Ballet Slippers for toddler

Tapanga

I recently posted pictures of the slippers I made for my 22 month old daughter. I am posting the pattern, but please be aware it was made to fit her foot. She is currently in size 5 in toddler shoes and this pattern has NOT been tested.

Ballet Slippers

-Designed by Cynthia Gurisko 12/06

Slipperfinished.jpg

Yarn: small amount of wosted weight

Hook: H

Skill: Easy

Materials: Small amount of elastic for straps

Sole

Row 1: Ch 18, sc in second ch from hook, sc in next 16 chs, 5 sc in last ch. Working down opposite side of chain, sc in next 15 chs, 2 sc in last ch, join with sl st to first sc.

Row 2: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 16 sts, 2 hdc in each of the 5 sc, hdc around, 2 hdc in last 2 st, join with sl st.

Row 3: Ch2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 18 st, 2 hdc in next 3 st, hdc around, 2 hdc in last 2 st, join with sl st.

SIDES

Row 4-5: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in each st around, join with sl st.

Row 6: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 16 st, (dc next 2 st tog) 8 times, hdc around, join with a sl st.

Row 7: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in next 15 sts, (dc next 2 st tog) 6 times, hdc around, join with sl st.

Row 8: Ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 15 st, (dc next 2 tog) 3 times, sc around, join with sl st. Finish off.

Straps

Measure against child’s foot for best results. To attach straps, mark stitches evenly on either side of slipper before sewing. Sew elastic to either side with enough tension to keep slipper on child’s foot without being uncomfortable. NOTE: My elastic measured at about 3 ¼ inches from edge of slipper over foot to other edge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you wish to make the ballet slippers turn out smaller, simply use a fingering yarn and smaller hook, such as a size C or D. I will work a set up tomorrow and post them on my blog. You can also substitute the yarn with crochet thread and use a size 5 steel hook to get a small baby slipper. If you don't want to use elastic you can crochet a strap and use a button at the side. The pattern would still belong to Cynthia however.

I am all for anyone using the pattern as a base. I feel its a basic slipper pattern made larger, so feel free to improvise it however you see fit.

I changed it a bit myself. I continued on with the decreases across the top of the foot and then attached small cuffs turning it into a bootie. For the cuff I made it the height I wanted and then just sc back and forth in the back loops only to give it that nice stretch.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi. I just wanted to thank you for the beautiful pattern. I made a pair for my 21 month old daughter to wear in the hospital and SHE LEAVES THEM ON!!!! :lol I used bright pink and purple. I did find that if I added another row exactly like the last one I didn't need elastic.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

I would like to make this slipper for my niece. She just turned 3 years old. I don't know how to adjust sizes, yet. Gracie, wears a size 9 in shoes. Could someone help me adjust this pattern from the size 5 - into a size 9? Thank you for your help and for sharing this pattern.

You can increase the size of the starting chain and then just follow the pattern for the increases. Can you measure her foot in inches? I may be able to whip one up and see what I can come up with.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh how adorable! I've only just decided to start learning crochet but have my eye on those when I know what I'm doing! How difficult would you rate the pattern?

I'm also wondering how easy it would be to adjust for different sizes? My DD only has size 1.5 feet! And that is a UK 1.5 and I'm guessing yours are a US size 5.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am definatly going to try these as soon as I am finished with a couple other things. My daughter is in size 8... so ill let you know how it works out. Thanks so much for the pattern.

Archived