Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm still doing my 8 center star granny blocks. These are a tad tedious... Feeling the pain, I'll tell you!

I measured mine, and they are dead-on to gauge (7"). I'm not sure HOW that happened, as I don't believe I've ever BEEN on gauge before. I am using the "G" hook and taking my time, as this is MY afghan and I want it done right! LOL! That, and I don't want to :frog anything!

Hopefully I'll have a post to pic by Monday of my star with the squares attached.

Hi Tracey, yeah I've been trying to follow along with you all till my book came, and that's what I'm using, too. A size H crochet Hook. Maybe I should have used the "I" instead. Size dosen't realy matter as far as being too big, since this is going on my 3pc sectional. Oh well, I don't want to rip out now. If I don't like it, I'll just give it away. LOL I'll try and send a pic so you can tell me what you think. But not tonight. Too tired......

I don't usually use a size G because I thought things puckered to much when I did, but, I am finding that I am doing pretty well with this pattern and a G hook. I have got the center star done (I love the colors I used) and I have one of the Granny squares almost done!!!

Got 5 of the 8 squares done...Trying to tuck in the ends as i go along so i don't have to go back and do them...These squares are so tedious but look great when done....I might try and join them today I can't wait to see how they look and I am looking forward to see everyone elses..

Hi Tracey, Here is mine. I don't have to ends sewn in yet, incase I had to do some frogging and the block isn't attached yet. Does it look right to you? Or anyone for that matter. Does it look like it's supposed to look?

grnstar2.jpg

Rita - it looks great! I lOVE that variegated you are using - is that two-toned tan, or is it gold? WOW! Just adds so much depth. The only thing I notice is that it looks like you're alternating joining gold, then red, then gold, then red. You're supposed to do all of your "side" squares first, then join your corners. It will just keep those little joining tab colors all uniform, that's all.

I have a question on Row 8 of the center star -- "dc in sp bet next 2 cls, ch 1" Shouldn't there be a ch 1 before that as well?

Laurie - YES, there should be. In fact, I called Herschnerr's and told them of this mistake, and the lady said they were going to add it to their list of corrections.

Who posted the corrections post earlier? Perhaps you can add that to that post?

Texas REd-Head: A CAL is a "crochet-a-long", which means you have all different people making the same pattern (or theme, depends on teh CAL) and they encourage each other and help each other along with cheering, pictures and threats (no, just kidding about the threats)!

Join in if you'd like - you can come and go as you please!

Thank you SO much. I'll write that ch 1 in my book. This is the first afghan I'm making that's not just straight back and forth so I'm being extra careful not to mess it up.

Tracey, I don't understand. Do you mean that the block should be 1 cream for center and all the rest re to be the red color? BTW the multi green is a combo of 2 shades of green, tan, gold. That is supposed to be the corner square and the burgundy red is the side square and the cream is the center square. I thought I was supposed to change colors on each square to form the 9 square block. Now Im confused. And where does the edging go?

You know, I have been looking at some of the other gals pictures, and it looks like it doesn't really matter where you put what color, as we all have different tastes. LOL So..I think I am doing it right, just different?

I have a question on Row 8 of the center star -- "dc in sp bet next 2 cls, ch 1" Shouldn't there be a ch 1 before that as well?

AAAAGH!:rant:thair:yell

I KNEW it didn't read right!! At least with the bigger hook everything is laying flat so no one (except me) knows I missed this...shhhhh. Don't tell:no

I knew there had to be one there. I think I frogged it once and then redid it. I did try to read ahead on the pattern a bit to see how things were going to work there. Thanks for posting about the SC Krysta.

Judianne - I actually omitted BOTH ch1s, before AND after. I wanted this to be "tighter" as it's going on king bed, and I don't want it to have too much stretch to it. I put them in on Round 9, though - as it wanted to pucker then.

Rita - The arrangement of your squares in your nine-patch is right. What I meant before is that you attach your four "red" squares to the center, then do the "green" corner squares. Next nine-patch, you attache the four "green" side squares first, then join the four "red squares. It looked like you went around the center cream square attaching the outer squares red, green,red,green,red,green, etc.

I just realized it's red and multi, not red and green. Everywhere I said "green", substitute Multi! Blonde moment.

I got all of my eight nine-patches done! After dinner, I hope to join them onto the main center square and take a picture. YAY, me!

Well I finished the star and 6 of the 8 patches last night. This morning I found my star in the middle of the floor. My dog Lillie chewed off 2 of the points. Spiteful beast:eek . So I had to redo the last 2 rows and then tried joining oneof the squares. Well it looks horrible. Is there supposed top be a ridge there? Maybe it's too tight? I giess I will post a pic and see what you think.

Poor Grammy Pat!! :eek The pup must have loved the star, though...

I just felted a blanket for my German shep pup (13 months old) and I'm hoping he doesn't chew this to pieces as he has done to other ghans I put down for him to lay on. The others were old work from years ago, so I didn't have a cow over it...

I hope you can salvage some of it!:hug

I don't thinkyou can see the ridge too clearly becasue of the dark green.

But it is really raised up there in the corner. Maybe if I redid it with a larger hook?

Archived