AlyBlu

Thread crochet scares me

I feel like a clumsy, uncordinated oaf working with this stuff!

And tips or words of advice?

Say a prayer and jump right in! :D That's what I do. ;) Just have the idea, this will be fun and interesting. Try not to get upset, the instructions are the same as in yarn. I started with a # 7 hook and a # 10 thread. You could start with a # 3 thread, (a little thicker) and a C hook. Till you get used to how skinny it is. I still like to work with # 3 thread sometimes. Just depends on what I'm making. Either way, just have fun and enjoy it. Hope I've encouraged you a little. ;) You'll do great!

it is not difficult to do

try doing a bookmark for a first prohect

It just takes a little getting used to. It's actually easier than working with yarn...you don't have to deal with all the splitting :)

try starting with a size 3 thread, then move to 5 then on to 10. Sometimes it helps to do a pattern that you know. You know how it is to look and this sometimes helps.

Basically it is what everyone has said. It just takes time and practice.:hook

Alyblu, you should come on over to the snowflake CAL. You'll get practice doing thread crochet and the projects will be small enough that you won't be overwhelmed. :)

My best recommendation is treat it as skinny yarn. Don't think you have to work super tight to make it work. Relax and just crochet. It' truly not difficult. As others have suggested starting with a size 3 might be best.

There is no trick to doing it, other than getting used to the finer gauge. Do pattern you know how to do in the thread. Small projects to begin with may also be best. Relax and have fun with it. Us threadies will be rooting for you. :yay

My fingers feel like I lose all cordination. I am working on what I think with regular yarn would be a simple pattern. I wonder if it is that the stitches look so different to me - and maybe with time I will be able to "see" them better - if that makes sense.

I did a few doilies with #3, I did okay - not great - but I figured I was learning - I decided to try the pattern with the 10 thread that they called for and a 7 hook - and I just feel like I turned all thumbs!

Alyblu, you should come on over to the snowflake CAL. You'll get practice doing thread crochet and the projects will be small enough that you won't be overwhelmed. :)

Karin - would you mind posting the link for me - I would appreciate it - thank you.

Relax and take a breath. Then start out with a size 3 or a size 5 thread making a bookmark, or a small doily. You'll do fine, gotta have faith in yourself.

Here is the first post to the snowflake CAL. I've done two snowflakes so far. The first one was okay, but the pattern had an error in it. So I did the pattern again after I fixed the error. I still have a ways to go before I'll be satisfied how my thread crochet looks. Hopefully, blocking and starching the flakes will bring out the best in them.

It is awkward at first; but when you get started and continue to practice it will become easier.

You might want to start out on a simple edging or a thread crochet grannie square.

My grandmother taught me to crochet the shell stitch edging as one of my first lessons in thread crochet.

Don't give up. Keep trying. I know you will love it. pinkroses

The more you work the better you will get. I find myself turning to thread more and more these days. Now when I work with yarn it makes me feel like all thumbs. You just really have to get thread into your comfort zone. If you relax with it and have fun you will be fine!!!!!!!!

Suzan

Some of the thinner cotton yarns are a good segue to working with thread, like Paton's Grace... it's pretty thin stuff but still qualifies as yarn. You get used to using the the 'thinner' stuff, smaller hook... and then, yes, #3 is a good size to work with.

I find that I occassionally have problems with the thread 'twisting' - I don't know if others have run into this or if perhaps I'm giving it a little 'twist' with each stitch and finally ending up with a little twisted spot in my yarn that I have to 'unwind'.

I also find it easier to work with thread if I put it on something to allow it to unwind easily instead of flopping around on the floor... let me see if I can find a picture or a link... okay. check out post #9 on this thread http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11595&highlight=thread+ball+holder

My DH made this handy gadget for me to hold two balls of thread but I also use it when I'm working with a single ball... and as you can see in the second picture, it's just toilet paper holders!

threadholder011.jpg

threadholder009.jpg

Here's one on eBay, inexpensive (not familiar with the seller) but it's a good idea! http://cgi.ebay.com/CROCHET-THREAD-HOLDER-CROCHETING-TATTING-CRAFTS_W0QQitemZ190066015063QQihZ009QQcategoryZ83906QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So I guess my big suggestion on working with thread is finding something to hold it so you're not wrestling with it... hopefully you can put all our suggestions together and take the ones that work for you and be making a #10 thread bedspread by the end of next week:eek

Hee Hee - I am ambitious - but I do not know about the bedspread! I would like to make curtain shears though!

I have played with it all day - I fianlly had to put it down and give myself a break.

Thanks for all the input! The encouragement helps!

And that thread holder idea is awesome!

Like funkyreporter said, it is easier if you have something to keep your thread from bouncing all over the place. This is what I use

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=162214&postcount=17

It is nothing more than a papertowel holder. I also have one that has rubber on the bottom, this I place on the floor and it doesn't move.

Check out Walmart, Kmart or Target or even the dollar store. They are cheep and boy do they make it easier to work with the thread.:hook

FunkyReporter

My DH made this handy gadget for me to hold two balls of thread but I also use it when I'm working with a single ball... and as you can see in the second picture, it's just toilet paper holders!

threadholder011.jpg

I LOVE YOUR thread holders!!!! I showed the pic to my husband and he said he can make that up for me!!!!! What a great idea!!!!

Suzan

I had not crocheted in a few years when I had my first child. I made her a blanket and then she became involved with Barbie dolls. We were on state help so not alot of cash for toys. My mother gave me a book of doll clothes and I jumped right in. I tore that dress out at least five times a day but finally finished it. That was about 8 years ago, she has since outgrown barbie dolls but still has the first dress I made on one of the three dolls she keeps. Now i create my own filet designs and love thread. My advice, just jump in, but perhaps try a simple square filet design it is a great beginner project.

All these ideas are great.

Do you get to the point where needle placement is intuitive? With regular yarn - I can crochet without having to look suer close at the stitches - my fingers can feel the next stitch - and right now I feel like I can't do that at all.

I'm trying to get comfortable with thread crochet as well. Two things help me: bright light and a magnifying glass. If you get the contraption that sits on your head with both the light and magnifier, you might be on the way to becoming more comfortable.

I'm trying to get comfortable with thread crochet as well. Two things help me: bright light and a magnifying glass. If you get the contraption that sits on your head with both the light and magnifier, you might be on the way to becoming more comfortable.
Um - I do not think I could go that far. I agree about brigt light - but if I had to go the magnifying route - I know I would give up.

Oddly, I felt confident with thread long before I felt good about yarn! I want to make a bedspread someday, but there is so much time committment to something like that, and besides, I have critters. It'll have to wait.

Just jump in with something small. Pineapple patterns are very satisfying to me, I enjoy seeing the pattern develop as I work.

I need to get myself one of those paper towel holders. Really good idea.

As for myself, I learned how to crochet with size 30 thread. It was a long time before I even tried yarn. The main thing is to know how to read instructions. As you see your pattern evolving into what the picture looks like, you will see that it is no different whether it is thread or yarn. You will do just fine. You just need to "know you can do it." :hug:manyheart:yes

Thanks Barbara - I have been practicing - it is still really slow going, but I am trying more every day.

having the right hook helps too! When i did my first doily it felt like I was clumsy and unable to have the hook and thread coordinate to make the stitches. I bought myself some Boye hooks since that was what I used for yarn and the next doily that I did turned out great and took just a fraction of the time that the first one did mainly because I had a hook that I liked :) good luck