Hello Kitty Square and advice

MiztrezzLyn

I came across a chart for a hello kitty square and had to make one. I changed it up a bit, choosing colors I liked and once I got to the outer rounds I added some things and put a border around that i could join as I go (flat braid joining its called).

My question is, I dont want every square to be the same square, I was thinking of alternating a kitty square with some other square that would look nice and would utilize the white/light purple/dark purple theme that I have going. Any suggestions? The square is made with an I hook and is about 5 inches (minus the white flat braid joining border that I have on it). I just can't seem to find one that I think will go well with the way the Hello Kitty square looks.

Anyway here is a picture of the square so you can see what I did (I love this square hehe) and maybe you can give me some advice as to what to use for the other square.

hellokitty2.jpg

hellokitty.jpg

Thanks for looking!

There is an idea, any idea how i can make it so its only 5" is it as easy as just leaving off some rounds?

Also, I just remembered that I forgot to add a bow to Hello Kitty. I want to try and make one that is light purple edged in dark purple and attach, gonna have to see if I can figure out how to crochet a bow looking thing lol

I've seen Hello Kitty squares alternated with just regular granny squares and they looked nice that way.

I agree.....I would alternate the Hello Kitty squares with another type of square with similar colors.

That is very pretty =) I think I shouldn't have tried to change the colors so much. I really like purple if you couldn't tell lol But I think it makes it so it doesn't look so much like Hello Kitty. I also forgot the bow.

I have the chart for making that 2nd square that you hve there (I think its the same one) and I don't really like it all that much, but haven't been happy with any other square to join up with it.

It's kind of taken a back burner, I just only have that one square done, although I really do love it.

I think I shouldn't have tried to change the colors so much. I really like purple if you couldn't tell lol But I think it makes it so it doesn't look so much like Hello Kitty. I also forgot the bow.

I LOVE your color selection and I think it looks just like Hello Kitty. You can applique a bow on after the square is finished... would give it some cool texture.

I would make your alternate squares just like the HK squares, but eliminate the kitty face so it's just the lighter purple framed with the darker purple, and then the white. You want the Kitty face to be prominant, and adding another pattern I think would be distracting.

I bet that will come out great! Please share a picture when it's finished.

Joan

I actually like the purple, I think it looks very very nice. I just stuck to the colors as in the pattern book (Japanese), but I am sure my daughter Caitlin would have liked your colors better, as she is a purple freak, lol.

I like the purple, but I hafta say that I didn't realize it was hello kitty without it being that signature pink. Sort of like seeing ronald mconald without the red and yellow.

Maybe the other squares could spell out H-E-L-L-O K-I-T-T-Y?

That's an idea! =)

I'm afraid this has gone to the UFO pile at least for now. I am not sure why, I love the square and all and am very proud of how I modified the square and made it into a join as you go (which should make it more promising for me) but I have been distracted by other things LOL

Someday soon maybe, I hope, to work on it some more.

When it stops becoming a UFO you absolutly have to show off the finished product since that square is simply adorable. I can't wait to see how you decide to handle it since everyone came up with such great ideas and I'm positive you'll pick the best thing for it. :)

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone! Does anyone happen to have the pattern for these adorable granny squares they are so beautiful. Thanks in advance. If it posted somewhere I do appologize I'm new to this site and to crochet but I love em both am are addicted. Lol. I found 1 but it wasnt really a pattern or I coulnt read it. Thanks again.

Hey everyone! Does anyone happen to have the pattern for these adorable granny squares they are so beautiful. Thanks in advance. If it posted somewhere I do appologize I'm new to this site and to crochet but I love em both am are addicted. Lol. I found 1 but it wasnt really a pattern or I coulnt read it. Thanks again.

Hello Kitty is a trademarked/copyrighted character. There are probably some officially licensed patterns available in some Japanese books/magazines.

In order to distribute patterns featuring Hello Kitty's likeness legally, the designer/publisher has to make licensing arrangements with the copyright/trademark owner (Sanrio Corporation). These arrangements are usually very expensive, which is why there are very few licensed patterns available for any trademarked/copyrighted character.

Some people choose to make unlicensed patterns available, hoping they won't get noticed by the trademark/copyright owners or not realizing that they can't use somebody else's intellectual property without permission (whether the pattern is for sale or for free).

To protect Crochetville from legal troubles related to contributory trademark/copyright infringement, we cannot allow links to, discussion of, or hints at how to find any unlicensed patterns that might exist.

If anyone knows of officially licensed Hello Kitty patterns, you're welcome to post information about them here. If you're not sure whether something is officially licensed or not, please send me the link via PM first so I can check it out before you post it. Most licensed patterns will be clearly identified with the words "officially licensed" or "used with permission" or something else to indicate the pattern is being distributed legally.

Please do not post any links to patterns unless you're absolutely sure the pattern is officially licensed.

I am sorry as I said I'm new to the whole crochet and pattern thing and I saw some patterns that looked like it (not on this site) and I really didn't realize the whole copyright thing.. again sorry

Nikki, it's no problem. We get this question lots of times, regarding Hello Kitty and other trademarked/copyrighted characters.

Each time the question pops up, it's a good opportunity for me to help inform others (the person who asked the question and many others who may be reading the thread) about all the issues involved. :)

As I said, there may be some legitimate officially licensed Hello Kitty patterns out there. It's fine for information about those patterns to be shared here.

Archived