Do you wash afghans before you give them?

Tonight I am weaving in the final ends on my neices Christmas afghan.

Question- Do you wash afghans that you are giving as gifts before you give them to soften them up?

I used a combo of Red Heart and Caron SS. (Don't ask :P) and the RH could use a little softening up.

Also do you put this in the drier?

I want to do the washing tomorrow so I need advice.

Thanks.

I try to wash before I give them, problem is I usually finish right at the last minute, lol. Anyway, with my daughters blanket I made her, I washed it to soften it up, and I put it in the drier on low heat, with a damp towel, and 2 fabric softener sheets. Worked like a charm!

I always try to wash afghans before I give them away. This is partly to soften them, but partly also to get rid of any stray dog hairs that might be clinging to it. It's amazing how much fur can get stuck in it when the dog isn't even nearby!

I always handwash my blankets with a little bit of washing powder. I gently wring them out by hand, then roll them in a towel and squeeze to remove excess water. Then I spread it out on top of towels over a drying rack and leave it outside (in the shade). It can take awhile to dry, but the blanket always comes out really soft and smelling lovely.

I just haven't been game to attempt to throw them in the washing machine and we never use the dryer so don't tend to even think of that as an option!

I always wash items before handing them over as there is a smoker in the house and there is nothing worse than something smelling of stale smoke. I wash items in the machine with some softener and dry outside if possible then dash it to the car to wrap and send. Also yes getting rid of any fluff that might have gotten in.

yes wash it to be sure xxx

Wash, in machine on gentle cycle but NO FABRIC SOFTENER.. it causes things to be much more flamable. Instead use white vinegar. It also softens, and doesn't leave an odor.

I also tumble dry on low.. and no softener sheets either (recipients might be allergic).

Lisa

How much vinegar do you add?

I'd like to know that, too, since I always wash afghans before gifting them::dog :dog ...just in case there were dog hairs from my German shepherds...:P

I also use fabric softener.

:sher

approximately 1/2 cup per full wash load works for me, but I have soft water anyways...

There is no vinegarly smell left.. or at least I can't smell any, and my family hasn't mentioned it either.

I also wash and dry afghans before gifting, I usually put a dryer sheet in with the full size ones but omit if it's a baby afghan because they have such sensitive skin. I find it just the act of washing and drying them softens them up a lot. I usually wash and dry them on their own as I've found that towels, etc can leave little pills on some yarns.

Vinegar will also help colour fast the darker colours if washed in cold.

although I've never tried with vinegar but I've heard 2 teaspoons is good enough. I would not use fabric softener or drying sheets though, mostly because the recipients may be allergic to them (one of my nephew is allergic to fabric softener).

I also wash and dry on prmanet press or hand wash cycle. I also use fabric softner and a dryer sheet. They come out smelling wonderful. And very very soft!!!!!!!!!. (dry on low heat and they will be fine).

Good luck!!!!!!!!

I made a doggy sweater and the giftee's owner dried it in a commercial (laundromat) dryer and destroyed it - it apparently would now fit a small boxer instead of a min schnauzer.

How it is dried does matter.

Yes, I wash my things....but sometimes I get alot of fuzz balls. Especially the Chicago Bears scarf I just did for my son Jacob. I also find when I use Red Heart it is stiff. And we do have a dog, short haired but no less a dog...and he gets hair on my stuff.

I always try to wash them cause of my four-legged babies! I use Downey fabric softener with the green lid. (I love that smell) It appeals to more of the senses and adds to the presentation!

A few months ago there was a long discussion on the use of vinegar, instead of having another long discussion her are the web pages that have all the scoop on it.

http://www.vinegarbook.co.uk/vinegar_tips_vinegar_for_laundry.shtml

also

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/homemaking/vinegar.html

I use vinegar exclusively now, it makes my crochet work look, feel and smell wonderful.

Hope this helps

I made a grannie sq. done with the 3dc & v-stitchs. And the blanket when I washed it was very soft. I've never washed them before giving them out. I put them in with very little detergent & dried on very low heat and it came so soft. Thanks for the advice.

jaye

Archived