Thread crochet scares me

AlyBlu

Something I tried last year was using two threads together (in contrasting colours) with a slightly larger hook. That makes switching between yarn and thread projects easier...

I sometimes have to start a thread project at least 5 times before I get it right! My problem has always been when I have to start with a circle and crochet in the middle of it, my circle is usually too small, till I get it just right! I remember the first time I tried thread crochet was when I was about 13 and there was a store called Woolworths that carried so much yarn, craft supplies you would thinkg you were in heaven! Anyhow, they had this 3 ball thread crochet deal, you got red, green, and white, and a little booklet with about 10 projects in it. Tiny doilies, angels, snowflakes, etc. I made every one and was so proud because my aunt who taught me to crochet a little had a hard time with thread! Just have fun with it! I still have that booklet and use it all the time! You will get the hang of it and then there will be no stopping you!! M

You can also try the free crochet along at Hassdesigns.com. They have a Little Hearts Doily crochet along that is free. After completing that you can try the crochet along club that he has for a great price of $25 and you get a bunch of crochet alongs as well. One is for curtains. If you were to buy each crochet along by itself it would cost $90. This is a great deal. I love thread and this is wonderful. I'm not affiliated with them at all, just very excited about it. Try it out, you have nothing to lose and every thing to gain.

Hope

Shelbyville, KY

If you can work rounds or do things like a granny blanket, it is basically the same technique with smaller yarn of course. After I learned thread, I noticed that my crochet with regular sized yarn really sped up!

Good luck to you!

Lisa:clap

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean. I just started a project with a size 30 thread and a #10 needle and I feel like my small fingers have suddenly turned into jumbo, giant ogre hands! It takes some practice, but after awhile you'll get the hang of it.

In fact, the longer you do thread projects, the fatter normal-sized yarn will seem to you! Keep us posted on your progress!

• 1 month later...

That turned out wonderful. You did a great job. :yay

So I just sat down and started - this took me a long time - but I like it. Sorry this is a scan, so I couldn't get it all in - but you get the idea.

Purplepineapple-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From what you scanned in, I think you have done a great job. It will get easier from here. You should now feel like you understand what is going on and how the stitching works. Won't be able to stop you now. Keep up the good work.:manyheart

Archived