some people may have the patience to sit and seperate those strands but girlfriend not me, too much work, not to mention the countless joining on your work.

I usually stick the empty bobbin on a pencil and wind the thread with my hands, it doesn't take long to fill the bobbin.

On several occasion I hear people say that the cost for supplies to make a painted doily is way above their budget and this has caused me to come up with ideas to make the cost more feasible to those wanting to try the technique. Thank you for your questions, I love sharing whatever knowledge I acquire along the way whilst designing with everyone.

Hugs

Ferosa

Hi Patricia,

I am happy to hear that my advice was helpful. I have made painted doilies and other crochet projects with rayon embroidery thread and the results are fantastic. The blending of colours are better than polyester. The only negative is the finished work is a bit more tricky to block as the thread tends to shrink and get a bit stiff when washed and starched, but with a bit of careful handling you can pull it back in shape with your hands, once dried and a light ironing it will get smooth and slinky to the touch. I made a painted scarf with rayon thread and the feel of the finished piece is fantastic.

Hi, Ferosa, thank you so much for your advice. I think I understand:

1. rayon, better color change and ultimate texture than poly, but blocking is more difficult (fair warning: guess what questions I'll be asking when I get one done? :D

Granted embroidery floss has a wide range of colours to work with and maybe some people may have the patience to sit and seperate those strands but girlfriend not me, too much work, not to mention the countless joining on your work.
2. embroidery floss: possible, but separating strands and splicing would be a negative. Also, I wonder about just how much cheaper than thread it would be. Yes, you can usually find skeins below .20 per, but that's still only 48 yds; still looks like around $2.75-$4 to match 3 separate 330yd spools. Savings would vary by the color, considering not all project colors require equal amounts), plus all that separating and splicing.... Hmm. Perhaps useful for an initial project to see if you like the technique; then invest in the more expensive, less labor-intensive spools from then on. On the other hand, having to separate and splice the floss might make your initial project something you'd never want to do again.... :whew:eek

I guess it depends on how much cost is truly a barrier to trying it out. Even using floss, I'd guess it would take at least $9.00 in materials (guestimate based on 5-color design, $3.5 for most-used color, then 2.5, then 1.5, then .8, and .40, taxed). Comparing that to rayon embroidery thread from allthreads (not a recommendation, just used for practical comparison), where I'd buy 5 spools (1110 yds per spool, one spool per project color, 5x5.39=26.95, free shipping) that would probably be enough to make two projects.

I usually stick the empty bobbin on a pencil and wind the thread with my hands, it doesn't take long to fill the bobbin.
I forgot to ask; are we talking about the bobbins that look like little fat ladders, or the short, round cylinders people use in sewing machines?
On several occasion I hear people say that the cost for supplies to make a painted doily is way above their budget and this has caused me to come up with ideas to make the cost more feasible to those wanting to try the technique. Thank you for your questions, I love sharing whatever knowledge I acquire along the way whilst designing with everyone.

Hugs

Ferosa

Ferosa, thank you! not only for your help, but in coming up with the really cool and challenging patterns to try out! :nworthy:flower

• 5 months later...
Here is a doily I crocheted using sewing thread. It was a challange but alot of fun also. I thought it had turned out well and evidently so did my daughter who took it home to display in her house. Guess thats the best compliment any ways. I got the pattern from Annies Attic. Hope you all like it.multicoloreddoily.jpg

love it. never new you could crochet with sewing thread. verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry beatuifl

That is beautiful. I made one ONCE using teal and white. It turned out really nice but I gave it anyway before I took a picture of it. You are right, it is a challenge to work with 3 spools of three!

Love the colors!

Archived