Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

ok so i FINALLY got started on this last night and i'm already confused looool. for the granny block 1 round 2 it says to TURN then sl st in first ch-2 space. that doesn't make sense. wouldn't i just sl st in top of ch-3 and then sl st in ch 2 and continue working like that? like a regular granny square??

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so i know i'm talking to myself here but i'm just too excited about my progress so far! last night i attatched the 8 granny blocks around the star and got most of row 1 of the border done so i'm hoping to finish the star border tonight. i'm really pleased and how fast this is going!

Congratulations Cheri... I remember when I made this afghan, I gave it to a beloved friend who passed away last year. Her son stopped by the other day and the afghan was in his car. I was really surprised to see it there.

I did the star...but diverged from the pattern to make it more of a sampler--there are so many cool squares to do! So I have done a number of squares of various designs and just need to start attaching them to the star. But I have four gift projects going on, so it will be awhile before I get back to actually doing this.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm back! I have attached 8 squares to the star and started the border. Frogged, and restarted the border. I had to make sure the number of stitches around each square was the same. Since I'm using a variety of yarns on this, as well as different square designs, that took some increasing and decreasing to achieve.

When the border is finished I'll do 16 more squares and the wedges.

I still love it. Christmas is coming and I have other projects going but this is nice to do for the fun of it.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now I'm attaching the squares to the wedges, but not as directed. The chain 3, then do a little dip stitch seems more like basting than a solid join, so I'm just doing a sc join on the top. This will be a heavy blanket, and I want it to last awhile.

HI All: New here at crochetville. Been in few times to look for patterns. Last year made the pencil scarf and won 2nd place at the fall fair. Gave it to a disabled son of a friend and he just loved it. Wears it everyday to school. I had to book 4 years ago with the blue star pattern in it. I went look for the book other day and found all the pages for the pattern except page one. It tells me how much yarn, needle size and the granny squares. I found the needle size and yarn amount needed here already. The granny squares in the picture look like 2 rounds with chain 2 in corners. When attaching together as u go along at the corners i think its single crochet in 2 chain of previous square then chain one and finish in square now doing. If anyone knows i would appreciate to know if i am right. I dont want to buy the book again if dont have to. Thank you

"I went look for the book other day and found all the pages for the pattern except page one. ... The granny squares in the picture look like 2 rounds with chain 2 in corners."

You make a center square, (4 side squares+4 corner squares)--these are joined to the center square as they are made. There are ch 2 corners, with 3 dc clusters in those corners.

The center and sides start with ch 3 rings, the corners with ch 5 rings. You would think they'd be all the same, but this is kind of a complicated pattern, even down to cutting the light and dark parts of the yarn! Half of the blocks have sc edging, half do not.

If it is any reassurance, I'm doing my own sampler squares, ignoring page 1, and it is all coming together very nicely, so the precise directions don't have to be followed.

• 4 weeks later...

Doing a square a week with a CAL, so this is slow going, but at least it is going, while I'm also doing the Moorish Mosaic afghan.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have made it to the corner borders. I have printed out the corrections and am looking at the corrections posted here as well...

ORRECTION AT CORNER BORDER:

Row 1: (rs) With rs facing, join B in sc 2 sts before any Wedge tip with sl st, ch 1; sc in same sc; ch 1, sk next 2sc, *(dc in next 3 sc, ch 1, sk next sc)7 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in next sc, (point) (ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next 3 sc)6 times, ** sk next 4 sc, tr in next sc (joining), sk next 4 sc; (dc in next 3 sc, ch 1, sk next sc)6 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in next sc (point),

(Ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next 3 sc)7 times, ch 1, sk next 2 sc, sl st in next 2 sc.

This pattern keeps referring to single crochets...but their aren't sc on these square I am crocheting to. This confusing me quite a bit.

Archived