Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

I posted in the Seeking Patterns section looking for the pattern for this beautiful afghan

granstar.jpg

a couple of lovely people were very helpful in giving me the information I need and I have purchased the yarn and the book for this afghan, and should be receiving them in a few days.

I was wondering who, if anyone, was interested in doing this as a CAL? I am just notorious for starting something and losing steam on it fairly quickly and I would REALLY love to start AND finish this afghan, a CAL may be just the thing to keep me going.

So, who's in with me? =)

Name of Book:

Herrschners Blue-Ribbon Afghans

Sources:

http://www.amazon.com/Herrschners-Bl.../dp/0848714601

http://herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=348205

http://product.half.ebay.com/Herrsch...50351QQtgZinfo

Yarn Requirements: (Thanks Moonspinners)

worsted-weight acrylic yarn:

17.5 oz (990 yds) light blue MC (main color)

10.5 oz (595 yds) blue Color A

17.5 oz (990 yds) navy Color B

17.5 oz (990 yds) cream Color C

14 oz (700 yds) blue/cream varigated Color D

Corrections for the pattern: (Thanks mudpie)

CAL Participants suspected errors in pattern: (I hope these are clear, I've discovered I'm not the greatest at explaining)

Rnd 8 of the Center Star: Should have a "ch 1" right before the ** part. So it should be down the sides of the star something like ch 1, cluster, ch 1, cluster, ch 1 **, dc in sp bet next 2 cls, ch 1. There ought to be a ch 1 on either side of that "dc in sp bet next 2 cls".

Rnd 2 of Star Border: The last set of (sk next sc, dc in next 3 sc, ch 1) should omit the last ch 1 since you are ch 2 for the point.

CORRECTION AT CORNER BORDER:

Row 1: (rs) With rs facing, join B in sc 2 sts before any Wedge tip with sl st, ch 1; sc in same sc; ch 1, sk next 2sc, *(dc in next 3 sc, ch 1, sk next sc)7 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in next sc, (point) (ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next 3 sc)6 times, ** sk next 4 sc, tr in next sc (joining), sk next 4 sc; (dc in next 3 sc, ch 1, sk next sc)6 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in next sc (point),

(Ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next 3 sc)7 times, ch 1, sk next 2 sc, sl st in next 2 sc.

Row 10: do not turn.

HALF GRANNY BLOCK:

ROW 4: Ch 4, turn; (cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 1)3 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in ch-2 sp, ch 1, (cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) twice, cl in next ch-1 sp, cl, dc in 3rd ch of beg ch-4, change to A; fasten off MC.

ROW 5: With A, ch 4, turn; (cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) 4 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in ch-2 sp, ch 1, (cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) 3 times, cl in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, dc in 3rd ch of beg ch-4.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought that book last year to make that afghan. I still haven't done it yet ... I'm currently trying to only use what i have in my stash ...... sooooo difficult :lol I don't think i have what I would need to make this. But I will definitely be watching to see everyone else's progress. I may join after i start buying yarn again. Or maybe I will find stuff in my stash i want to use for it

ARRRGH!!!! I was so trying to resist, but I cannot! I'm in for this CAL. Local craft store is having a great sale on Red Heart this week; can't resist that either. Seriously, though, Lyn, I'm like you: gung ho for a project then I quickly lose steam. So off to the store I go! :hook

Thought I would double-check my stash. WHOO-HOO! I have more than enough yarn for this!

I'm definately in! I have had the book for awhile and never got around to making this even though it's one I put on my list so this will be the kick I need to get going!

Now to figure out what colors I'll be using! LOL

Oh this is great! =) Man I hope I can actually finish this....I'm going to have to really push myself and make my hubby proud lol He wants me to finish ONE afghan =) AND he really LOVES this design, he helped me pick out all the colors, he is so excited...so I'll make it for him and actually finish it..it'll be like the little engine that could =)

I'm in trouble! I went to get the green yarn and it just wasn't the colors I wanted. There really was not a good selection at my local store so I think I will wait and try at Michaels which is about an hour away.

However I was looking through the yarn I have and I found a gorgeous combination of gray, cream and coral pink that my Mom was making a ripple with.

Maybe I will make 2. Maybe I am delirious from sniffing all that yarn fiber ay Hobby Lobby.

Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!:think

I went through my stash and here are my colors:

Red Heart supersaver in Med. Thyme, Frosty Green, Aspen Print and Caron one-pounder in Cream. Looks like it'll be pretty close to what's pictured in the first post. Not sure when I'll start because I have a few obligations to complete first.

lol grammypat make two, you're so brave =)

I am going to be attempting this in Peaches N Cream cotton yarn. The colors are going to be winterberry, williamsburg blue, lt blue, mauve, and ecru. I hope they are okay for colors and I'm REALLY nervous about using cotton yarn but I've been dying to do it and this was just as good an excuse as any.

moonspinners, i love the colors you're talking about, i bet it will turn out looking very nice...i love greens, thats part of the appeal of the picture i saw of this afghan. I was going to go with greens too but i saw the winterberry and just really fell in love with that color.

Oh I should add that my OTHER reason for not getting very much progress on my WIPs is that I have an 18 month old who every time i pick up my hook decides that he'd rather sit and my lap and occupy my FULL attention =)

So I only have a couple hours a day (during his naps) that I can have 100% concentrated attention on crochet. I sneak in some crocheting here and there when he's got his attention on toys or daddy though =)

liked the afghan so much that i am bidding on ebay for it...i think this will be my first project for the new year...i really needed something to get motivated and i think this is just what will do it..thanks alot!!! just can't seem to decide on color though...

I picked my colors out a month or two ago. This has just been in a bag to start sometime after all of the holiday madness was done. ;)

I'm going with all Red Heart Super Saver yarns.

MC is Country Blue 0382

A is Royal 0385

B is Navy 0387

C is Soft White 0316

D is Shaded Dusk 0984

Wendy,

On the first post is a link to Amazon.com and the description of thd book is there. I just ordered it. I love the afghan, but wait til you see the cover. Okay so I guess I will be doing multiplies now, BS CAL and this. It is just to pretty to pass up. If you have trouble, let me know and I can get one for you and send it to Australia

Keep a sharp eye out, ladies. I know I saw the book online for just under $3 (US). It's was listed on one of those online discount book stores. Sorry I can't remember what site it was.

Lyn: I just love the colors in the afghan you posted. I've had my yarn for several months now just waiting for the right project. So I'm happy :) I didn't have to go out in the rain today and my husband is happy 'cause I'm not spending money. :P

Wendy you can order the book BLUE RIBBON AFGHANS from http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au I have not checked lately but I bought mine about 3 months ago.

This is the one I made:

2708112760058018460HWjkMf_th.jpg

Happy New Year everyone... I have been MIA as I was very ill for a few weeks and then my dad had a stroke. He is recovering but is still in hospital and we take it in turns to go and sit with him.

That is beautiful, forines! Nice to see another variation of a finished blue star. So sorry to hear about your father and your being ill, I'm glad to hear both he and you are doing better.

Moonspinners: Glad to hear you don't have to purchase more yarn LOL Hubby and I have made this New Years Resolution to not spend any unnecessary money for a while (I've been going nuts on pattern books and yarn and he's been going kinda nuts on Magic the Gathering cards) Of course, I told him that I had to make my Peaches N Cream purchase first! hehe That's why I ordered it yesterday...Dec 31, JUST before the new year =)

Thank you Julie and Mizztresslyn. I was very run down and came down with a very bad strain of flu that had me in bed for over a week. I am almost back to normal now. Dad is doing well now...his speech has returned and he is responding to the treatment. He will probably be in hospital for another week or so. I spend quite a few hours with him...I take my crochet and somedays I even manage to do some. I completed my friend's afghan...the blue and yellow one but cannot seem to access my webshot pages to upload it. I will try later.

Archived